PDA

View Full Version : best gig bag under $100

46gibson
Jul-07-2013, 2:48pm
Hi,

New to the forum, but long time lister of instruments. I need some help from members. I have a 93 Flatiron F5 Artist and a rectangular, hard case. I would like to find a more portable case that at least approximates the shape of my mandolin, but keeps it safe from harm, some sort of cross between a hard case and a gig bag. Any recommendations? I'd like to spend less than $100 if possible. Thanks, 46 Gibson:)

Mike Bunting
Jul-07-2013, 3:23pm
That would be the the Reunion Blues Continental Gig bag, unfortunately it's about $50 bucks more than you want to pay.

Eddie Sheehy
Jul-07-2013, 3:29pm
Warwick Rockbag.

Jim
Jul-07-2013, 3:40pm
Gator GL

mandrian
Jul-07-2013, 4:45pm
Warwick Rockbag.
I've been very impressed with these too.

Regards,

55bar
Jul-07-2013, 5:10pm
Really wish Mono or incase would start making them!

http://www.monocase.com/store/pc/UKULELE-c12.htm

multidon
Jul-07-2013, 5:50pm
My vote goes to the Access Stage One. You can check it out on Elderly web site. For the money you cant do better. NFI.

46gibson
Jul-07-2013, 6:22pm
My vote goes to the Access Stage One. You can check it out on Elderly web site. For the money you cant do better. NFI.

I took a look at it and it looks good. All the others did not show the interior of the bag. The Reunion Blues Bag and the Gator both got critical reviews from users, and the screen shots don't show the interiors. I think I may go with the Access Stage One for price and protection. Thanks to all.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-07-2013, 6:28pm
Would a travelite case fit your requirement? They are very light, works great and within your budget.

John Flynn
Jul-07-2013, 6:31pm
+ 1 for Access Stage 1. I have one for a mandolin and a banjo version for my OM. I take them to church every week and literally throw them in my car without a worry. Really protects the instruments, but still pretty light weight, great handles, pockets and zippers, quality materials.

Mike Bunting
Jul-07-2013, 9:17pm
The Reunion Blues Bag and the Gator both got critical reviews from users,

Where are these reviews?

46gibson
Jul-07-2013, 9:21pm
Mike,

I believe I checked out Musician's Friend and one other site. There weren't many reviews, so perhaps the reviews are not reflective of the quality of the Gator and Reunion Blues bags.

Lou
Santa Barbara

Mike Bunting
Jul-07-2013, 9:41pm
The RB Continental review didn't make much sense to me. It certainly doesn't reflect my exprience with them.

Mike Floorstand
Jul-08-2013, 1:17am
I like these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_by_warwick_rb20613b_plus.htm

fatt-dad
Jul-08-2013, 7:28am
I didn't like the width of the Reunion Blues gig bag. The outside pocket is just too much (leather one) and the fabric one also was too bulky. I think a travelite/gator sort would be the direction I'd go. I ended up getting the plastic equalivant of a chipboard case.

f-d

Mike Bunting
Jul-08-2013, 12:08pm
I didn't like the width of the Reunion Blues gig bag. The outside pocket is just too much (leather one) and the fabric one also was too bulky. I think a travelite/gator sort would be the direction I'd go. I ended up getting the plastic equalivant of a chipboard case.

f-d
I am talking about the RB Continental not the old ones that are made from leather.

fatt-dad
Jul-08-2013, 1:44pm
I tried to make the distinction between the leather and the fabric RBs, neither of which I liked.

f-d

Mike Bunting
Jul-08-2013, 1:48pm
My oint is that there are two styles of RB bags the regular one and the RB continental bags (to which I refer). They make the regular ones in leather and in fabric. It seems to me that you are referring to the old ones when you just say RB bags.

mandroid
Jul-08-2013, 1:58pm
I had a buddy who worked for Reunion Blues , while they were Made in San Francisco.

They are Offshore Now ..

He got a custom Made bag sewn up , for my Leo A pocket travel Mandolin..
(so outline like a wooden Ice Cream 'spoon', not a full width A type instrument)
the case has a #10 coil [Bombproof] Zipper all the way around it (but one place)

Their foam choice seems just the right density.. Hauled the Leo around
on a couple Europe and Irish-Scottish pedal-Bike Tours. camping and such..

But As I said friend Denis worked there
[Job: selected & hand cut the leather using supplied patterns and used the
single die stamping Press to cut out smaller parts like the leather for handles ..]

got a blem leather trumpet gig bag from him too ..

Mike Bunting
Jul-08-2013, 2:36pm
I had a buddy who worked for Reunion Blues , while they were Made in San Francisco.

They are Offshore Now ..

He got a custom Made bag sewn up , for my Leo A pocket travel Mandolin..
(so outline like a wooden Ice Cream 'spoon', not a full width A type instrument)
the case has a #10 coil [Bombproof] Zipper all the way around it (but one place)

Their foam choice seems just the right density.. Hauled the Leo around
on a couple Europe and Irish-Scottish pedal-Bike Tours. camping and such..

But As I said friend Denis worked there
[Job: selected & hand cut the leather using supplied patterns and used the
single die stamping Press to cut out smaller parts like the leather for handles ..]

got a blem leather trumpet gig bag from him too ..

After SF shut down, Sam Gifford of Pegasus cases obtained the patterns and made me a fabric bag which I've used for years. My new one, the Continental, is somewhat bulkier but far superior in its protective qualities as well as having great storage areas.

Mike Floorstand
Jul-08-2013, 4:40pm
Never tried one of these but I am tempted - seems good value for something handmade. You can choose your own fabric, lining and have as many layers of padding as you like: http://yourcrafts.store.buegle.com/index.php/4

46gibson
Jul-09-2013, 10:57am
Having started this thread, I felt I needed to publish an outcome. I wound up buying the Travelite for about $75. Hope it works out.

Lou

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-09-2013, 1:22pm
Having started this thread, I felt I needed to publish an outcome. I wound up buying the Travelite for about $75. Hope it works out.

Lou

I think you'll be pleased.. let us know how it works out.

dfalkiewicz
Jul-10-2013, 6:51am
Congrats with your Travelite.

For Father's Day I received the Access Stage 3 gig bag from Elderly ($119). I love this bag because I can use it like a pack back, leave my Toneguard on it. And if I wanted, I could leave my Snark tuner on the neck and close the bag with no issues.
The Tonegard stays on, the Snark goes in a side pocket.

Keep on pickin

John Flynn
Jul-10-2013, 7:21am
Correction on post #10. The bags I have are Access Stage 3, not Stage 1.

dfalkiewicz
Jul-10-2013, 5:43pm
yeaks........can tell this post was without my morning coffee. can use it as a back pack..and leave my Toneguard on my mando while it is in the case.......ah heck you knew what I meant.......lol!

dfalkiewicz
Jul-10-2013, 5:48pm
Ok, going for nighttime coffee........sorry for double posting here