PDA

View Full Version : saw sierra last night

stevedenver
Aug-03-2013, 9:07am
Sierra is one of my favorites. I find something lyrical and fun about her playing, as well as the amazing articulate and expressive tone she pulls from her instruments and voice.

What an amazing performance. Second row, 20ft away. Opened with the octave mando, sang beautifully, plays guitar so well too. She plays on old gibby b-15 I believe and it sounds great mic'd. and a great compliment to her voice.

Her fluidity, and virtuoso playing left me speechless and awed. Her band is also amazing, especially her guitar player. Tony has nothing on him, truly. The entire band has a sense of humor and playfulness, lightness about their music and improv as well.

Great mix of jazz grass, BG, and a bit of pop/rock as well as her own compositions.

She is truly a performer, and more or less carries the entire set. She has a great sense of humor and audience rapport, and her band mates are clearly clever as well as tops. She had a percussionist in part of the tunes, from Berklee, who doubles as road mgr and sound man. He too was great, and it added a broader range to her set.

I was, surprised, that the venue, about 300 capacity tops, had only about 200 attendees. I know BG and mando are not mainstream, but I was still surprised not to see the place full.

She had an opening act called the Blackberry Bushes , a violin, bass (both classically trained) men and a female guitarist and singer. Also a great act, superb vocals, dynamics, interesting progressive arrangements of trad BG, and originals. A great group as well. The fiddle player and bassist are superb, really unusually fine, even as pros. I was thinking this will be a hard act to follow. I was happily shown otherwise.

Very musically inspirational evening. Sierra closed her encore songs, with old dangerfield on the octave mando, standing ovation too! A very energetic, humorous, gracious and genuine performer. I really do admire how these pros can do the circuit night after night, on the road, and still be at the merchandise table and sparkling for the fans.

joemcg
Aug-03-2013, 9:34am
She's the highlighter at Summergrass (http://www.summergrass.net/), a BG festival in San Diego County coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it.