PDA

View Full Version : Steven's Silencers?

PCypert
Feb-25-2004, 4:14pm
Hey,
Was wondering how you get a hold of some of these? If I'm not mistaken these look a little cooler than traditional grommets? Got a new mando and can't help but get accessories. Anyone know about these things or products like them (besides the 4.95 grommets from Greg Boyd's)? Thanks,
Paul

neal
Feb-25-2004, 7:55pm
Hardware store. #Or Steve. #If you live near a hardware store, they usually have bins of these. #They're usually about .15ea. #Steve's easier, and still kind of inexpensive, and I've read some good posts by him. #And he plays the mandolin, something that your hardware store guy most likely doesn't do. #Also weber makes something that attaches to the strings by the tailpiece,it's called a wood nymph (http://www.elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=wood+nymph). #Oh, check this out, Mr. upgrade my new mando guy ,this is way cool. (http://www.allenguitar.com/images/ra_TR-2b.jpg) At least I think so.

John Flynn
Feb-25-2004, 8:55pm
Radio Shack sells a bag of assorted sizes for $2.00. There are usually 7 of the size you are looking for in there and you should only need 4. You can find another use for the larger ones or just throw them away.

GTison
Feb-25-2004, 11:29pm
got some from RS they are harder. steve's are better. they work about the best of anything I have ever tried.

John Flynn
Feb-26-2004, 10:15am
steve's are better. they work about the best of anything I have ever tried
Each to one's own, but all the thing has to is deaden two strings. It either does that job or not. How do you get a value judgement of "better" out of that? Whether you use duct tape, leather shoelaces, Steve's Silencers or Radio Shack's, the strings are just as dead, which is all you need.

mcmando
Feb-26-2004, 11:08am
Perhaps the type of rubber may make one grommet better than another. I bought some hardware store grommets and when I tried to insert one on the E course I lost a new TI string.

I think the rubber on the grommets I got was too hard and the sideways pressure on the string as I inserted the grommet broke the string loop against the edge of the tailpiece hook. It was on a Rigel, and the stamped tailpiece does have kind of sharp edge on the hooks (as opposed to a cast tailpiece, for example).

Perhaps some grommets are made of a more pliable material? Just a thought... Perhaps I may be wrong and all grommets are made of similar material!

JPB
Feb-26-2004, 11:40am
may not be too attractive, but I've used pencil erasers in a pinch

John Flynn
Feb-26-2004, 2:53pm
Perhaps some grommets are made of a more pliable material?
They are. I believe Steve's are actually rubber, whereas I think Radio Shack's are vinyl. However, I have never had any problem putting the RS ones in or with associated string breakage on my Rigel. I insert them where it is easiest, halfway between the bridge and the tailpiece. Then I slide them where I want. No troubles.

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 8:08pm
how many come in a pack from Steve?

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 8:27pm
http://www.cableorganizer.com/grommet/?source=cor check this link out

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 8:43pm
one would be surprised what can be found googling...there are hundeds of places you can get grommets...

DannyB
Feb-27-2004, 7:03am
I found mine at work.. Just some small rubber gromets we use for eletronic work..

AlanN
Feb-27-2004, 7:38am
Yeah, sure you can buy anywhere, but Steve's a mando guy. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2004, 7:59am
..Yep..I know Alan...my point being is they arent as hard to find as some people think.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif I get them from work also..Im a maintenance supervisor for the local school system on second shift....ugh...but its good job..anyway..periodaclly we have to repair clocks that are equipped with American Standard movements..well the movements are mounted with these precious little grommets...I can buy them for .35 a peice..maybe a little high in cost but they are handy and made of real rubber... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif....on a side note...at SPBGMA Bobby Clark played #6 and he noticed the little grommets on it and said he had to get some of them...I gave him some as I did to Jeff Parker of the Lonesome River Band...

AlanN
Feb-27-2004, 8:29am
Hey Scotti, Bobby Clark, hmmm...ain't none better, imo. I picked on his fern one time, that's a killer mando.

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2004, 8:57am
..yea..hes always been one of my favs...One Legged Gypsy and Oklahoma Twister are great Lps....when I met him he wasnt what I expected..hes a bigger man then what I figured him to be...Taller..

Steven Stone
Feb-27-2004, 10:50am
While you can find electronic grommets many places, most are vinyl, which is a different material than mine, which are rubber. I tried both kinds and IMHO rubber is better - it is softer so it won't effect tuning, and it damps better.

I've just reposted my add in the classifieds for anyone who want's to try a set (which have ten grommets in a pack.)

SS http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

daveb
Feb-27-2004, 12:06pm
If anrone has a Hobby Shop nearby, the rubber grommets used for servo mounting in RC planes and cars are a perfect fit.

Dave

GTison
Feb-27-2004, 2:22pm
to reply to Johnny.
1 I'm sorry If I offended you about saying steve's were better.

