PDA

View Full Version : Crooked Still

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-10-2005, 7:39pm
Has anyone heard of this band? they are now my most listen to band at the time being. my mandolin instructor knows the cellist. heres pretty much what goes on:

they are band with a singer, whos amazing, a ba#)0, whose really really good, a bassist, whos really really good, and a cellist, who is the chris thile of his instrument. he does mandolin chops, chords and a back beat all at once pretty much. its the most amazing thing ive ever seren/heard. they may have a few sound clips on thier site, im ont sure. but i just got hooked on them. sort of an alternative blugrass/folk band with a touch of jazz.

baron.

Harry H
Feb-10-2005, 7:56pm
Crooked Still?

I thought this was going to be another Folk of the Wood thread!

Jim M.
Feb-10-2005, 10:22pm
Crooked Still is great, and they're performing in San Francisco this weekend. Aoife O'Donovan is the vocalist; she also sings with Wayfaring Strangers. Rushad Eggleston is the cellist; he rocks! He plays with Darol Anger's American Fiddle Ensemble. Really good old time with a Berklee School of Music twist.

PhilGE
Feb-10-2005, 11:26pm
Their website. (http://www.crookedstill.com/) Different, but not, but very listenable. Not your grandpa's old-time string band... Met the bassist last fall at a contra dance and old-time music festival in Lansing, MI. He was backing up the Latter Day Lizards. (http://musaique.com/lizards/). Nice, talented guy. He was messing around with a tenor guitar (CGDA) at dinner. Fun to hear/see.

-Phil

Phil Jolly
Feb-11-2005, 12:44am
Caught the cellist, Rashad Eggelston with Darol Anger last summer at Grand Targhee Festival, then got to see him jam well into the night with tim o'brien, ben winship and Darol and he blew me away, easily the most amazing musical performance i've ever seen, i didn't know a cello did that

erick
Feb-12-2005, 2:19am
Nice to hear high praise for Crooked Still. I recorded their album in my studio, and members of the group have worked as session musicians on numerous other projects at Wellspring over the last few years. Each in their own way, they are all monsters on their instruments. Aoife O'Donovan's vocals were 99% live in the studio, virtually no fixes at all in three days of recording. Pretty scary!

As an aside, they're also all very nice folks. Rashad can be a little hyper at times, but you don't get to be a cellist like he is ( not to mention a mean flatpicker on guitar) sitting around doing yoga all day. He broke the strings on two cello bows in one day- ended up finishing the song with Cory's bass bow!

My studio's called Wellspring Sound, and we generally recommend that people include mandolin on each and every song they record with us....