PDA

View Full Version : Stradolins getting kinda pricey?

jaycat
Aug-01-2013, 3:42pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/67998

Looks like a nice one, but still . . . maybe some of the Stradolin social group could offer their thoughts? There's another one here a little cheaper but with a laminate top:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/67829

I'd love to pick up a Strad some day but it seems I've seen them at lower prices . . .

Spruce
Aug-01-2013, 3:45pm
Seems fair to me?

vegas
Aug-01-2013, 3:51pm
These appear to be in nearly perfect condition which may account for their pricing. I've seen less than pristine instruments selling for at least a hundred dollars less on eBay.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-01-2013, 3:52pm
$400.00 or so seems to have become the price for decent models. I'm shocked by that of course. I paid $50.00 including shipping for mine. The problem is that people try to get that sort of money from the import model. The import Strad's should be used for firewood and not sold.

jaycat
Aug-01-2013, 3:54pm
. . .The problem is that people try to get that sort of money from the import model. . . .

OK, I'll bite. How do you tell the difference (via long-distance)?

MikeEdgerton
Aug-01-2013, 3:59pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?35121-Stradolin&p=451770#post451770) is a handy dandy explanation

acousticphd
Aug-01-2013, 5:23pm
Stradolins getting kinda pricey?

I'm with you - seems to me the price of these has climbed beyond their value. $150, let alone $300, for a plywood vintage instrument is never going to tempt me. $200-$250 is as much as I would ever venture on the solid wood models, though I do think they are cool and would like to pick one up.

allenhopkins
Aug-01-2013, 7:35pm
Googling around, seems that $400 is the "new $250" in Strad-O-Lin prices. Almost every one is within hollerin' distance of that figure.

Don't find this disturbing -- though I'm glad I picked up my cracked-but-restorable one for $25 (yes indeedy!) 15-20 years ago. They've developed a bit of a reputation, there aren't any more being made, and the word on them is that they play above their weights consistently.

Which makes one ask: couldn't a similar instrument be made (here in the good ol' USA) for a reasonable price? No frills, no figured woods, painted-on binding and generic tuners and Insta-Crackle finish and all? Solid top, perhaps laminated back and sides, cheap stamped tailpiece, painted headstock "facing" -- just a good-sounding, serviceable, unpretentious instrument?

Mr. Dulak is doing something like this. in flat-tops, at Big Muddy. Perhaps there's no market for a Strad-O-Lin revival, since the Asian imports look prettier and are a good bang for the buck. But if someone could recreate the "shabby chic" of Strad-O-Lins, bet there are potential customers.

Bruce Clausen
Aug-01-2013, 8:38pm
I paid $500 for mine in 2003, and have put more into it since. That doesn't seem like very much to me in the mandolin world. I think you try an instrument for sale and it either speaks to you or it doesn't. Mine was the best mandolin in the shop, and ten years later I'm still using it regularly, not as my main instrument but still quite a lot. Good solid and very comfortable mandolin that never lets me down. But maybe "not for everyone". ;)

MikeEdgerton
Aug-01-2013, 9:21pm
I'm with you - seems to me the price of these has climbed beyond their value. $150, let alone $300, for a plywood vintage instrument is never going to tempt me. $200-$250 is as much as I would ever venture on the solid wood models, though I do think they are cool and would like to pick one up.

You do know the vast majority of the Strad-O-Lins are solid right?

mrmando
Aug-01-2013, 10:28pm
The import Strad's should be used for firewood and not sold.
As long as it's well ventilated and you're not breathing in all those chemicals...

Phil Goodson
Aug-02-2013, 4:06pm
I remember once saying that I'd never pay $1 for a gallon of gasoline.:whistling: :crying:

allenhopkins
Aug-03-2013, 7:54pm
I remember once saying that I'd never pay $1 for a gallon of gasoline...

And you never will again.

8ch(pl)
Aug-04-2013, 4:48am
Funny

mandrian
Aug-04-2013, 5:47am
Hi,

I think that's a fair price. I think they're the best value for money mandolins there are. I don't know why they're not recommended to beginners more rather than the usual lower end imports. They sound great and if you decide to upgrade later, you will always get your money back. I've never had any playability issues with them either

I guess some people just like shiny things.

Regards

bmac
Aug-04-2013, 7:04am
Regarding the $410 mando: I wouldn't assume the mando will sell at that price, or above. And until it does it is "wishful thinking".
The historic nature of the instrument may or may not have any influence on the buyer's thinking. It would not influence my thinking.

