PDA

View Full Version : F-9 Ebay find and new IPhone!

sgrexa
Jul-07-2013, 5:15pm
Well, this is my first time buying a mandolin off Ebay and it worked out well. Usually,
I am outbid at the last second by 1 dollar "bot" type bidder, but I won this one. A 2002 F-9 that is nicely broken in and "reliced" the old fashioned way. I think it sounds and plays nice and makes a fine mandolin. I am going to go out on a limb and say that based on my experience spruce tops that exhibit super tight grain like this typically sound "chirpy" or "reedy". How do you like those new adjectives? Hard to describe, but it is a nice dry, woody tone with a throaty chop, good volume and plays great right out of the case. I'm happy, and could certainly live with this mandolin as my main instrument.

I also moved into the iPhone club this weekend, so my son showed me the video capabilities of this new toy. Will post a video in a bit. Great weekend overall!

Sean104219104220104221

sgrexa
Jul-07-2013, 5:32pm
Plain Jane maple back:104222104223104224

sgrexa
Jul-07-2013, 5:36pm
Just a minor gripe, but with the buying power Gibson has, did they save a whole $5 by using plain vs figured maple and plastic instead of a bone nut? Nut width of 1 1/8" instead of 1 1/16" would have been nice too. Only a 1/16" I know, but I can feel the difference. Simple things like that cost little or no money, and it seems that they are getting the message with the newer F-9s although, I am not sure how much they cost? Those things aside, still a great mandolin.

Sean

sgrexa
Jul-07-2013, 5:54pm
And some iPhone video (testing purposes only!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP-9iOzNIOY

Sean

Bernie Daniel
Jul-07-2013, 6:29pm
Congratulations Sean on a the purchase of a great looking and great sounding Gibson mandolin! Those F-9's and A-9's that Gibson made a few years ago were the mandolin bargains of the decade in my opinion. Nice picking too -- you done good!! Now you got yourself a little piece of mandolin history with a pedigree going back to the early 1900's! :)

jim simpson
Jul-07-2013, 6:51pm
I thought they used Corian nuts? I used to own an A9 and had to file the edges of the nut as it was too sharp cornered.

Just a minor gripe, but with the buying power Gibson has, did they save a whole $5 by using plain vs figured maple and plastic instead of a bone nut? Nut width of 1 1/8" instead of 1 1/16" would have been nice too. Only a 1/16" I know, but I can feel the difference. Simple things like that cost little or no money, and it seems that they are getting the message with the newer F-9s although, I am not sure how much they cost? Those things aside, still a great mandolin.

Sean

sgrexa
Jul-07-2013, 8:01pm
Jim,

I heard plastic and it looks like plastic but I could be wrong. Just a minor nitpick on an otherwise fine mandolin.

Sean

Bernie Daniel
Jul-07-2013, 11:40pm
Sean

The nut is probably not plastic -- but it might not be bone either. As to the width of the nut that is 1 1/16" because that was the width of the original Gibson F-5's that Loar introduced - these being much narrower than the preceding F-2's and F-4's models which had 1 3/16" wide nuts. These days I think 1 1/8" nuts are much more common on most Gibson mandolins although the Sam Bush model still has a 1 3/16" nut and I think the Gold Rush model has a 1 3/32" nut. Some of the high end MM's and DMM's also look to me like they remain faithful to the original Loar signed instruments and have a narrow nut.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-08-2013, 12:23am
Congrats Sean. Looks like a good snatch and sounds great.

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Oct-23-2013, 12:28pm
I want one of these one day....looks really nice...a fine mando!

AlanN
Oct-23-2013, 12:36pm
Well, wait no more. That very instrument is now on the ads.

JFDilmando
Oct-23-2013, 5:07pm
Always cracks me up when some one finds a mandolin...buys it....shows it off as a find..... And then moves it within a heartbeat of time....

Serious MAS.... Or a closet dealer wannabe....

Looks like a nice mandolin.... Hope it finds a home with someone that will love it.

Marty Jacobson
Oct-23-2013, 5:19pm
FWIW, I believe Sean has a very good, straightforward reason for selling his F-9, and one that everyone here would agree with and support. :-) An F-9 can be purchased again at any point, some other mandolins cannot.

sgrexa
Oct-27-2013, 4:45am
As I get older I find I have less need for mandolins. I am done and very happy with a recent Peter Coombe A5 (thank you Lord and Peter Coombe!) for somehow blessing me with the instrument of my dreams. I do however anticipate getting a Nugget A model ordered almost 3 yrs ago. If money were no option, I would keep them all but I do not have the resources right now. I really hope it finds a good home and God willing the Nugget (and Jacobson) end up being equally fine and inspiring. The Coombe will likely remain #1 but I look forward to the Nugget and the Jacobson in the near future! Enjoy this beautiful Sunday and I hope everyone enjoys the Mano of their dreams in good health!

Sean

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Oct-28-2013, 11:54am
I wish I could but I just pulled a trigger on a mandolin :(

Pete Jenner
Oct-28-2013, 12:02pm
Have you got your Blevins yet Eric?

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Oct-29-2013, 12:19pm
Have you got your Blevins yet Eric?

Pete that's the mandolin I'm talking about. It's been completed for about a month and a half now but I have to wait until the 3rd week of November when I travel to the US for Thanksgiving to pick it up. Eddie is shipping it to my mom's house next week and I'm really looking forward to finally getting a mandolin in my hands again after quite a few years.

Still though, I really like the F-9's and I'd like to get me a used one maybe some day if I have the money at the time and one is available....or I'd even settle for my old Flatiron Fest F as well if I could find it.