PDA

View Full Version : My new bluegrass mandolin

lolakota
Jul-30-2013, 1:28pm
Hello

I'm new on that forum and i say hello to everybody.

I would like to share with all of you the pleasure i had when i received my Weber A-Fern mandolin with a distress aspect. I got it from The mandoshop where i dealed with Kyle who was really a nice man.
As i'm a classical mandolinist, i was searching for a mandolin with a woody warm sound and i can say that the A Fern has for sure that great sound !

I let you discover that very beautiful mandolin...

Sorry, no icon for the moment with my message, i have to take time to see how it works :confused:

Stephen Cagle
Jul-30-2013, 1:49pm
You've got a really nice mando with a nice case I might add! :whistling:

DataNick
Jul-30-2013, 2:23pm
Welcome to the Cafe!

Very nice looking (and I'm sure sounding) Weber!
Are you familiar with Chris Acquavella?
His Classical Mandolin camp is this week: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001514.shtml

JEStanek
Jul-30-2013, 2:35pm
Welcome to the Cafe. That's a real beauty!

Jamie

bmac
Jul-30-2013, 2:40pm
A very respectable mandolin... I am sure that many of us would like to hear a sample of how it sounds. Also we would benefit from your discussion of it as you grow used to it and how the sound fits your classical interests.

Cheryl Watson
Jul-30-2013, 4:01pm
Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe and congrats on your nice (real purdy) Weber!

Steve Sorensen
Jul-30-2013, 6:17pm
Nice! Get pickin'!

Steve

Tiderider
Jul-30-2013, 9:08pm
Welcome to the forum and what a very nice mandolin you have acquired. No doubt I could see this in my herd. I also would love to hear a sample. Did this come out since the move over to Oregon?

Jim Ferguson
Jul-30-2013, 9:18pm
Welcome to the Cafe lolakota........that is a beautiful mandolin. Weber is known for high quality mandolins. Congrats!!!!
Enjoy this website too.........tons of knowledgable folks here to learn from. Also......there are lots of excellent bluegrass mandolin lessons on You Tube.........enjoy those.
Also.......the forum here has a ton of discussions on so many topics........you'll find lots of great info there.
Peace,

greg_tsam
Jul-30-2013, 10:08pm
+1 on the plaid.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-31-2013, 2:22am
Welcome to the Cafe & the Weber 'fan club'. One of the things that comes with a Weber instrument,is the superb after sales service that you can expect from the Weber guys & gals - enjoy your new instrument in the full knowlege that if anything goes wrong,you've got a heck of a team
willing to put it right,
Ivan~:>

tmsweeney
Jul-31-2013, 10:38pm
+1 on the Weber - looks like a beauty

Russ Jordan
Aug-01-2013, 7:53am
What is the build date on that mandolin? Are they making Fern A models again? Looks great--enjoy!

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-01-2013, 12:11pm
sweet!! enjoy!

lolakota
Aug-01-2013, 1:17pm
What is the build date on that mandolin? Are they making Fern A models again? Looks great--enjoy!

Oh yes, that mandolin has been built in july

vegas
Aug-01-2013, 2:20pm
Welcome! Nice gear! Who makes that case?

Bob Clark
Aug-01-2013, 2:31pm
Gorgeous Weber! I hope you love your Weber as much as I love mine. I am a real fan, as are many of the people here at the Cafe. That case is beautiful. I love the plaid.

Best wishes, Bob

lolakota
Aug-01-2013, 3:42pm
Welcome! Nice gear! Who makes that case?

The case has been built by Sam from Pegasus

http://www.pegasus-cases.com

Sam is a great guy to deal with. You can choose the color of the shell and also the inside tartans or velvet.

vegas
Aug-01-2013, 4:23pm
The case has been built by Sam from Pegasus

http://www.pegasus-cases.com

Sam is a great guy to deal with. You can choose the color of the shell and also the inside tartans or velvet.

Thank you for that link. I was not familiar with his cases.

lolakota
Aug-02-2013, 2:25am
Gorgeous Weber! I hope you love your Weber as much as I love mine. I am a real fan, as are many of the people here at the Cafe. That case is beautiful. I love the plaid.