On the other hand. A new mando of that quality and sound would probably sell for at least $400 and likely more.

Jim
Aug-04-2013, 8:48am
On the other hand. A new mando of that quality and sound would probably sell for at least $400 and likely more.
Mine is not nearly as pretty as either of those but solid top at least and certainly sounds as good as any $400 mandolin. Gave $180 for mine a year and a half ago. I think the price will keep going up on these.

bmac
Aug-04-2013, 9:11am
"I'd love to pick up a Strad some day but it seems I've seen them at lower prices . . . "

I think if you check ebay every few days for a month or two you will find some interesting ones in good condition for considerably less than the above prices. Often you can find some pretty good players with a blemished or scratched finish. The finish on these are pretty delicate and sometimes they look far worse than they play.

Both of the above mandos have rediculously high starting prices in my opinion making them not true auctions. I would only judge by what an instrument sold for in a real auction. Not by what the seller is asking.

bratsche
Aug-04-2013, 11:22am
Yep, if you look at the past auctions on eBay, one Stradolin has sold for over $400, and it looked to be in exceptional condition. A few have sold for over $300, but the vast majority seem to be in the range of approx. $130-$280.

bratsche

bmac
Aug-04-2013, 12:39pm
When I started looking for Stradolins, roughly seven years ago, solid topped ones in reasonably good condition but maybe with some cosmetic work needed were selling for roughly $200 + or -. I think where the problem comes in is how the seller views his instrument in the world of instruments.

Dealers will sell a reasonably good Strad for up to $600. (I have seen them at $700+)

Individuals selling on this site will sell for considerably less than a dealer could get but still more than someone can usually get on eBay.

An actual auction on eBay with a very low or no minimum bid will offer the cheapest opportunity for the buyer... But of course one buys with no guarentee and little actual recourse if dissatisfied. I think this is the area where the bargains lie, price wise.

bmac
Aug-04-2013, 4:26pm
I think that Sradolin prices probably follow the economy rather than rise in price all by themselves. But even if they do rise in price they are still a great bargain for the sound you get out of them. Last year I played one of mine in a group full of new Weber owners and it stood up very well against $2000 instruments. One Weber owner wanted to buy mine from me.

allenhopkins
Aug-05-2013, 4:10pm
John Bernunzio has this Strad-O-Lin Junior (http://bernunzio.com/product/stradolin-jr-17022/) all-birch mandolin listed at $399 as a "Deal Of the Week," "sale pending" as of now. He had it listed for $499 before.

The main cause for dealer price rising, I think, is that the "word has gotten out" about Strad-O-Lins, they were seen as [1] bargains, and [2] vintage bargains (which they are, if you compare them to Gibsons, Bacons, Vegas etc.). So dealers and buyers think they're worth more, then when they were just scruffy little -- surprisingly good-sounding -- old mandolins.

New "bargains" -- Regals! Why not?

bmac
Aug-05-2013, 8:27pm
Regarding the Strad-O-Lin Junior mentioned above... That mando has a chunk out of the headstock and the back shows typical finish loss on the very delicate finish of the instrument. In my opinion that instrument would have sold for closer to $150 on eBay. Maybe less because most players don't want to deal with an instrument with a chunk missing from its headstock.

That is the kind of instrument I might buy to repair, but I would expect to get it for about $100 or less with that damage.

bratsche
Aug-05-2013, 8:31pm
But in spite of the condition, it sold for what it did because there are still lots of people out there who mistrust eBay, and who feel so much better about buying from a reputable dealer. (Glad I'm not one of them.)

bratsche

allenhopkins
Aug-05-2013, 9:15pm
Regarding the Strad-O-Lin Junior mentioned above... That mando has a chunk out of the headstock...Maybe less because most players don't want to deal with an instrument with a chunk missing from its headstock….I would expect to get it for about $100 or less with that damage.

No. Apparently some Juniors were built with an asymmetrical headstock.

Pictorial evidence. (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/1867288/p5_uvqm0fe0s_so.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gbase.com/gear/strad-o-lin-strad-o-lin-jr-1940-sunburst&h=562&w=320&sz=27&tbnid=0KGM0CSQdy0OzM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=51&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstradolin%2Bjr%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=stradolin+jr&usg=__A8_UgrLUZ3_9_LWqc8apYlUeXa0=&docid=tMjDrw87YL8Z4M&sa=X&ei=bFsAUp_YCte44APEwoDgDA&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=459)

bratsche
Aug-05-2013, 9:52pm
Man, you're right. Allen! I thought the same thing Bart did when I first saw the Bernunzio one. But here's another:

http://mygear.com/items/view/24219/false/1940+STRADOLIN+JR+MANDOLIN (and check out the price it was listed at!)

