PDA

View Full Version : New Eastman!

generankin
Feb-08-2005, 10:52am
(I also posted this on CoMando)

Went to Spruce Tree Music last night, after playing with their instruments last Saturday and bending Jim Nikora's ear for some time (thanks, Jim!). #Swapped a rather pretty Gibson Les Paul (I had an 'extra') and some folding money for an Eastman 815, which was a major improvement over the borrowed Harmony two-pointer I'd been trying to learn on (without much success).

I tried a Weber Absaroka, a Weber F (a plain one w.out binding), an Eastman 800-series A model, and a Lebeda two-pointer. #The two Eastmans were very close to one another (to my unschooled ears), but the F was woodier and more complex-sounding than that particular A and all the others I tried.

Took it home, put on the New Lost City Ramblers''40 Years of Concert Performances' CD, and taught myself 'The Old Man and the Mill' in short order. #A good instrument's a revelation! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Gene Rankin

Stephen Perry
Feb-08-2005, 8:23pm
I'm pleased with the 815 level instruments. I received 2 today (one blonde, oddly enough). Very pretty, solid and crisp tone and response. I'll set them up tomorrow and see how they do. They come in fairly well set up. I didn't check the bracing. But I noticed at SPBGMA in Nashville that the most popular mandolin of the many I had was cross braced. Amusing.

Steve Perry
Feb-09-2005, 11:02am
Hey Steve...

When you set up the Eastmans, do you put a heavier guage string (J74's maybe) on them? #The few Eastmans I've tried at other stores seem like they are strung with lights.

BTW... It was nice to meet you and your wife at SPBGMA and I was very impressed with the Eastmans you brought. Was the one with maple binding the X-braced one?

Steve "the other one" Perry

Stephen Perry
Feb-09-2005, 5:23pm
Several were X braced. They generally come with J74 strings these days. The earlier ones had light strings of some unknown brand.