PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID & Value

careylee
Jul-24-2013, 8:23pm
Hi all, Carey from Melbourne, Australia here! I'm a newbie, so be kind :)

My father in law needs me to sell his Fratelli Vinaccia Mandolin to cover some medical costs. And i hope you don't feel like i'm taking advantage of you guys, but i've done a bit of research, and this is hands down the best collective of knowedge when it comes to mandolins.
Its dated 1923 on the label and is in pretty damn good condition given its age. It was his fathers before his.

We both don't know to much about it, but if someone could give me a bit more info on it, and a rough value that would be awesome.

10474610474710474810474910475010475110475210475310 4754

Jim Garber
Jul-24-2013, 9:11pm
Welcome, Carey. Vinaccia's are among the more desirable of vintage Italian-made bowlback mandolins. This one is a midrange one and looks overall to be in very good condition. I am not sure but it is possible that at some point there was some over-finishing. There seems to be some indication of varnish overlapping the scratchplate. Usually mandolins of this period had very thin finish or sometimes no finish at all on the top.

I hesitate to give you a valuation since i really don't know the market down in Australia. You might contact Graham McDonald (http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com) who is a contributor to these forums and lives, I believe, near Canberra.

careylee
Jul-24-2013, 9:52pm
Welcome, Carey. Vinaccia's are among the more desirable of vintage Italian-made bowlback mandolins. This one is a midrange one and looks overall to be in very good condition. I am not sure but it is possible that at some point there was some over-finishing. There seems to be some indication of varnish overlapping the scratchplate. Usually mandolins of this period had very thin finish or sometimes no finish at all on the top.

I hesitate to give you a valuation since i really don't know the market down in Australia. You might contact Graham McDonald (http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com) who is a contributor to these forums and lives, I believe, near Canberra.

Thank you very much mate! I'll see what i can find out. Cheers, Carey

JEStanek
Jul-24-2013, 10:23pm
I would second reaching out to Graham. He's super nice and very knowledgeable.

Jamie

brunello97
Jul-24-2013, 10:28pm
Carey, this is indeed an interesting Vinaccia, at least from my perspective as it is a bit later (1923) in date than many we have seen and the Via Chiatamone 32 address are new to me (which makes the 6th address that the members of the Vinaccia family have worked out of.) Thanks for posting!

Mick

careylee
Jul-24-2013, 11:56pm
Carey, this is indeed an interesting Vinaccia, at least from my perspective as it is a bit later (1923) in date than many we have seen and the Via Chiatamone 32 address are new to me (which makes the 6th address that the members of the Vinaccia family have worked out of.) Thanks for posting!

Mick

Great! I love this...the plot thickens. I'm a collector of antique tools and automobilia, i love tracing the origins and researching! thanks for the info mate, i've emailed Graham, just awaiting a reply. I'll let you all know anyway. Cheers, Carey PS thanks for the replies! Most helpful!

Liuteria d'Insieme
Jul-26-2013, 4:10am
Hi Carey,
being a luthier in Italy I saw many bowlback mandolins around, they were very very popular here some time ago...Your mandolin look like a Vinaccia simple model: woods are good and the overall work seems to be elegant and nearly perfect, as almost always in Vinaccia's mandolin, but it is not overdecorated or loaded with tons of tortoises and mother of pearl. I think in Italy you could sell it around 1000, maybe something more depending on sound and actual action but just decorated instruments reach higher prices here.

Jim Garber
Jul-26-2013, 7:43am
I would agree with Liuteria's assessment.

brunello97
Jul-26-2013, 9:46am
I would agree with Liuteria's assessment.

BTW, a lovely Facebook page at the liuteriadinsieme site--nice photos of repair and restoration work in progress.

Ma sarebbe bello se sapessimo il tuo nome, piuttosto che riferirsi a tu come "liuteria" .... ;)

Mick

Liuteria d'Insieme
Jul-26-2013, 12:28pm
BTW, a lovely Facebook page at the liuteriadinsieme site--nice photos of repair and restoration work in progress.

Ma sarebbe bello se sapessimo il tuo nome, piuttosto che riferirsi a tu come "liuteria" .... ;)

Mick

Lol, you're right mick, and thanks for your compliments, I forgot to sign the message ;)

Marco

careylee
Jul-26-2013, 7:04pm
Thanks heaps mate, really appreciate the effort of everyone replying. We need to sell it, so i'll try a few different avenues. Cheers, Carey

Jim Garber
Aug-02-2013, 10:51am
Listed on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281142918290) for AU$4000.

brunello97
Aug-02-2013, 11:12am

Is there a "yikes" emoticon?

Mick

Pete Jenner
Aug-02-2013, 11:18am

Yeah our dollar has taken a bit of a dive lately. It doesn't bode well for my trip to the states. :(

Jim Garber
Aug-02-2013, 11:50am
No real surprise that it was listed...

We need to sell it, so i'll try a few different avenues. Cheers, Carey

AU$4000 = US$3,565

Pete Jenner
Aug-02-2013, 11:56am
In March this year it would have been the opposite.

Tavy
Aug-02-2013, 12:31pm

Holy bowlback batman!

jesserules
Aug-02-2013, 1:45pm
Well, strictly speaking it's AU$4000 BIN, or alternatively "make offer". There's likely not many Vinaccias down there? Can't hurt to try.

Pete Jenner
Aug-02-2013, 1:50pm
Out of my league I'm afraid.

Graham McDonald
Aug-02-2013, 7:16pm
I think he is being rather too optimistic. Certainly not many Vinaccias around here, but not many people interested in them either. We did have, as Jim suggested, some off-line discussion but I suspect he has gone with what could be a high end European dealer's asking price instead what it might readily sell for.

cheers