Now I just think that headstock shape is butt-ugly, and looks more like a mistake than a deliberate design...

bratsche

bmac
Aug-06-2013, 5:23am
"No. Apparently some Juniors were built with an asymmetrical headstock."

That's interesting... I don't think any of the asymetric headstock ones are shown on the examples in the Strad-O-Lin social group. I thought it was damaged and clumsily fixed. Some tech-savy person ought to copy that page to the Social Group pictures.

bmac
Aug-06-2013, 5:37am
$675!!! I wonder if it actually sold at that price!

MikeEdgerton
Aug-06-2013, 8:17am
I think the Bernunzio Jr headstock had been altered. I've been looking at these for years and I've never seen one shaped like that. It's almost like somebody was trying to fix a problem.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-06-2013, 8:24am
I paid $500 for mine in 2003, and have put more into it since. That doesn't seem like very much to me in the mandolin world. I think you try an instrument for sale and it either speaks to you or it doesn't. Mine was the best mandolin in the shop, and ten years later I'm still using it regularly, not as my main instrument but still quite a lot. Good solid and very comfortable mandolin that never lets me down. But maybe "not for everyone". ;)

Bruce has the fairly rare professional model Strad-O-Lin. The only model I know of that had the bridge in the middle of the F holes.

bmac
Aug-06-2013, 2:26pm
Bruce's mandolin (pictured above) is a Strad-O-Lin copy of a Gibson, but with Strad-O-Lin decore. It went by the name "Strad-O-Lin Artist Deluxe". If i recall it is fully carved without the use of steam pressed top and back. That type construction, with "tone bar bracing", allows the f holes to be placed lower so that the over all proportions are quite similar to a Gibson. It was quite a bit more expensive than a standard Strad-O-Lin. About double, if I recall.

allenhopkins
Aug-06-2013, 3:08pm
I think the Bernunzio Jr headstock had been altered. I've been looking at these for years and I've never seen one shaped like that. It's almost like somebody was trying to fix a problem.

Do you think the pic I found of the asymmetrical "Junior" headstock (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/1867288/p5_uvqm0fe0s_so.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gbase.com/gear/strad-o-lin-strad-o-lin-jr-1940-sunburst&h=562&w=320&sz=27&tbnid=0KGM0CSQdy0OzM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=51&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstradolin%2Bjr%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=stradolin+jr&usg=__A8_UgrLUZ3_9_LWqc8apYlUeXa0=&docid=tMjDrw87YL8Z4M&sa=X&ei=bFsAUp_YCte44APEwoDgDA&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=459) is of the same mandolin? It's ID'ed to "Players Vintage Instruments," not Bernunzio, but the descriptions are very similar, so "Banana" may have sold it to John B.

If the asymmetry of the headstock's not original, someone did a decent job of making it look that way -- either well-matched finish, or a "vintage-y" refinish…?

jaycat
Aug-06-2013, 3:44pm
The price on the laminate one has been reduced, I think for the second time. Now at $295 & negotiable.

Dear Ethicist: Since I started this thread, which may have driven the price down, would it be unethical for me to now jump on the lower price, or make an even lower offer?

Maybe somebody out there will relieve me of the burden of making that decision . . .

grassrootphilosopher
Aug-06-2013, 4:31pm
Bruce has the fairly rare professional model Strad-O-Lin. The only model I know of that had the bridge in the middle of the F holes.

Does it really have the bridge in the middle or is it rather that the symmetry is different in THE Gibson A-5? I think the Bruce-O-Lin has its bridge south of the centre also.

The price on the laminate one has been reduced, I think for the second time. Now at $295 & negotiable.

Dear Ethicist: Since I started this thread, which may have driven the price down, would it be unethical for me to now jump on the lower price, or make an even lower offer?

Maybe somebody out there will relieve me of the burden of making that decision . . .

