PDA

View Full Version : Martin A case

Mace
Feb-07-2005, 11:37pm
Just picked up a really sweet Martin A with the original end opening case. #Case has seen better days. #Recommendations?

Jim Garber
Feb-07-2005, 11:47pm
I recently bought three of these hardshell cases for my flattops from Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040624122034024044106177578705/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/544411/). They are currently on sale for $19.

They compare very favorably IMHO with similar cases by TKL at considerably less money. Bear in mind they are not arched but they seem sturdy and well made and amazing for the price. Beats just about anything I have seen on eBay as well.

Jim

Bob DeVellis
Feb-08-2005, 9:07am
Good price but I'm not sure it'll fit an early (flatback) Martin A. The instrument might be too loose or might not fit at all because of its depth and shape. A well-padded gig bag would probably do fine.

Jim Garber
Feb-08-2005, 9:27am
I wish I had a Martin A to try in this case for you. The MF case will fit a std Gibson style A. Both my cylinder back Vega and my std Leland flatback fit nicely as well. I would much rather have a solid case around any vintage instrument than even a well-padded gig bag. I have had too many accidents happen with instruments in gig bags.

If the body is smaller for the case, you could always pad it with a small towel.
Unless, of course, the mandolin does not fit at all because of the neck angle or the position of the accesories pocket.

I any case (hah!) I figured for that little money it is worth a try.

Also, if you have a music store nearby take it and see how it would fit in a std Gibson style HSC. If not, I figure the MF case is a less risky choice.

I could give you interior measurements, if you need them.

Jim

Mace
Feb-08-2005, 9:42am
I have an extra A style case and, although it could work with additional padding as the body length is short by a couple of inches, I am really trying to find a good, secure fit.

Jim Garber
Feb-08-2005, 9:50am
If you want a case that will actually fit the Martin you may have to go custom, like Modern Case Company (http://www.moderncase.com/mandolin.htm).

Case companies like Harptone which prided itself on making oddball cases do not exist to my knowledge.

You could check around at some of the vintage dealers who have these instuments and see if there are any vintage cases around.

I would be amazed to find that there is a case made today that will fit this snugly.

Jim

Bob DeVellis
Feb-08-2005, 12:40pm
Some of the Lelands ae very close to Martins in size and shape. If the Leland works, I'm less concerned that a Martin wouldn't.

Rob Anderson
Feb-09-2005, 11:17pm
Hello,
Modern case company's stuff is quite nice and their custom prices are pretty good. Very light cases and very protective.
However,if you want a case that looks like it could have came with your mandolin, you might want to take a look at my cases.I make custom cases for only slightly more than Modern's and can have it to you in under two weeks from the time I get a tracing and/or measurements.
Thanks,
Rob Anderson-Dunamis Designs 920-740-3274

mandroid
Feb-10-2005, 12:38am
I got a shaped rigid foam light case [johnson] from ol' musician's friend, that was quite economical, and fits A types loosly, room for spare sox and your mandolin too.

Mace
Feb-10-2005, 3:40am
Rob, any chance you could post pictures?

Rob Anderson
Feb-10-2005, 11:30pm
Hello,
Here is a link that will take you to some previous work. Lots of them get sent out before I get a chance to snap them. These will give you a good idea of the feel of my cases though.
Also if you search for my name in the equipment section you'll find a few more pictures including the most recent lacquered tweed, Loar inspired-sage green interior, A-style.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dunamisdesigns317/my_photos
Thanks,
Rob Anderson

telepbrman
Feb-11-2005, 1:01am
Hey Rob, I like your style in Amp cabs, and I have a question: I have a Dickerson lap steel w/o case, how much do the lap cases go for? That gray one is what I like since the D-lap is gray MOTS....thanks, dy.