PDA

View Full Version : New Violin Family Member

Michael Weaver
Jul-09-2013, 8:16am
We added a new family member to the house yesterday. We were able to purchase an Andreas Hjorth Violin circa late 1700's early 1800's. We are still in shock and are operating on very little sleep due to the excitement. My first thought on this purchase was that I was very happy that she has a professional violin now....my second thought was that this gives me tons of buying power and leverage for later on.

houseworker
Jul-09-2013, 8:27am
Very nice. It's an interesting case too, do you know who made that?

Michael Weaver
Jul-09-2013, 11:22am
Very nice. It's an interesting case too, do you know who made that?

Yes it's an original Jaeger Etui case made in Germany. You might want to find one used. New they are around $2000.

houseworker
Jul-09-2013, 12:33pm
Yes it's an original Jaeger Etui case made in Germany. You might want to find one used. New they are around $2000.

A little over half that this side of the pond, but they're not quite the wonderful cases they once were unfortunately. Yours looks superb. The Musafia case my fiddle calls home is not dissimilar.

Michael Weaver
Jul-09-2013, 1:14pm
A little over half that this side of the pond, but they're not quite the wonderful cases they once were unfortunately. Yours looks superb. The Musafia case my fiddle calls home is not dissimilar.

Those Musafia cases are beautiful. Which model do you have?

houseworker
Jul-09-2013, 1:52pm
Those Musafia cases are beautiful. Which model do you have?

This one :)

Michael Weaver
Jul-09-2013, 10:10pm
That is a really nice setup!

houseworker
Jul-10-2013, 1:31am
So are we going to get to hear the violin?

Last time I remember seeing an Andreas Hjorth was at a London auction, maybe 15 years ago. Nice instrument. You'll be wanting to string it up with Olivs to get the best out of an instrument like that.

Michael Weaver
Jul-10-2013, 9:48am
So are we going to get to hear the violin?

Last time I remember seeing an Andreas Hjorth was at a London auction, maybe 15 years ago. Nice instrument. You'll be wanting to string it up with Olivs to get the best out of an instrument like that.

Yeah it seems to be a pretty rare bird. Danish violins in general seem to be rare? It is strung up with Larsen Virtuoso strings. My fiancé plays not me. Unless you want to hear me play hot cross buns on a violin of that caliber?

houseworker
Jul-10-2013, 2:59pm
My fiancée plays not me.

Isn't she wanting to show off her new pride and joy?

Michael Weaver
Jul-10-2013, 9:26pm
No she won't go for it!