For what it´s worth: I think that any thirties Strad-O-Lin whatsoever model is (condition is king) well worth over 700 USD anytime of the day/month/year when you consider its sound (playability too?) in comparison with its modern stepgrandkids Loar, Eastman et al. I might sound like a broken record but I have never heard any better mandolin in that price range than my old Strad-O-Lin. If we´d get together and you buy the drinks I´ll even tell you which Loar-, Duff-, Gilchrist-, Nuggetowner told me that they sound great (for what its worth: "It´s incredible that so cheap an instrument sounds so good"; vintage banjo guy [28 TB-4 fivestring conversion, 30ies top tension 7 fivestring conversion etc: "that little mando´s got a great vintage sound".). And I´m not interested to drive the price up because my Strad stays with me. You´ve got to play them to know them.

bratsche
Aug-06-2013, 6:33pm
Oops, I didn't realize the asymmetrical headstock one I found was the same identical instrument as the one Allen found, but displayed on a different website.

Players Vintage Instruments currently has this fancy model Strad, similar to Bruce's, for $995:

http://www.vintageinstruments.com/photos/inst37/fancystradful.jpg

bratsche

Bruce Clausen
Aug-06-2013, 6:50pm
(Olaf) "Does it really have the bridge in the middle or is it rather that the symmetry is different in THE Gibson A-5? I think the Bruce-O-Lin has its bridge south of the centre also."

The Bruce-O-Lin— I love it! Not sure whether the bridge is centred or not on the f-holes, but it plays in tune as pictured above. I agree with Olaf that the older Strads are terrific instruments.

Bruce's mandolin (pictured above) is a Strad-O-Lin copy of a Gibson, but with Strad-O-Lin decore. It went by the name "Strad-O-Lin Artist Deluxe". If i recall it is fully carved without the use of steam pressed top and back. That type construction, with "tone bar bracing", allows the f holes to be placed lower so that the over all proportions are quite similar to a Gibson. It was quite a bit more expensive than a standard Strad-O-Lin. About double, if I recall.

More than double, according to an old catalogue page Jim G. posted a long time ago. Regular model was $13.90, the Artist was $30. I wouldn't call it a Gibson copy though. Smaller body, shorter scale, no truss rod, no binding (top goes right to the edge), two transverse braces, one above and one below the f-holes. And I doubt if it was really carved. Nice wood though, and a good sound.

The idea of an objective market value for something like a Stradolin (or even a Bruce-O-Lin) seems odd to me. Many people here are probably using mandolins they paid ten times the amount for that we're talking about. If you want the instrument and can afford it, buy it.

Nice one there at Players Vintage. Thanks, bratsche.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-06-2013, 7:12pm
OK, let me rephrase that. The bridge is closer to center than the standard models. I'm going to go measure my Gibsons to see if they are dead center and if not, Henry is going too hear from me. :)

The Strad-O-Lin artist model like Bruce's is more valuable to those of us that know what it is. To everyone else it's just s Strad-O-Lin. Most folks that have passed through didn't know what they had. As far as being carved, I'm pretty sure mine is carved and it wasn't an Artist model but I've never seen another one exactly like mine either.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-06-2013, 7:15pm
Here's a catalog from the Strad-O-Lin social group. I may be totally wrong about the Strad Jr. headstock, take a look at this catalog. Is that headstock misshapen?

houseworker
Aug-07-2013, 1:17am
Is that headstock misshapen?

Certainly looks that way.

allenhopkins
Aug-07-2013, 1:25am
Trying to find other Strad-O-Lin Jr. pics with the asymmetrical headstock:

One from Musurgia (http://neccubemania.com/products.asp?ProductID=5296&CartID=152126872013)

One from eBay via popscreen (http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTA0NDgyOTc5/Rare-Vintage-Stradolin-Jr-Mandolin-eBay)

Of course, possible that these are all pics of the same instrument, which may have been listed/sold several times. Not definitively establishing that the asymmetrical headstock was a standard feature. Still...

bmac
Aug-07-2013, 7:00am

In my opinion the present price is still too high. Unless that the odd shaped headstock can be confirmed to be its original shape.

In fact I don't really understand your question... Making an offer is never unethical. And I doubt that our discussion has had any effect on its lowering price... Its price has dropped because it is still over priced for its condition.

jaycat
Aug-07-2013, 8:19am
In my opinion the present price is still too high. Unless that the odd shaped headstock can be confirmed to be its original shape. . . .

Here's a Photoshop-lightened version of the photo -- the headstock doesn't look particularly asymmetrical -- to me anyway.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 8:29am
That looks like a later model Strad not a Jr.

bmac
Aug-07-2013, 8:53am
That looks like a later model Strad not a Jr.