Best wishes, Bob

Bob, what's a Weber sweat pea ? I looked at that mandolin but I have never seen a mandolkin like that. Just interested to know about it.

Bob Clark
Aug-02-2013, 6:50am
Bob, what's a Weber sweat pea ? I looked at that mandolin but I have never seen a mandolkin like that. Just interested to know about it.

Hi Lolakota,

It's a very small-bodied, flat top travel (or back pack) mandolin. It's a convenient mandolin to take on trips so you can practice while you are away. It's sound is sufficient for the purpose but can't compete with a 'real' mandolin. That may be an advantage when staying in a hotel; you don't disturb people in neighboring rooms even late at night.

Some Cafe members say that one should just bring along a regular mandolin when they travel, as mandolins are small enough anyway. I find this little mandolin more convenient to travel with for several reasons. It's small enough that when I am on a business trip and have to take just about all the stuff I can carry, this mandolin does not add significantly to the bulk of my load. It helps me to travel "lightly." Also, sometimes on a business trip, I'd prefer not to have to answer questions as to why I am carrying a musical instrument. The people I am meeting with might think I'm turning the trip into some kind of a junket, or not taking the business matter seriously enough. I can carry this little mandolin without it being noticed.

The Sweet Pea is great for this purpose. I don't believe Weber is still making them though, but I could be wrong about that.

Best wishes,

Bob

Pete Jenner
Aug-02-2013, 7:59am
So Bob - are you really taking the business matters seriously? Come on tell us the truth, you're among friends. We won't tell. ;)

TheMandoShop
Aug-02-2013, 8:23am
Welcome to the forum and what a very nice mandolin you have acquired. No doubt I could see this in my herd. I also would love to hear a sample. Did this come out since the move over to Oregon?

I'm Kyle from The Mando Shop. Anne is a delightful person and I had the pleasure of selling her this custom built Weber mandolin. This one was finished in Oregon. While I was out at the new factory in Oregon I was able to get a few shots of this mandolin during the build process. It was interesting to see it in this stage and then as a finished beauty. I also had the opportunity to spend some time with Bruce Weber Jr. at his bench. Bruce Jr. is on the right. I'm the guy on the left with the bad hair day! Kyle

lolakota
Aug-02-2013, 8:47am
I'm Kyle from The Mando Shop. Anne is a delightful person and I had the pleasure of selling her this custom built Weber mandolin. This one was finished in Oregon. While I was out at the new factory in Oregon I was able to get a few shots of this mandolin during the build process. It was interesting to see it in this stage and then as a finished beauty. I also had the opportunity to spend some time with Bruce Weber Jr. at his bench. Bruce Jr. is on the right. I'm the guy on the left with the bad hair day! Kyle

Hi Kyle :-)

Thanks to post those photos. Nice to put a face on your name :-)

To everybody who read that post, when i ordered my mandfolin to Kyule from the mandoshp, i decided to name my Weber Fern mandolin 'Lady Fern' and each time we spoke Kyle and myself, we always talked about 'Lady Fern'.

Do some of you give a name to mandolins ? For me it's really part of me, the mandolin is a very important thing in my life.

lolakota
Aug-02-2013, 9:14am
Sorry for the typing errors....:-(

Denny Gies
Aug-02-2013, 9:39am
Lolakota, welcome to the wild and wacky world of mandolins. You are in for a lot of fun, frustration and sore fingers. Keep at it thought, it only gets better. Have fun.

Bob Clark
Aug-02-2013, 2:50pm
So Bob - are you really taking the business matters seriously? Come on tell us the truth, you're among friends. We won't tell. ;)

Hi Peter,

I try to, but sometimes the highlight of the trip is when I get back to my room at night and can do some picking! I just am not always able to let on that this is the case. I'll bet quite a few people here know exactly what I mean!;)

Actually, even when I am not on the road, the time I spend picking in the evening is often the time that makes the rest of the day seem worthwhile. I am really fortunate to have found these beautiful little instruments!

Bob