PDA

View Full Version : My new Q-95; blue, soulful, and all mine.....

nobleheart
Feb-10-2005, 11:52am
Recieved the Blue Q yesterday. #I wanted to sleep on it to avoid puppy love. #I completely fell in love with blue, blue, blue. #Honestly, I was not sure what to expect. #I have never owned a new instrument let alone played a "fresh off the press" mandolin. #Needless to say, I am sold. #Fit to finish this is a truly amazing mandolin. #No shortcuts or subtle flaws are on this beuty. #Obviously the first thing to strike me was the Blue. #Rigel did a perfect job. #The blue top is very subtle and tranquil. #But, the back, sides, and neck are off the charts. #In Oklahoma we call that flamekissed. #A beautiful thing. #The upgraded fretboard block inlays were worth twice what we payed. #A fantastic and dream fulfilling addition. #From an aesthetic perspective I dare to say "Perfect".

Now for the juicy goodness. #Tone and playability are silky soft and full of soulful character. #My wife and I mainly play older big band and jazzy/blues classics; a lot of Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and down home blues songs. #This mandolin will provide us with those smooth transitional riffs and provide a robust backgroud with those four-finger closed positioned chordings. #The mando had great tonal qualities out of the box, but we were amazed at improvement that was apparent only after 15 min. of playtime. #She is opening up beautifully. #Which seems to be a hint that she will grow O so sweet with time. #

Playability is simply outstanding. #The neck is perfect. #An accurate mix of comfort and efficiency. #Each and every fret is finished to perfection. #Intonation is without a doubt the best I have ever seen. #From harmonics to slideing to the 14th fret, this is a materpiece.

Many pictures to come.

Ted E. aka Mandohack is completely to blame for this dreamy creation. I purchased this mando from him through Jazzmando.com . He was extremely helpful and really went out of his way to assist me in getting my dream mando. Fantastic individual. Thanks Ted and Rigel.

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2005, 8:25pm
<blushes>
Thanks for the kind words, Tim. This was an especially fun custom order for very obvious reasons.
I'm extending the courtesy of posting the pictures you sent me; I'm thrilled you liked it (though I'll admit, I expected no less..)

http://tannah.net/ted/images/Q95Bluey2.jpg

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2005, 8:31pm
Only bad thing about this is now my plain Whiteface Q-95 just isn't as cutting edge as yours. (I've been "one-upped.") And dang, now *I* want to upgrade to the block inlays, as well...
Nice touch, and wish I could claim that was my idea, but I'd by lying.

http://tannah.net/ted/images/Q95Bluey1.jpg

mandoJeremy
Feb-10-2005, 8:33pm
That is sweet! Congratulations! The block inlay does add so much.

mad dawg
Feb-10-2005, 8:47pm
Sweet.

(I kinda wondered why Ted didn't go blue on his Q; perhaps he will soon be placing an order for a second Q?)

mad dawg
Feb-10-2005, 8:50pm
Follow-up question to Ted and NobleHeart: is the construction and sound of the Q any different from an A+ with an oval hole?

(I ask because I have been fantasizing about a blue Q with F-holes.)

nobleheart
Feb-10-2005, 11:03pm
I have not played the A+ with oval hole, but I would venture to guess they are completly different creatures. As Ted has stated the secret sauce of the Q is attributed to the specifics of the carving.

Thanks for the praise....

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2005, 11:47pm
I've just been mailed more scrumptious pics:

http://tannah.net/ted/images/Q95Bluey4.jpg

Yup, the "Jethro" inlay really gets my juices going! The tortoise shell complements the blue even better than I expected, too.

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2005, 11:49pm
A flame on the back so intense you could burn your fingers:

http://tannah.net/ted/images/Q95Bluey3.jpg

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2005, 11:51pm
Full body shot. Check out that neck flame, too!!!

http://tannah.net/ted/images/Q95Bluey6.jpg

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2005, 11:54pm
And to think just the other day I was saying to myself, "Yeah, I thing I finally have all the mandolins I'll ever want."
Along comes Bluey Quey...

http://tannah.net/ted/images/Q95Bluey5.jpg

Tim, when Mrs. Mandohack comes at me with a rolling pin again, I'm blaming you!

siren_20
Feb-11-2005, 1:27am
Beautiful instrument! I really like the Q body shape.
I was wondering, though...(and I've wondered this about Rigels for awhile now)...is there a truss rod? And these are bolt-on necks, right? How/where do the bolts attach?

John Flynn
Feb-11-2005, 9:25am
They have a carbon fiber truss rod. I read an interview with Pete L where he said if the neck ever changes, he'll just install a new neck on the instrument, but it hasn't happened yet.

The bolts go in through the fretboard and the heads are covered up by the markers on the 12th and 15th frets. Two bolts at the 12th fret, one at 15.

mad dawg
Feb-11-2005, 12:17pm
I read an interview with Pete L where he said if the neck ever changes, he'll just install a new neck on the instrument...
Now that's customer service.

JD Cowles
Feb-11-2005, 4:59pm
nobleheart, that's a peach. enjoy it. i hafta chime in on the folks at rigel, they are top notch all the way. a real classy group. i'm the idiot for selling my a+...

nobleheart
Feb-14-2005, 7:38pm
Just a quick update on the blueyQ-
I have barely been able to put her down. My wife has been laughing at my study techniques; mando in lap or at side and book at hand...needless to say she has to keep an eye on me and force me to focus.

The Q is still opening up and becoming more and more silky as the days go by. i just can not say enough about the neck on this thing. Not to thin, not to thick, it is just right. My wife and I held a familial gig this past weekend. The blueyQ was very popular for obvious aesthetic reasons. We played through our mackie pa-808s mixer- and this little blue darling can certainly hold her own when plugged in...or rip through a Layla lead riff like there ain't no tommorrow.

Big thanks again to Mandohack and Rigel..Champions in my book.

keith_rowan
Feb-15-2005, 2:05pm
I've had a couple dreams about that blue beauty...
i don't think i'll be in a position to get anything like that for some time, but a guy can dream!

k

Pedal Steel Mike
Mar-03-2005, 1:54am
I haven't even received my blue A+ delux yet, (it's in the mail as I write this,) but I'm already gassing for one of these to keep it company.

Time to start saving up my pennies.