PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you're not "feeling" the mandolin?

Clockwork John
Jul-14-2013, 2:02am
I'm a multi-instrumentalist, as many are here, and lately, I haven't been "feeling" the mandolin. I play a lot of guitar, because it's the instrument I've played the longest and I'm the most comfortable with, and it's what I play(for now, at least) when I do my "solo acoustic celtic folk-punk" gigs(playing both Friday and Saturday next weekend), and lately I've been more passionate about the tenor banjo... I've acquired two new(to me) ones this year, and I've been playing the dickens out of them. I picked up one of my mandos a couple of days ago, and I realized that it has been sitting so long it had gone out of tune. So I checked my other two. One is even less in tune, and the third is sitting with a setup half done. Still need to finish filing the nut.

So, anyway, what do you guys do when you're not "feeling" the mandolin; when the passion isn't there?

almeriastrings
Jul-14-2013, 2:08am
Buy another one? ;)

TheArimathean
Jul-14-2013, 2:36am
Play something else for a while, look at new tunes in new genres to learn on various instruments, then eventually it'll circle back and you'll hunger to have that mandolin in your hands again.

Paul Busman
Jul-14-2013, 6:26am
Giving it a rest for a while isn't bad. If guitar does it for you at this moment, stick with it. The point is that you're feeling the music, not necessarily a particular instrument. If and when the time comes, the mandolin will start to draw you back.

Denny Gies
Jul-14-2013, 7:22am
I keep at the mandolin because I know the passion will return. Peaks and valleys have been standard for years in my playing and passion.

David Lewis
Jul-14-2013, 8:18am
Giving it a rest: not bad advice. The ore thing is to find a new player. Go and listen to something you've not heard before.

Brandon Flynn
Jul-14-2013, 8:38am
I listen to some mandolin music that moves me, especially focusing on the sound. That usually is enough to get me going again. Basically, I watch Thile playing Bach's Prelude from Partita #3 in E and I have to play some mandolin.

Pete Jenner
Jul-14-2013, 9:00am
Bungee jumping.

Jim
Jul-14-2013, 10:20am
Play another instrument, go for a bike ride, sail or windsurf. I know the desire will come back. If I want to play Mandolin but nothing I know interests me than I start searching through instructional material to learn something different.

mandocrucian
Jul-14-2013, 11:12am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ruuml-R4

OldSausage
Jul-14-2013, 11:30am
Finally get some work done.

Tom Sanderson
Jul-14-2013, 11:44am
Don't play it.

JeffD
Jul-14-2013, 12:15pm
Its not happened to me.

I get saturated with music sometimes, or more likely I get just full up with people and need some alone time. (2/3 or more of my music time is with other people).

That's what fishing is for.

But as for a mandolin specific weariness, no, its not happened to me.

Charles E.
Jul-14-2013, 12:17pm
I play my tenor banjo, the feeling for mandolin comes right back.

Chinn
Jul-14-2013, 12:35pm
I just change instruments when I feel that way. Lately I have been playing a whole lot of blues harmonica. I think it's actually good to change up on a frequent basis. It gives you a different perspective and allows you to see different methods, scales, techniques and sounds.

Shanachie
Jul-14-2013, 12:39pm
I learn a new tune. Usually when I get that way it means I've been doing the same thing over and over. Try picking out a tune or song that might be in a different genre than you normally might play. Present yourself a new challenge.

Jim Garber
Jul-14-2013, 1:56pm
I switch around from mandolin to fiddle to guitar depending on what music I am into or if i will be in a situation when I need to woodshed in a particular genre. Last spring, more classical mandolin so the guitar and fiddle had a rest. At the moment, my passion is in old time fiddle so my fiddles get a workout.

I also switch around on different mandolins depending on what is at hand. Luckily I have a nice stash to pull from.

Wilbur James
Jul-14-2013, 5:44pm
104465 Wrestle Grizzly bears!

