PDA

View Full Version : All around "newbie" from Oz.

dragonette
Jun-29-2013, 9:53am
I've just ordered a Kentucky KM150 (arriving in two weeks), and being new to this instrument sadly forgot to order a spare set of strings. Can anyone suggest a good set of strings for this Mando?

Russ Donahue
Jun-29-2013, 10:12am
d'addarrio J74s

Ron McMillan
Jun-30-2013, 10:27am
D'Addario J74s are the string of choice for many here, but I don't recommend you get them for starting out, as they are on the heavy side for fingers new to fretting 8-stringers. With gauges of 11 to 40 (in thousands of an inch, I think), they are tough on the fingertips. I'd recommend looking for lighter strings, perhaps 10 to 34 gauge. Martins CFMs (http://www.juststrings.com/cfm-m-400.html) are fine.

ron

Jim
Jun-30-2013, 9:09pm
D'Addario J62 strings are .034G , .024D, .014A , .010E .Sound good and are easy on your fingers. You can move up to a medium guage string like J74s after you get some hand strength and calluses.

dragonette
Jun-30-2013, 10:23pm
D'Addario J74s are the string of choice for many here, but I don't recommend you get them for starting out, as they are on the heavy side for fingers new to fretting 8-stringers. With gauges of 11 to 40 (in thousands of an inch, I think), they are tough on the fingertips. I'd recommend looking for lighter strings, perhaps 10 to 34 gauge. Martins CFMs (http://www.juststrings.com/cfm-m-400.html) are fine.

ron

Thanks everyone for the info! As a beginner I think I'll take the good advice and go for a lighter string, I was about to post a query on string weights and this has answered my question. Cheers!

David Lewis
Jun-30-2013, 10:50pm
The Ernie ball earth wound 9 set is decent. And readily available too. Enjoy your picking!

mandolinlee
Jun-30-2013, 11:19pm
Welcome to the world of mandolin playing and the mandolincafe.

I suggest you buy 2 (two) sets of whatever string set you decide on, then should you break any while changing strings, you will have a replacements.

Might be a good idea to change strings as soon as you get the new ones, reason - strings on new mandos may be older and of less quality than the new ones.

Enjoy,
Lee

p.s. - if you're inexperienced at changing strings, go to www.frets.com and look at the index to find the tutorial on changing mandolin strings.

p.p.s. ----Change your strings ONE at a time so you don't lose your bridge position.
LHB