Yes... that is not the mando we have been discussing.

We were discussing the first mando in your post. The Strad with the misshaped headstock. I had actually forgotten about the second mando in your post.

jaycat
Aug-07-2013, 9:37am
Yes... that is not the mando we have been discussing.

We were discussing the first mando in your post. The Strad with the misshaped headstock.

Here is the first mando (the one for $410) again, digitally lightened. I'm still not seeing anything weird about the headstock.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 9:53am
There is nothing unusual about that headstock either. It's a normal symetrical Strad headstock.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 9:55am
In my opinion the present price is still too high. Unless that the odd shaped headstock can be confirmed to be its original shape.

In fact I don't really understand your question... Making an offer is never unethical. And I doubt that our discussion has had any effect on its lowering price... Its price has dropped because it is still over priced for its condition.

Look at Allen's post above yours. That is the Jr. with the headstock in question.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 9:57am
I'm revising my thought on the catalog picture of the Strad-O-Lin Jr. It looks symmetrical. I think it was an optical illusion or tired eyes on my part.

Revising this. I'm noticing (as did Bratsche) that he and Allen are posting the same instrument in different places. The close up though looks like it was done at the factory. I'm trying to piece together a collage of these to see if I can find more than one.

OK, The Musurgia one is different. There were at least two made.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 10:31am
Two different Strad-O-Lin Jr instruments with asymmetrical headstock.

Schlegel
Aug-07-2013, 10:36am
I'm revising my thought on the catalog picture of the Strad-O-Lin Jr. It looks symmetrical. I think it was an optical illusion or tired eyes on my part.

Revising this. I'm noticing (as did Bratsche) that he and Allen are posting the same instrument in different places. The close up though looks like it was done at the factory. I'm trying to piece together a collage of these to see if I can find more than one.

OK, The Musurgia one is different. There were at least two made.

I have two vintage Stradolins with in the asymmetrical headstock in my collection.
They are out there.

bmac
Aug-07-2013, 10:50am
It would be helpful if one or two examples of the asymetrical headstocks were pictured in the Strad-O-Lin social group photo collection.

acousticphd
Aug-07-2013, 12:38pm

Or maybe the thread has awakened the seller's Inner Ethicist to conclude "Price still way too High".

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 3:02pm
It would be helpful if one or two examples of the asymetrical headstocks were pictured in the Strad-O-Lin social group photo collection.

I put the headstock pictures I had up there. I'd like to see a few more of these come out of the woodwork. There's a part of me that wonders if the Strad-O-Lin builder had some necks made and they came out wrong so they created the junior line. That thing just looks odd.

allenhopkins
Aug-07-2013, 3:19pm
...There's a part of me that wonders if the Strad-O-Lin builder had some necks made and they came out wrong so they created the junior line. That thing just looks odd.

Concur, but at least we seem to have established that the one Bernunzio sold didn't have a "broken" headstock.

It was just, as Lady Gaga says, born this way.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-07-2013, 3:24pm
It's apparent that it was built that way. The sad thing is that we'll never know why :cool:

bratsche
Aug-07-2013, 3:24pm
I have two vintage Stradolins with in the asymmetrical headstock in my collection.
They are out there.

Good choice of words. They're "out there", all right!

There's a part of me that wonders if the Strad-O-Lin builder had some necks made and they came out wrong so they created the junior line. That thing just looks odd.

I know. It sorta reminds me of how it would look if it were made of chocolate, and somebody had furtively licked at it for a while, in between... ehm... "licks". ;)

It was just, as Lady Gaga says, born this way.

Ahhh, yes, inbreeding can indeed lead to such deformities!

bratsche

bmac
Aug-10-2013, 12:45pm
Some time ago I read on this site, I believe, that most lower end mandolin producers ordered blank necks and maybe shaped the headstock a bit for their own individuality. The odd shape may simply have been an experiment. But if so I think it was a half hearted experiement because the headstock lettering is in conflict with the headstock shape, making it seem even more odd, like a broken headstock.

davidb1
Aug-10-2013, 5:09pm
I purchased this on ebay last week..seller represented it as 30-40s..supposedly solid top..still waiting for it to arrive..Any opinions on age , or given current prices what it is worth..thanks105317

jaycat
Aug-14-2013, 12:52pm
OK, I got religion and spent my $400 on this baby instead:

Not to hijack my own thread, but I think I made out OK.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2013, 2:08pm
If you got it with the case you're a step ahead of almost every one else with one of those. I've owned several, only two had the original case. That's a realistic price by the way. What year is it?

jaycat
Aug-14-2013, 2:27pm
It was listed as 1976 but I think it must be '77 as the S/N is 26070 (according to Mugwumps).

