PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Custom Care and Feeding

Mountain Air Mando
Feb-07-2005, 9:25pm
Howdy Folks, I'm the new "kid" on the block. I have really enjoyed reading this board and have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks. I am new to string instruments. My music background only includes being a rock & Roll drummer for about 8 years. I've got to learn fast as I am 40 and don't have a whole lot of time left:) I will probably be asking many basic questions so please be patient. I should be receiving my new Weber Yellowstone Custom tomorrow. My question is this: Are there any special things I need to do with this instrument when I get it out of the box? I ordered a humidifier for it. The only thing I know to do when I get it out of the box is to play it. Please advise. Thanks!

Tiderider
Feb-07-2005, 11:31pm
If the weather is cold in your location then allow the packaged mandolin acclimate to your homes temperature for several hours before unpacking, then allow the cased mandolin to sit a while longer before opening. This torturous wait will keep the instruments finish from checking. Once it's out of the case check it over carefully, tune it up and see how it plays. If it hasn't already been setup, then I'd recommend taking it to a luthier who knows mandolins and have it setup. btw CONGRATS on a great mandolin and welcome to the forum.
Lee

Mountain Air Mando
Feb-08-2005, 3:23pm
Thanks Lee. It's sitting in my living room waiting to be opened.

bdisp
Feb-08-2005, 3:55pm
Get a hygrometer to keep in the case. Keep an eye on the humidity so you don't over/under humidify your wooden instrument. I bought mine from www.humistat.com. Someone here on the board pointed them out. I keep all my mandos and guitars between 50-55% RH. Once the RH in the case levels out, you just need to monitor.

Congrats on your mando..........it's a long way from drumming.

Mountain Air Mando
Feb-08-2005, 4:26pm
[QUOTE]it's a long way from drumming.

Yeah, I guess I'm gettin in touch with my kinder, gentler side LOL. Thanks for the info Bob.

bdisp
Feb-08-2005, 4:47pm
There ain't nothin' "kinder or gentler" about a mando. They're WICKED. You'll see...... Your percussion background will help you. Check out the thread "The next level".

mandodebbie
Feb-08-2005, 6:01pm
Don"t to forget to give your mando lots of love. Daily rub downs with a soft cloth will keep it's coat clean and glossy. Don't play during dinner, as fried chicken does not agree with them. Lastly, there will be a time, however, that you may want to "upgrade" to a fancier model. Apparently, mando's get jealous, so you will have to be very careful of their feelings. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

250sc
Feb-09-2005, 10:06am
As a drumer you will have an advantage over players with less experience with creating a 'pocket' in a band situation. The mando in a bluegrass setting serves the same function as a snare drum.

Have fun.