PDA

View Full Version : Old dog, new tricks!

cmajestro
Aug-01-2013, 12:43pm
I just attended Augusta Heritage Center Blues Week in Elkins, WV, with my son. It was my first trip and his second. He plays blues guitar and I don't play anything, so I took outdoor cooking classes. I had so much fun listening to the music all around me, that when I came home I bought mandolins for each of us. His is a Gibson army/navy, purchased after I did a lot of research using the great info here on Mandolin Cafe, and mine is a '95 Flatiron Cadet. I got some great advice on finding a local mando teacher, and in the meantime I'm having fun trying out the two-finger chords I found here!

houseworker
Aug-01-2013, 12:56pm
A rather belated welcome! Hope you're able to enjoy your mandolin yet resist the MAS that's so contagious around these parts :grin:

It's a nice looking instrument for sure and should serve you well.

billhay4
Aug-01-2013, 1:00pm
Good start. Enjoy the ride.
Bill

Pete Jenner
Aug-02-2013, 7:54am
Good on you. Great little story.

Dave Hicks
Aug-07-2013, 12:24pm
I just attended Augusta Heritage Center Blues Week in Elkins, WV, with my son. It was my first trip and his second. He plays blues guitar and I don't play anything, so I took outdoor cooking classes. I had so much fun listening to the music all around me, that when I came home I bought mandolins for each of us. His is a Gibson army/navy, purchased after I did a lot of research using the great info here on Mandolin Cafe, and mine is a '95 Flatiron Cadet. I got some great advice on finding a local mando teacher, and in the meantime I'm having fun trying out the two-finger chords I found here!

Hope to see you and your son - and your mandos - at next year's Blues Week.

D.H.

cmajestro
Aug-15-2013, 5:55pm
I had a glitch getting an instructor. The go-to guy just had a new baby and wasn't taking new students. I went back to the drawing board and asked my pro musician contacts, and was referred to a guitar instructor (and college music grad) who is comfortable enough with the mandolin to "get me started." I will have my first lesson next week. I was surprised there aren't more people in WV who are teaching. Maybe they are out there and I just haven't found them yet!! I did buy Mando for Dummies and the Simon Mayor book, but I really want someone to teach me proper basic techniques so that I don't have bad habits before I plow into the books.

Cindy in WV

houseworker
Aug-16-2013, 12:20pm
And now you have a Stradolin as well! I thought the MAS would strike before too long, but hadn't expected it to be quite that quick...

Hope the lessons work out ok.

cmajestro
Aug-18-2013, 6:43pm
Ha ha! So you put the two together! I was hoping to go under the radar for a little while longer before my disease was discovered!!