PDA

View Full Version : another mic quesion

mando-g
Feb-25-2004, 1:03pm
My band is trying to do the one mic set up a la Del McCoury. We are using a lower end Audio Technica (the model # escapes me). We are having problems all being heard unless we are right up in the mic--a foot or less. Del, and other bands like Open Road or Doyle Lawson seem to have room to move--we are always crammed right around the mic. My questions are: is it the mic quality, or something with the way we set it up? and what brands/models do Del, Open Road and Doyle use?

mike_c
Feb-28-2004, 12:10pm
i think doyle is using a audio-technica at- 3025 (the cheap one). open road used to us the at-4033. but last time i saw them they had the 4033 down low for instruments and a different unknown mic up high for singing..carl shiflett and ronda vincent use a at-4033 (although carls is hidden in a mock rca-44 housing) del mccoury uses 2 at-4033s. #my favorite has always been the at-4033. because it makes the instruments a vocals sound bigger than they really should... that being said, performing on one mic is a tough game..you need a 31 band graphic eq to help eliminate feedback.you need a quiet crowd to play to, and some festival sound men, will just murder your sound if they are unfamiliar with the one mic technique..aside from that,,i think the one mic deal is the most fun and the best show. but a lot of hassle...