PDA

View Full Version : pick guard or not?

stagerlee
Jun-30-2013, 4:08pm
I am a fairly new player and have noticed that a lot of pros don't have pick guards. I took mine off and got more volume just wondering if because i have a lower end instrument this might effect my intonation or tunning. I def think it looks better without. thanx

allenhopkins
Jun-30-2013, 4:16pm
Won't affect either intonation or tuning. You may get some scratches on the mandolin's finish, if you play vigorously. Also, if you "plant" fingers of your picking hand on the mandolin while playing, the pickguard is often useful. I do rest fingers on the mandolin's top (though it's often considered bad form), and I have worn through the thin, soft finish of an Eastman mandola that came without a pickguard -- to the point where I had the spot refinished and a small, transparent, self-adhesive pickguard attached.

Uncovering one of the f-holes (assuming you have an f-hole mandolin) can sometimes result in an apparent increase in volume. As to looks, that's a matter of personal taste.

stagerlee
Jun-30-2013, 4:26pm
thanks for the info. cant wait to get a nicer mando.

JeffD
Jun-30-2013, 4:48pm
A lot of pros don't. A lot of pros do. If you think its better, its probably better.

Ron McMillan
Jun-30-2013, 4:49pm
Neither of my mandolins have pick guards, and despite a zillion hours of often spirited playing, I don't recall ever hitting the body with my pick even once. But I suppose it would only take once to make a nasty mark.

ron

Denny Gies
Jun-30-2013, 5:15pm
I agree with JeffD, do what you want. For me it is a matter of aesthetics. Personally I prefer no pick guard. Good luck and have fun.

phiddlepicker
Jun-30-2013, 5:38pm
lol....some things never change.:))

I like a stylized PG...abbreviated...with a built in shotglass holder

Bill Baldridge
Jun-30-2013, 5:48pm
Do what suits your fancy. I like one, although I don't call it a pick guard or use it as one. I have never struck the top of the mandolin with the pick, but I do like to lightly plant my finger sometimes and if you do it often enough you will remove the finish. A "finger rest" is another name for the same device. I tend to dig into the strings without it and I get more fretboard click without it. I do notice I don't hear the mandolin as well with the finger rest on. I have read that it does not effect the volume projected straight ahead. Many will tell you differently. Trust the luthier of you choice.

Welcome to the Cafe and a variety of responses; something I enjoy about this place.

fredfrank
Jun-30-2013, 6:51pm
I never used to use them, but then I started playing instruments that came with them. I tried taking them off every once in a while, but I now feel more comfortable with the finger rest is place. I guess you can get used to anything, so it's kinda up to you.
I understand that most finger rests don't really block the sound coming out the front. It just seems like it from the player's position.

Steve Ostrander
Jun-30-2013, 8:10pm
Although I like the look of a pick guard on a mandolin, I don't like the feel of one on when I play.

Bill Clements
Jun-30-2013, 8:21pm
cant wait to get a nicer mando.
MAS is a slippery slope! ;)
Welcome to the Cafe!

...hiya Steve!

phiddlepicker
Jun-30-2013, 9:07pm
Sometimes I beat my mando like it owes me money...so while I never really hit the top during circular picking and such there are those more bawdy and drunken bash chord evenings that makes the PG worth whatever aesthetic sacrifice is necessary.

Big Ed
Jun-30-2013, 9:33pm
Keep the pick guard attached while you are learning and gaining control of your wrist. If you plan to move up to a new mandolin the old one will sell better scratch free.

JeffD
Jun-30-2013, 10:21pm
I keep it on the mandolins that came with, and I keep it off the mandolins that came without. I am good either way. I suspect it has little or not effect on over all tone, volume, or playability, but individuals report different experiences.

I never consciously scratch the body, but I see scratches, so I probably do.

mandolinlee
Jun-30-2013, 11:51pm
I built a Stew-Mac "A" model kit that did not have a finger-rest. Up to that point all previous instruments had one, so I designed and fitted one to the kit. Made it out of some veneer I had that matched the fingerboard and headstock overlay very well.

Lee

OldSausage
Jul-01-2013, 12:03am
I think we should all burn our pickguards for liberty!

Astro
Jul-01-2013, 5:37am
I think we should all burn our pickguards for liberty!

Yeah, and I love the feeling of freedom you get when you play without them.

Oh, "pickguard". Sorry, I misread an extra "r" in there. Thought you were talking tidy whities. :redface: