PDA

View Full Version : Jbovier Zebrawood

Carolina Rookie
Jul-15-2013, 8:23am
I am really starting to like the Jbovier blacktop zebrawood f5 model. Does anyone on here own or have personal knowledge about these mandolins? I am curious how it compares to the f5 special. Obviously they are both quality instruments. Just wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the two.

sachmo63
Jul-15-2013, 9:06am
I have a Bovier "special" bought from the Kyle at http://www.themandoshop.com/. They are very nice instruments, not sure if they make the zebra any longer but worth a try.

Mine is very new, only a few months and just this weekend at a gig I heard signs of it really opening up and It really startled me. Honestly I was surprised that it happened so quick but its been getting better everyday.

As for the instrument themselves, it seems to me it has a pretty thin finish and is pretty well build. It has good tuners and decent tailpiece and bridge however i'm thinking of changing the both because i'm a "tinkerer". There are some issues with the binding but you really have to look and its a non issue for me. Kyle sets them up well and with the big frets they're easy to play.

I would recommend them highly and i'm not even going to say "for the price"

vegas
Jul-15-2013, 9:50am
I told the story of getting mine through stupidly bidding low on an eBay auction and ending up winning the bid. I thought it would go for much more than half the list price. When it arrived, I was surprised at how good it sounded and played. MUCH better than the Loar LM-400 we both bought from the same seller with similar unpleasant results. There are several Cafe members who are more experienced players who rave about their JBoviers but I don't think they own the zebrawood model. I still see them for sale new and used. They are, imho, a great starter mandolin and the owner, Jeff Cowherd seems dedicated to putting quality affordable mandolins in people's hands.

sachmo63
Jul-15-2013, 10:08am
I"m not sure about the zebra model but I would not consider my special a "starter" mandolin. I've played for several years and many years on guitar. Played and owned many many instruments and I would consider the bovier an affordable mandolin, not a starter.

Now, if your concerned with whats on the headstock then you should buy a well known name but if your interest is buying a good mandolin that sounds and plays good then these are great.

I also have, and selling a KM1000 that I would put up against any gibson/weber. The ky is made in china, granted but the quality is fantastic, like the bovier they're both affordable and sound great.

Carolina Rookie
Jul-15-2013, 10:42am
The jbovier I decide to purchase will be my first mandolin.. I am only interested in learning bluegrass. Does anyone know if one of these two models will be better than the other for that "bluegrass sound"?

Carolina Rookie
Jul-15-2013, 12:23pm
OK Jeff at Jbovier just answered my question. Man, his customer service is not something you find everyday. Stellar! I'm going with the f5 special. Can't wait to get it.

sachmo63
Jul-15-2013, 12:29pm
SOOOOO What did Jeff say?

Carolina Rookie
Jul-15-2013, 1:27pm
He said the f5 special had more of a traditional bluegrass sound than the zebrawood did. I pretty much had my mind made up on the special. I just needed a little more coaxing.

Carolina Rookie
Jul-15-2013, 1:34pm
If I put 1/4 of the time practicing that I did on research and asking questions about my first mandolin all I can say is, " Watch'em folks cause he's a fairly dangerous man"!

DataNick
Jul-15-2013, 2:28pm
If I put 1/4 of the time practicing that I did on research and asking questions about my first mandolin all I can say is, " Watch'em folks cause he's a fairly dangerous man"!

Jeff,

Before you order, seriously consider the A5 Special...same mando at almost half the price. Unless you're really hooked on the scroll/points; it makes more financial sense...but they're both really good deals!

sachmo63
Jul-15-2013, 4:39pm
Nawwwww, be a man. Go with the scroll. All Real mandolin players have scrolls............

At least thats my opinion:grin:

sachmo63
Jul-15-2013, 4:40pm
Did you see the zebrawood he's offering on the classifieds.......this this is gorgeous

Carolina Rookie
Jul-15-2013, 5:58pm
Sachmo, i did see it. As a matter of fact i spoke with him bout that one today. Jeff is very helpfull and has gone above and beyond to help me.