PDA

View Full Version : Found a mandolin at a Cash America store

patchworkgirl
Aug-04-2013, 9:21pm
I'm not sure if the photos show up, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this instrument:

I don't think that Jara (what's on the label) is the name of the mandolin... it's one of those stick on letter stampers...

Cheers,
Jessica

Jim Garber
Aug-04-2013, 9:44pm
It looks like a cheap import. Did you play it? Is it decent?

mrmando
Aug-04-2013, 10:13pm
I'd leave it alone.

vegas
Aug-05-2013, 12:38am
I'd leave it alone.

Good advice, but if you've played other stringed instruments so you can judge it sounds and plays OK and is 50 bucks or under, go ahead as a beginner mandolin. Otherwise, put "first mandolin," "beginner mandolin" and similar search topics into this board's search engine. You will bring up enough information to begin to direct you to making some informed choices.

JEStanek
Aug-05-2013, 8:10am
I wouldn't spend more than $30 on it, if i could feel the action was OK, the tuners held and it intonated up the neck (at least through the 7th frets... That's a very inexpensive (to me) looking mandolin likely all plywood.

Jamie

bmac
Aug-14-2013, 1:18pm
Patchwork Girl:

If you tell us what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay we may be able to help you find something better. I agree that that one is likely very poorly made.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2013, 2:03pm
It looks a lot like one of these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79118-Key-Brand-Info) without f-holes and with a bit of a snakehead style headstock shape.