PDA

View Full Version : Bernabe #25

bernabe
Aug-04-2013, 8:29am
Just strung this one up. Thanks for viewing

bernabe
Aug-04-2013, 8:52am
A little more info. Adirondack top from John Preston, Big Leaf maple from Bruce Harvie [Spruce], varnish finish. Still need s a little cleanin' up.

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-04-2013, 9:18am
Breathtaking beauty!! Very nice!

William Smith
Aug-04-2013, 10:04am
Wow,Very nice mandolin love the looks and the blocks! You did a fantastic job on everything that I can see, Love it, There are so many great builders like you out there its just a shame that most of us can never play the variety that there is, Because there is more than " I want a Gibson,no I want a Gil,Kimble,Monte,Duff etc.etc.etc!" You know the names we all hear way too often. Well done.

juneman
Aug-04-2013, 12:43pm
Beauitiful work! I met you last year at GALAX. will you be going this year and bringing the mando?look forward to meeting you again. walter Johnson "JUNE" mandolins and guitars

steelhead1950
Aug-05-2013, 9:39am
As a rookie working on my first two scratch builds I'm very curious about finishes. Would you care to share your choice of varnish and method of applying it?

bernabe
Aug-05-2013, 2:16pm
I finished the last of a short-oil varnish no longer available so Ill be looking for another finish. Ive been brushing this thinned gradually enough to where I like how it goes on, one coat per day, leveling between coats. After 3-4 weeks, level, french polish about 5 sessions, level, then 3 more sessions. Something like that. It varies as FP doesn't always go on the same way every time. Juneman, yes Ill be there. Bring your poncho, looks like its gonna be soggy.