PDA

View Full Version : Radial Tonebone and Schertler Basik

sgrexa
Jul-02-2013, 4:06pm
Have any of you used this combo? It seems like the Radial was designed for Piezo instruments exclusively or am I wrong about this? I plugged in the other night for the first time in a long time and was not comfortable with the piercing, shrill tone at all. This was with the following chain: Schertler Basik (condenser stick on mic)>Schertler pre-amp (little battery operated box w/ 1/4" in and outs supplied with the unit)>PA. I did not fiddle with the sound or EQ much, but after the gig I quickly thought about resurrecting my Tonebone out of storage to see if this might help things sound a bit more natural the next time I have to plug in. The Basik has a non-removable ~10' cable with a 1/4" jack. Have any of you had any success with this combination?

Sean

sgrexa
Jul-02-2013, 5:35pm
Well I decided to do a quick experiment when I got home from work and recorded through an AKG Perception 200 mic (panned hard left) and the BASIK pickup through the Tonebone PZ-PRE panned hard right. Hope this works.

http://soundcloud.com/sean-grexa/akg-l-vs-basik-r

Sean

sgrexa
Jul-02-2013, 6:10pm
http://soundcloud.com/sean-grexa/akg-l-vs-basik-r

sgrexa
Jul-02-2013, 6:15pm
Having some difficulties with soundcloud. Seems to be something to do with the new version and "classic" version? Let me know if that link works.

Sean

Chip Booth
Jul-02-2013, 7:38pm
Link works, recording sounds bad, lot of clicks and thunks, and a nasal tone. What were you going for?

For what it's worth when I use a Shertler Dyn/M I run it straight to the board with no external preamp, then insert a 4 channel parametric and EQ the snot out of it to get it to sound even vaguely natural. Right hand technique also has a lot to do with making a pickup work on any stringed instrument.

sgrexa
Jul-02-2013, 8:26pm
Hi Chip,

I am very new to recording (just figured out Reaper DAW basics yesterday) and I wanted to compare the sound of the Schertler compared to a regular mic by panning left and right. Was more interested in balancing the levels on each side than what I was recording but maybe I should have been! Still experimenting, but I am actually a little surprised that the Schertler sounds as good as does at least that is my first impression after only a couple of listens.

Sean

sgrexa
Jul-02-2013, 8:28pm
Listening back on better speakers I can definitely hear the "quack" of the Schertler". This was done with no eq. I am going to experiment and see if I can come up with a more musical example and make the Schertler side sound a bit more warm and natural. This is my first experience using a DAW of any kind and it is kind of exciting but I have A LOT to learn! I have heard some of Chip's recordings and they are extraordinary.

Sean

Don Grieser
Jul-02-2013, 9:59pm
Sean, you might try both impedances (little recessed push button on the side) as well as the EQ. I've found just a little EQ is needed with the K&K in my mandolin, and you can definitely hear what those Radial EQs do if you're listening in headphones as you're dialing it in. I think the ToneBone PZ-Pre is a great piece of gear.

sgrexa
Jul-03-2013, 8:10am
Yes Don, it is easy to forget about that hidden impedance switch! Thanks for reminding me, I will experiment. So far, I think the Schertler through the Tonebone has potential.

Sean