PDA

View Full Version : The DeMeglio Twins

Tavy
Jul-04-2013, 11:11am
Just finished these two up and thought they needed some more flower decoration ;)

billhay4
Jul-04-2013, 11:14am
I guess they smell as good as they look now.
Nice job.
Bill

Jim Garber
Jul-04-2013, 9:29pm
Nice, John. The one I am used to seeing it the one on the left. The asymmetrical scratchplate is unusual. Any dates and/or model numbers? Do either have zero frets?

Did yo make new bridges? Usually they have ones with metal rods inserted for saddles.

Tavy
Jul-05-2013, 3:29am
Hi Jim, the one on the left is a 1923 model 0 (serial No 20235), the other a 1910 model 1 (serial No 16576). They both would have had the metal nut originally but I found the string spacing rather crazy (strings hanging out over the edge of the fretboard more or less - just couldn't play the things!), so I put bone nuts with more conventional spacing in. The model 0 has the original metal nut in the case in case some future owner wants it, the model 1 was without that part when I got it. Both have new compensated ebony bridges, again the originals are available, but I found playability and intonation much improved with the new bridges and not much difference in sound - the original bridges with a metal saddle fitted have a much higher action which gives a slightly more "positive" sound - if you were only ever going to play first position they might be slightly preferred, but higher up the neck they sound awful to my ears at least!

Jake Wildwood
Jul-05-2013, 4:33pm
Those look great!!

I agree that setting these up with "modern considerations" (better nut string spacing, better bridges) is a far more enjoyable experience, too.

GarY Nava
Jul-06-2013, 11:15am
Nice work Tavy. Excuse my bowl back ignorance, but are the slots on the sides "sound ports" ?
Cheers Gary

Tavy
Jul-06-2013, 1:39pm
Nice work Tavy. Excuse my bowl back ignorance, but are the slots on the sides "sound ports" ?
Cheers Gary

They are... sort of... I'm not convinced they're actually large enough to function as sound ports (i.e. to generate much sound) though :confused:

Roin
Jul-06-2013, 4:54pm
Oh they look beautiful, really nice (also nice decoration :grin: )

Jim Garber
Jul-07-2013, 3:43pm
Soundports or serve as monitors to direct some sound to the player -- at least I found that when i had my DeMeglio.

Tavy
Jul-08-2013, 3:00am
Soundports or serve as monitors to direct some sound to the player -- at least I found that when i had my DeMeglio.

Jim, I'm well aware of the functioning of sound ports, after all my main axe looks like this:

Now that's a proper soundport :)

Here's the thing, a soundport that's "large enough" has several important roles:

* It directs sound to the player by being a second source of sound production just like the main soundhole (via pumping of air through the aperture).
* For the luthier, it provides another lever to pull to alter the voicing of the instrument since adding/increasing soundhole/soundport area raises the main body resonance.
* At least for guitars (possibly even more important in mandolins?) there is some evidence that the limiting factor in constraining the vibration of the top is how quickly air can be pumped through the soundhole. Thus adding a soundport can increase overall volume even to the front of the instrument.

On the other hand, I have experience of lots of broken/partially [re]constructed instruments with "leaky" sound chambers, which frankly sound like rubbish until all the leaks are plugged. They literally sound "wheezy".

So the question is - which camp do these small holes fall into?

I think I feel another experiment coming on...... ;)

Jim Garber
Jul-08-2013, 8:19am
I knew you knew what soundports were -- I was just saying that I felt that the slots in the side of my DeMeglio subtly served that purpose.

billhay4
Jul-08-2013, 11:19am
Tavy,
Excuse the off-topic question, but what is the knob to the left of the fretboard on your instrument?
Thanks,
Bill

Tavy
Jul-08-2013, 11:28am
Tavy,
Excuse the off-topic question, but what is the knob to the left of the fretboard on your instrument?
Thanks,
Bill

If you mean the one to the right of the fretboard ;) then it's a volume control for the built in K&K pickup. Pull the control out and it sends the signal out in stereo as well.

billhay4
Jul-08-2013, 1:36pm
Thanks, Tavy. That's the one.
Nice looking instrument. Who built it?
Bill

Tavy
Jul-09-2013, 2:12am
Thanks, Tavy. That's the one.
Nice looking instrument. Who built it?

That would be me ;)

The original thread was here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79967-Tavy-3-A-lot-like-2-but-better).