PDA

View Full Version : Loar 220 happy with!

Sterling
Jun-30-2013, 4:25pm
Hi folks,
I bought the above mandolin two weeks ago. I am very happy with the sound and action of this instrument. Being a professional trumpet player I am used to buying the best equipment for performance. What am I looking for past this instrument?

Michael Bridges
Jun-30-2013, 4:52pm
If you're a typical Cafe member, you're looking at a future of mandolin acquisition! LOL!Try this one, love it for a while, then your eyes and ears get caught by something else, and you go in that direction. Honestly, you're in a position right now to just play the frets of the one you have. As you do that, you'll develop a better idea of what you're looking for, in terms of sound, what type music you want to use it for,physical style, etc. All these decisions are extremely personal to you, and you'll develop your own profile of what you're looking for. There are lots of excellent instruments out there, and many of them might be right for you, once you know what right for you is!When it comes to MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome), you can take it to some real extremes,limited only by your bank account!

Denny Gies
Jun-30-2013, 5:12pm
An awful lot depends on how much money you want to or can spend. You can look at superior instruments from $5,000 and up, almost to infinity. Good luck.

Mandolin-Tele
Jun-30-2013, 5:24pm
I haven't played many mandolins just a few Breedloves and Webers

My "The Loar 600" out plays and sounds better than anything I've played so far

Jim Ferguson
Jun-30-2013, 5:54pm
I also have a The Loar LM220 & it a great sounding, low cost instrument........I love it.
Will I ever move on & get another mando........oh yeah!!!! BUT......for the $$ I spent I've really enjoyed the LM220.
Peace,

Sterling
Jun-30-2013, 6:35pm
If you're a typical Cafe member, you're looking at a future of mandolin acquisition! LOL!Try this one, love it for a while, then your eyes and ears get caught by something else, and you go in that direction. Honestly, you're in a position right now to just play the frets of the one you have. As you do that, you'll develop a better idea of what you're looking for, in terms of sound, what type music you want to use it for,physical style, etc. All these decisions are extremely personal to you, and you'll develop your own profile of what you're looking for. There are lots of excellent instruments out there, and many of them might be right for you, once you know what right for you is!When it comes to MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome), you can take it to some real extremes,limited only by your bank account!

Thanks Mike,

You have expressed exactly what I am thinking. In trumpet world it is called n plus 1 syndrome. It sounds like mandolin players find the ONE that calls to them. I have over 40 trumpets and play them all for the appropriate occasions. For mandolin, it might be one at a time? Progress from one to the next?

Joelh
Jun-30-2013, 6:51pm
I also just got a 220. I am new to the mandolin and am quite pleased with the feel and sound. Hopefully it will be the first of several!

John McCoy
Jun-30-2013, 7:47pm
As to expense:

Cost of one high-quality, luthier-shop built, solid wood, mandolin with minimal bling ~= Cost of one new Bach Stradivarius Artisan.

Cost of one genuine Loar-signed Gibson ~= Probable cost of Jean-Baptiste Arban's personal favorite cornet (which would probably have to be purchased [in cash, small bills, unmarked, non-consecutive serial numbers] from the guy who robbed the museum).

Michael Bridges
Jun-30-2013, 7:58pm
Sterling, it varies how folks go about their mando-journey! If you look at the signatures under most member's posts, you'll likely see multiple mandolins listed, most likely just a fraction of the ones they've owned. As your experience grows, your taste in what you want will likely change, repeatedly, which leads you to hopscotch from instrument to instrument. If you're into different styles of music, you might want different mandos for,say, bluegrass and Celtic. They all have their own voice. You know how that is, I'm sure. Actually it's one of the joys of playing, kinda like a life-long musical buffet.Some folks are lucky enough to find a musical soul-mate quickly, for others, it takes multiple commitments. Neither is a bad thing! Just remember, have fun along the way.

Sterling
Jun-30-2013, 8:52pm
As to expense:

Cost of one high-quality, luthier-shop built, solid wood, mandolin with minimal bling ~= Cost of one new Bach Stradivarius Artisan.

Cost of one genuine Loar-signed Gibson ~= Probable cost of Jean-Baptiste Arban's personal favorite cornet (which would probably have to be purchased [in cash, small bills, unmarked, non-consecutive serial numbers] from the guy who robbed the museum).

Thanks John for making it trumpet related. I have five Bach Stradivari in my trumpet collection so I know how that works. They do earn me money though! Mandolin is just for education and fun for now. The Loar 220 is really a nice sounding instrument though. I am eager to try something of higher quality to see what to wish for!