David Rambo
Jul-14-2013, 6:48pm
Go golfing!

allenhopkins
Jul-14-2013, 9:06pm
I go days without playing, since for most of my solo gigs I need guitar, banjo and ukulele, and don't take my mandolin(s) for solo vocal accompaniment. Then I'll have need to get some mandolin stuff together, 'cause I'm working with one of the ensembles where I play lots of mandolin, and I'll break one out and polish up the music I'll be needing to play.

One thing I've done pretty consistently is bring a mandolin to our weekly folk club sing-around, and try to accompany (not too loudly) others' songs, including ones with which I'm not real familiar. I've developed decent improvisational skill, so I don't make an idiot of myself too often, and it gets me into playing in styles and keys outside my normal "comfort zone."

If you can do something like that with a fair amount of taste and consideration for fellow participants, I find it a good way to keep my hand in without dead-ending myself within my established repertoire.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-15-2013, 1:42am
From Pete Jenner - "Bungee jumping.". Terrific !! - spoken like a true Aussie Pete.
There's no harm in leaving mandolin alone for a while.On the few occassions when i've felt a bit jaded on any of my instruments,i've simply had a break.Usually you get to feel that way after maybe playing one or the other 'too much' & you begin to feel the need to get back to your other instruments. I don't know how it works on a mental &/or physical basis,but after my annual 2 week holiday,i come back to mandolin & it seems that i play 'better',or at least with more precision than i did before my hol. Maybe it just seems that way because i've been away from it,but it does inspire me to practice more,
Ivan

terzinator
Jul-15-2013, 12:25pm
not feeling the mandolin? I watch this.

http://blip.tv/dusty-wrights-culture-catch/sam-bush-one-take-brilliancy-5326547

mandocrucian
Jul-15-2013, 12:41pm
You're not married to the mando, and you haven't consecrated your soul to some religion or cult from which you can never withdraw. And t's not like you got tired of or bored with the dog/cat you've had for a couple years (and assumed responsibility for) and are about to send it to the animal shelter.

And if, like BB sings, "the thrill is gone", why do you want (why would you want) to hang onto a blah situation... when.... 'the thrill is gone'? Musical genres and/or musical instruments can be like old flames and "ex's". Awhile down the road, you think back and wonder... "What the ^*&$ did I've ever see in so-and-so?"

Even if you get burnt out on it, you can still take it out of the case when somebody is paying you to play it and you want the extra bucks. (Unless you're one of those "artistes-in-despair" and this concept is "pure prostitution")

Besides the (particular musical) instrument is just a tool..... the same as a hammer, screwdriver or belt sander is a tool. Play long enough and you'll realize they are all (gtr, banjo. mando etc), in the words of Ry Cooder or David Lindley, "one big instrument." But really, your instrument is your mind/brain....the thing in your hands at the moment is just the sound system to amplify your sonic thoughts.

http://tweaktoday.com/images/submissions/26025/large_man-with-two-brains-prima-001.jpg

NH

John Flynn
Jul-15-2013, 12:42pm
I've been having the same issue. I've found that my passion is strongly linked to performance and playing with other people. I play mando and OM at church every week and I get fired up and practice a lot around that. But outside of that context, I don't play it much. I wish I wanted to play it, but I just don't. There was a time I was jamming a lot and that got me fired up, but I haven't been able to find jams I like in the the area I moved to.

Some things I've done in the past that have helped: Try a completely different kind of music. Take lessons. Try a completely different instrument (I tried harmonica and I really like it. It has become a lifetime instrument for me.)

I'd say do what your heart tells you to do. If you want to play, play. If you don't, don't play and don't worry about not playing. Keep your instruments if you can afford to and think you will ever want to play again. Just MHO...

Barry Wilson
Jul-15-2013, 5:19pm
I too have been wondering. ever since I bought the mandola, I feel the mandolin is kinda cramped. I move around and will still play mandolin... for 2 weeks I have done nothing but play the OM

as long as you are still playing something, you are making music. one day you will be doing something and think, hey mandolin will sound awesome there