PDA

View Full Version : New KM950

Eric C.
Jul-10-2013, 9:12am
Hi folks,
Wanted to share a few pics of my new KM950 I received from The Mandolin Store yesterday. I'm completely overwhelmed at the tone and volume of this thing! It's way more mandolin than I was expecting for the $999.00 price tag. This one should do me for quite some time!

JEStanek
Jul-10-2013, 9:26am
I hope it gives you years of great service. Enjoy!

Jamie

Frank Farley
Jul-10-2013, 10:40am
That is a beautiful instrument for sure.I would like to have one to go with my Gay Fern.Sure hope enjoy it for a long time.

houseworker
Jul-10-2013, 10:46am
Glad it's lived up to your expectations. How about a sound clip?

Levi
Jul-10-2013, 11:51am
That is a beautiful instrument for sure.I would like to have one to go with my Gay Fern.Sure hope enjoy it for a long time.

Am I missing something?

Great mandolin by the way. I'm jealous.

Frank Farley
Jul-10-2013, 3:17pm
LOL,I meant Gray Fern.Sorry.

John Hill
Jul-10-2013, 3:29pm
Love that Griffith Loar look, glad they added the modern appointments with the radius & larger frets.

Ed Goist
Jul-10-2013, 9:55pm
Congratulations Eric! I look forward to seeing & hearing it in person!

FLATROCK HILL
Jul-10-2013, 10:41pm
Congratulations Eric! I look forward to seeing & hearing it in person!

Me too!

Eric C.
Sep-06-2013, 4:07pm
Glad it's lived up to your expectations. How about a sound clip?

Here's a soundclip. Apologies for the quality of picking in this (haha). THis was recorded into an Audix i5 instrument microphone, into a mackie mixer, into Audacity on my ancient laptop.
https://soundcloud.com/eric-cogar/cavehill

cayuga red
Sep-06-2013, 4:26pm
Well played!

houseworker
Sep-06-2013, 4:46pm
Sounds good!

mandolinlee
Sep-06-2013, 5:00pm
Eric -

Sounds good, hope to get to hear it in person on the 21st.

Lee

Nick Gellie
Sep-06-2013, 6:28pm
Hi Eric,

Because it has an Adirondack a spruce top it will take a bit of a workout with your mandolin to get it to its full sound.

Well done on the purchase. Enjoy!

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Sep-09-2013, 7:49am
Hi Eric,

Because it has an Adirondack a spruce top it will take a bit of a workout with your mandolin to get it to its full sound.

Well done on the purchase. Enjoy!

This is what I've read as well....that Adirondack Red Spruce starts out very tight but with time and vigorous playing it opens up very well. Some folks say it can take as much as a year to a year and a half to fully develop. I also believe that most if not all of Lloyd Loar's signed F-5's were Adi Red Spruce. Doesn't mean that I think that Red Spruce is the "holy-Grail" so to speak of the Spruces but it seems to lend to consistent full sounding mandolins.

carolinamark
Sep-09-2013, 12:48pm
Congratulations. Did it come with the fingerboard scooped?

Eric C.
Sep-09-2013, 1:35pm
Yes. It is the same as the KM900 except it has a radius fretboard, wider frets and a scooped Florida.

Willie Poole
Sep-09-2013, 1:46pm
The hype about the KM-900 was that it was made to be somewhat an exact duplicate of the Loar A-5, that being the case what could Kentucky do to make the KM-950 sound or look more like the original, sort of like the hype of the Gibson F-5 Fern (f-5L) which later they said the MM model was like the Loar F-5`s...Anything to sell mandolins I suppose, I own a KM-900 and I love it except for the narrow frets, mine doesn`t have the same color scheme as the 950 or a radi fingerboard...

enjoy it, they are great mandolins and well worth the price

Willie

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-09-2013, 1:50pm
Because it has an Adirondack a spruce top it will take a bit of a workout with your mandolin to get it to its full sound.!

Not to take away from a wonderful and one of my favorite mandolin (I've owned three KM900 and they were all great), but I am not sure that the KM900/KM950 has an Adirondack spruce top. Back when the KM900 was first introduced (2009?) the marketing literature described it as being built with an adi top, but not long after (2010?), the description was updated to just a solid spruce top. Currently, I can't find anywhere that says these come with Adi top.

Nonetheless, no matter what the top wood is, the KM900/950 are outstanding in every way, and congrats on a wonderful purchase. Whenever I see one for sale, it always stirs up MAS in me no matter what I'm playing at the moment.

