PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tuna

kkallaur
Dec-12-2003, 12:58pm
Hot Tuna are coming to Milwaukee on Tuesday. I've seen them a couple of times live and they are awesome, but this time Jorma and Jack have Barry Mitterhoff with them on Mandolin. Anybody know who Barry is and is he any good? Has anybody seen any of Hot Tuna's show with him playing? Just want to get an idea of what I'll be seeing Tuesday Night.

ira
Dec-12-2003, 1:11pm
i have seen jorma with barry m. he is a solid player, somewhat understated at times, but excellent. you will love it.

AlanN
Dec-12-2003, 1:13pm
Barry is a NYC/NJ-based mandolinist who has been in the highest circle of players for 25+ years. Was in the seminal band Bottle Hill, played with Rowan in the Free Mexican Airforce with Tex Logan (Rowan would introduce has Barry Mandolin on the Mitterhoff), was in Tony Trischka's band for years and years, has played classical, grass, jazz, you name it. He did a solo record about 15 years ago and penned "Silk City", a minor classic (fun to play). All around class musician.

Tom C
Dec-12-2003, 1:15pm
Barry used to play with Skyline with Tony Trischka.
I take lessons from Barry ansd have had the pleasure of meeting and eating with Jorma a few times(Not playing yet).
Barry is one of the greatest players and nicest people.
You can read his profile on co-mando guest of the week Here (http://www.co-mando.com/resources/CGOW/mitterhoff.htm). When Jorma needed a mando player, since all orig from blue country heart were busy or on tour, Barry was reccommended to him. Jorma did not know who he was at the time but all he had to do was ask some radio DJ's and they all knew and praised Barry.

ira
Dec-15-2003, 2:32pm
hey tom-could you try and hit up barry for some tab of hot tuna/jorma songs-
like anything from quah or yellow fever...........

i would be ever grateful.
thanks,
ira

Russ(String-Alley)
Jan-08-2004, 8:51pm
yeah Tom, Thats really frekin awsome.( NYC stereotypical remark intended )
My buddy Just got to see the NY show and told me how great it was. Its great having a few of the really good players in this mando-starved area. Statman's from around here too. anybody think of anyone else tho?
cheers and all the best in '04

David M.
Jan-09-2004, 9:24am
I just got a live 2003 show of Jorma and Blue Country Heart with Barry on mandolin, Cindy Cashdollar on dobro and steel, and Tony Trishka on banjo. Great show and all were in top form. Barry's mandolin is a superb complement to Jorma's blues fingerstyle picking. He has a great style. My buddy got this concert show from Furthernet.

John Uhrig
Jan-09-2004, 12:47pm
I'M GOING TO SEE THESE GUYS TOMORROW NIGHT HERE IN FT. COLLINS. I'VE SEEN JORMA & JACK A FEW TIMES (WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN GREAT). CAN'T WAIT TO SEE BARRY WITH THEM.

Fred G
Jan-09-2004, 12:58pm
Barry was also mentioned in an interview with Sam Bush as one the top underrated mandolin players in the business. When Jorma gives him room he puts together some really nice solos.

Lee
Jan-12-2004, 11:09am
I was at Hot Tuna's traditional Thanksgiving concert, this year being acoustic and with Barry Mitterhoff on Gibson F (usually). He blended in very well; superb show. (Taping was allowed; and was very succesful.)

Please post a review of the Ft. Collins show.

Tom C
Jan-12-2004, 2:05pm
Barry is teaching at Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch in Ohio in April. I'm contemplating on going depending on if I attend the mando symporium.

David M.
Jan-12-2004, 3:11pm
Tom C.: I have a buddy going in April to attend Jorma's class. Chris Smither is there that weekend also. Is that the same weekend Barry's going to be there? Reckon I could look at the FPR site to verify...

John Uhrig
Jan-13-2004, 10:39am
Went to the Ft. Collins show on Sat. Was everything that I expected. Barry fit in well on all the tunes and everyone took a solo on the songs they played. Barry started off playing his f-style mando(sorry I couldn't tell the brand) Then he pulled out his Flatiron octave for the song I've Seen The Light. After that it was the tenor banjo. Was a lot of fun seeing them play, but had to leave early. Yes, some of us have to work on Sundays.

John

Lee
Jan-15-2004, 4:12pm
At the Keswick show I checked out the stage and the instruments closely beofre the show started when the lights were full on. He played the same FlatIron octave, and the banjo. Jorma and Jacks instruments were siting out there. But Barry's mandolin was not. I asked his roadie, and he said he played a Gibson and didn't want to leave it out on stage.

Strado Len
Jan-16-2004, 3:32pm
Barry plays a 1942 F-5. I don't think I would leave it on the stage either.

rboothie
Feb-02-2004, 11:01pm
Hot Tuna with Barry will be at THE ROSE Concert Hall in Medina, Ohio (30 mi' south of Cleveland) on Feb 28.
Great venue 360 seats!

330-864-ROSE

grsnovi
Feb-09-2004, 6:58pm
I saw Jorma and Barry as a duo here in Portland about six months ago and I liked Barry's playing quite a lot.

David M.
Feb-13-2004, 12:43pm
I just noticed in Jorma's home page that Barry's father passed away a few days ago after a long illness and Barry's taking some time with his family.

www.jormakaukonen.com

The "Diary" and "Thoughts" links have info on this. #By the way, Jorma does an incredible job updating his daily journal, even while on the road. #Sometimes after a show, he'll post the set list and it may be 2 a.m. #Great sound together, Barry and Jorma and Jack.

Lee
Feb-13-2004, 1:03pm
Personally, I think the F5 was not the proper choice of mandolins to add to the Hot Tuna sound. Something less percusive and sweeter would have augmented the other two instruments nicely. Anyone else feel this way?