2. It is true their job is to deaden the strings.

3. that's not MY only consideration. I think the rubber is eaiser to get between the strings and to remove too. These grommets (either kind) are better than anything which touches the top and may risk maring the finnish. (duct tape is gooey and leaves a mess) I've tried sponges, surgical tubing, foam under the tailpc.,leather, felt put between the strings. I'm sure there are others.
4. better is not a "factual" term anyway it's just an OPINION.
"new improved tide is better than cheer"
that "ching" doesn't bother very many folks does it.

DOES ANYONE THINK THAT DEADENING THE BACK SIDE DEADEN THE WHOLE MANDOLIN SOUND??? I'VE WONDERED a little anyway

Feb-27-2004, 2:33pm
grommets..grommets..grommets..grommets..grommets.. .ARGH!!

sbarnes
Feb-27-2004, 5:13pm
not currently politically correct but
smoke a cigarette down to the filter - put it out and jam the filter between the strings.....
did this many times on my old yamaha electric grand piano
works great, pliable, makes a mess but easily cleaned up, don't smell real good but gets the job done.....
just another option...

GibsonL00
Mar-28-2004, 9:35am
Has anyone found these silencers to affect sustain?

I have heard it recommended to use cast tailpieces. I presume the purpose of the recommendation is so some of this energy makes it to the mando via the tailpiece.

John Flynn
Mar-28-2004, 10:36am
Has anyone found these silencers to affect sustain?

Grommets should slightly improve sustain, although with a mando, sustain is so limited, it's hard to tell. Sympathetic vibration is an enemy of sustain. My take on the cast tailpeice thing was that they added mass and therefore vibrated less. Also that they don't buzz or rattle like some stamped ones. Some cast tailpiece designs include muting in the design, essentially doing the same job as these silencers.

I can't see how a tailpiece could add any useful vibrations to the top. First of all, the tailpiece shouldn't actually touch the top. It attaches to the tail block, which would be pretty dead acoustically. Second, the vibrations it gets from the strings are at whatever notes that are dictated by the tail string length, not the music being played. So even if it did transfer vibrations, they would be the wrong vibrations. There is a product called a "Fat Finger" that adds mass to the headstock on electric guitars with the same idea: To increase sustain by reducing sypathetic vibration in a non-tone-producing area of the instrument. Same idea, I think.

Just MHO, I am no expert.

evanreilly
Mar-28-2004, 5:50pm
Radio Shack part # 64-3025...
NFI, of course...

misifus
Mar-28-2004, 11:44pm
Perhaps the type of rubber may make one grommet better than another. I bought some hardware store grommets and when I tried to insert one on the E course I lost a new TI string.

I think the rubber on the grommets I got was too hard and the sideways pressure on the string as I inserted the grommet broke the string loop against the edge of the tailpiece hook. It was on a Rigel, and the stamped tailpiece does have kind of sharp edge on the hooks (as opposed to a cast tailpiece, for example).

Perhaps some grommets are made of a more pliable material? Just a thought... Perhaps I may be wrong and all grommets are made of similar material!
I put hardware store grommets on my TI strings, and they worked great. Didn't break a thing.

-Raf

Steven Stone
Mar-29-2004, 11:06am
Silencers can help sustain on mandolins and guitars (yes, I use them on both flattops and archtops). By eliminating out of phase sympathetic vibrations the silencers allow the strings vibrations to decay more naturally without interference.

And not all grommets are the same. I examined and tested many different ones before I settled on the ones I use. Radio Shack's grommets didn't even place a distant second - they were the worst I tested. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

John Flynn
Mar-29-2004, 1:54pm
Radio Shack's grommets didn't even place a distant second - they were the worst I tested.
No surprise you would take that position, given that you market your own version and RS sells them for such a better price. No financial interest here, BTW. Just FYI, he Radio Shack grommets were recommended to me by a luthier who makes $5K - $7K F-5s and ships RS grommets on his new instruments. I have used them on my Rigel for a year and a half, with no problems whatsoever. All the darn things need to do is mute the strings and stay put. It is not rocket science.

Mar-29-2004, 2:15pm
I use the old " strip of leather" trick on mine. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JDARTGOD
Mar-29-2004, 2:19pm
A little piece of leather under the strings (as they exit the tailpiece) and a small piece of (hidden) scot foam between the tailpiece cover and strings works for me.

mikeyes
Mar-29-2004, 2:29pm
One reason I like the RS silencers is that you can use the larger grommets to keep your strap on the end pin. Just force the largest one on and it will keep the strap from coming off. Of course, the pin might still come out, so hang on to your masterpiece if you are as concerned as I am.

Mike Keyes

John Flynn
Mar-29-2004, 2:32pm
Mike:

Good idea! I am going to try it.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-29-2004, 2:47pm
Yeah, but if you put silencers on between the tailpiece and the bridge you won't be able to make that cool "Psycho" sound effect. (From the scene when Kim Novak gets knifed in the shower.)

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Daniel

John Flynn
Mar-29-2004, 4:37pm
Yeah, but if you put silencers on between the tailpiece and the bridge you won't be able to make that cool "Psycho" sound effect.
LOL! Curtis Buckhannon does a sound effect with his pick on the tailstrings when he plays "Flop Eared Mule" that sounds like a mule braying. That doesn't work with silencers either.