Nick Gellie
Sep-10-2013, 9:17pm
Eric,

I would suggest using a slightly heavier pick. Wegen now makes a mandolin style pick that would do the job. There are other picks that do the job. I was given free a redline Acoustics pick that slides beautifully over the strings. For a slighter brighter sound I could use a Jim Dunlop 1.07 mm. The heavier picks just brig the woody tone in the mandolin while still getting brightness out of the trebles.

You chose well to pick a Kentucky KM-950 mandolin. They are amazingly good value and have a good sound and are beautifully built.

Eric C.
Sep-11-2013, 7:09am
Howdy,
I typically use a Freakishly Large V-Pick (2.75MM thick). I don't know why but on this recording I used a much thinner pick.

Eric,

I would suggest using a slightly heavier pick. Wegen now makes a mandolin style pick that would do the job. There are other picks that do the job. I was given free a redline Acoustics pick that slides beautifully over the strings. For a slighter brighter sound I could use a Jim Dunlop 1.07 mm. The heavier picks just brig the woody tone in the mandolin while still getting brightness out of the trebles.

You chose well to pick a Kentucky KM-950 mandolin. They are amazingly good value and have a good sound and are beautifully built.

FLATROCK HILL
Sep-11-2013, 8:13am
The hype about the KM-900 was that it was made to be somewhat an exact duplicate of the Loar A-5, that being the case what could Kentucky do to make the KM-950 sound or look more like the original, sort of like the hype of the Gibson F-5 Fern (f-5L) which later they said the MM model was like the Loar F-5`s...Anything to sell mandolins I suppose, I own a KM-900 and I love it except for the narrow frets, mine doesn`t have the same color scheme as the 950 or a radi fingerboard...

enjoy it, they are great mandolins and well worth the price

Willie

Willie, I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, or if I understand the meaning you intended.
It sounds like you are asking "what could Kentucky do to make the KM-950 sound or look more like the original?" (I added the question mark.)
Then you seem to compare the marketing strategy of Kentucky to the "hype of the Gbson F-5 Fern". You follow that up with the statement "Anything to sell mandolins I suppose".

You go on to say that you own a KM-900 and that you love it except for the narrow frets.
I think you answered your own question. Kentucky isn't trying to change the look or sound of the mandolin. They're just giving their customers some options.

9lbShellhamer
Sep-12-2013, 11:38am
Nice mando!

I can't wait to try one of these out. At my local shop I had a chance to play a Breedlove and really liked the wider nut and larger frets. I'm excited to try the Kentucky 950 to compare.

Have you had the chance to play both to compare?

Congrats on your new buy!

Nick Gellie
Sep-13-2013, 12:38am
9lbShellhamer,

The KM-950 mandolin to my ears is a traditional woody open sounding mando with good overall balance across all the strings. While I have not played a Breedlove mandolin I would imagine it has a more modern bright sound. I have not tried a Breedlove but that is what other people have been saying. You should look up old 'Breedlove' threads on the cafe. You will find you answer there I would think.

Canoedad
Oct-09-2013, 10:27am
How small are the frets on a KM-900? Are they as small as Eastman frets or a little larger?

A KM-900 popped up here on the classifies and I finally fell. It spoke to me. I've been an oval guy (2 Webers) so far. I'm anxious to try out the F sound too.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=59708941560566CB&id=59708941560566CB%211797&authkey=%21AFXSLBcc7EuYFYg&v=3

9lbShellhamer
Dec-02-2013, 7:07pm
hahaha... Couldn't resist. I ordered the Mandolin Store's last km 950 last week. I'll be opening the box in 24 hours!

Canoedad
Dec-02-2013, 7:30pm
Congratulations. Is that an upgrade from your KM-160 (if I remember correctly)?

Jim Kirkland
Dec-03-2013, 11:10am
Dennis is a super guy to deal with. Tomorrow I will be receiving a new Lafferty A Oval from the Mandolin Store. I was the winner in the giveaway. Can't wait.

9lbShellhamer
Dec-03-2013, 1:03pm
Great to hear! Congrats again on the lafferty win!

Yes... I have a km160 and bought a Breedlove as an upgrade but couldn't resist the KM 950. I wanted the volume and more traditional sound.

I sold the Breedlove and will hopefully get another in a year or so... for now I need the more traditional sound.. ( and volume to drown the 4 banjos I'm playing with! )

cayuga red
Dec-03-2013, 2:20pm
You've made a wise choice. Enjoy!

John Hill
Dec-03-2013, 6:49pm
4 banjos?!?!?

9lbShellhamer
Dec-05-2013, 10:13am
YES. 4!

One Mandolin, (myself)
One Stand Up Bass
Two Guitars