And yes, it came with a HSC. Not sure if it's original, but it looks old enough and beat-up enough to be.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2013, 3:04pm
You can't buy cases that fit that mandolin so if you got a case be very happy. Make sure that you're looking at the mandolin serial numbers. That's a common mistake when people start to date these, they simply look at the Martin guitar serials. . You're within a few years of when they stopped making this model. The first one I ever had was 1921. In those years they actually inlaid the pickguard into the top.

Capt. E
Aug-14-2013, 3:26pm
OK, I got religion and spent my $400 on this baby instead:

Not to hijack my own thread, but I think I made out OK.

You got a steal. I had a 1926 Style B (rosewood back) that I enjoyed very much. It sold for $950 last year (probably on the low side at the time).

Now, I just won a solid top Strad on Ebay yesterday (inspired by this thread). Paid $206 which includes shipping and what looks like an original case. There are some pictures on my albums. (see link below).

Howie
Aug-14-2013, 5:32pm
I purchased this on ebay last week..seller represented it as 30-40s..supposedly solid top..still waiting for it to arrive..Any opinions on age , or given current prices what it is worth..thanks105317

It looks like you got a good one. 22 frets, some are 19, some Jrs are 16. You quite often can find an ink stamp dated on the back, directly below the finger board around the 12th fret. It will take a bright light. Should say Jan 21 1937 or ? That's where you could look. Once again nice Strad.

jaycat
Aug-14-2013, 7:13pm
You can't buy cases that fit that mandolin so if you got a case be very happy. Make sure that you're looking at the mandolin serial numbers. That's a common mistake when people start to date these, they simply look at the Martin guitar serials. . You're within a few years of when they stopped making this model. The first one I ever had was 1921. In those years they actually inlaid the pickguard into the top.

You're right -- that s/n would date it to 1926 if it were a guitar. And I am indeed pleased to have gotten the case into the bargain.

You got a steal. I had a 1926 Style B (rosewood back) that I enjoyed very much. It sold for $950 last year (probably on the low side at the time).

Found it on Craigslist. I've had remarkable good luck on that site (I know others may not have). So far I've found this Martin, a Taylor guitar, a summer vacation cottage in Quebec, and, oh yeah, my girlfriend of 6+ years.

Now, I just won a solid top Strad on Ebay yesterday (inspired by this thread). Paid $206 which includes shipping and what looks like an original case. There are some pictures on my albums. (see link below).

Looks like it's in great shape. Glad to have served an inspirational purpose!

(I love the cat photos. That's not a mando case, is it?)

bmac
Aug-15-2013, 7:48am
Your new Strad looks GOOD. You did well!

cmajestro
Aug-15-2013, 5:31pm
I ended up buying the Stradolin that started this thread, http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/67998 at a price of $310, after it was listed twice on eBay. I feel fortunate to have it at this price, since some of you thought the original asking price of $410 was reasonable. I figured that for a beginner, it was a good instrument as well as a decent investment.

Cindy in WV

bmac
Aug-15-2013, 6:02pm
Great looking Strad-O-Lin!

jaycat
Aug-16-2013, 8:10am
Enjoy! It looks like a good'un. And I think the actual starting price might have been a bit higher than $410 -- maybe $425 if I remember correctly.

bmac
Sep-01-2013, 7:04am
Cindy,

Just a thought about your last comment:
"I figured that for a beginner, it was a good instrument as well as a decent investment."

It is a decent investment in sound and learning. Financially it seems to float at just about the rate of inflation... If you care for it, it will likely not go down in value over the years, but likely won't go up much either. There must have been an awful lot of these made over the years. our little secret is that it sounds a lot better than its price would suggest it aught to.....

cmajestro
Sep-01-2013, 9:07am
By decent investment, I meant that unlike a new car, it won't plummet in value as soon as I "drive it off the lot"!!

David Newton
Dec-03-2013, 10:08am
So is this Orpheum a Strad o lin with a different name?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151160694957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

MikeEdgerton
Dec-03-2013, 10:17am
That Orpheum is a Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin, yes.