PDA

View Full Version : Sound Sample of my 2013 J Bovier F5-T...

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-27-2013, 6:15pm
Hey guys, I got my F5-T about a week ago. LOVE it.... Let me know what you think!... Playing critiques are helpful as well. I'm new to mandolin and welcome any and all advice. Thanks!

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OzwRnak2j5g

Ken
Jun-27-2013, 6:23pm
Well it pretty obvious you've put in a lot of practice time in your six months. Really like the richness of tone that your JBovier has as well as the volume. I've played a few locally and have also been impressed with them for the same reasons. So far so good!

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-27-2013, 6:29pm
Thanks Ken! Yeah, I try to practice every day. Before the JBovier, I was playing on an old no name brand that most would probably describe as unplayable. This one is a dream to play. Much easier on my left hand.

pefjr
Jun-27-2013, 7:41pm
You have developed good tone by not resting your right hand on the bridge or using your fingers to plant your hand. Good work.

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-27-2013, 8:08pm
You have developed good tone by not resting your right hand on the bridge or using your fingers to plant your hand. Good work.

Thanks! I don't know why I don't plant my hand. I plant my pinky all the time when I play ukulele. I guess it doesn't work as well for me when I'm holding a pick... Thanks for the feedback!

Ed Goist
Jun-27-2013, 9:03pm
Congratulations Bob!
Great sounding mandolin and great playing too.
Play on.

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-27-2013, 10:15pm
Congratulations Bob!
Great sounding mandolin and great playing too.
Play on.

Thanks Ed! Nice of you to say!

DataNick
Jun-28-2013, 12:31pm
Bob,

Sounds Great!...and you're doing real good (6 months! are you kiddin?)

Keep up the good work, and of course the JBovier F5 Tradition sounds great!

Thanks for posting the video!

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-28-2013, 12:44pm
Bob,

Sounds Great!...and you're doing real good (6 months! are you kiddin?)

Keep up the good work, and of course the JBovier F5 Tradition sounds great!

Thanks for posting the video!

Thanks Nick! I appreciate the kind words!

Jesse Weitzenfeld
Jun-28-2013, 12:58pm
Right hand looks very good. I would check the left hand though. It's hard to tell from this angle but you might be gripping the neck a little too close. It'll be a lot easier to fix now than later. Also remember to keep your wrist as straight as possible. If your wrist starts cocking one way or the other it's a sign that you're gripping the neck wrong.

Here's a video that might help. He discusses right and left hand technique. Note the left hand wrist angle:

http://youtu.be/NmagoBQunZI

Very good stuff for 6 months and I think you're on the right track. Mandolin sounds good too. Keep it up!

Edit: Also, I noticed that you had your left elbow resting on the arm of the chair during part of the video. You should really keep that unencumbered.

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-28-2013, 1:07pm
Right hand looks very good. I would check the left hand though. It's hard to tell from this angle but you might be gripping the neck a little too close. It'll be a lot easier to fix now than later. Also remember to keep your wrist as straight as possible. If your wrist starts cocking one way or the other it's a sign that you're gripping the neck wrong.

Here's a video that might help. He discusses right and left hand technique. Note the left hand wrist angle:

http://youtu.be/NmagoBQunZI

Very good stuff for 6 months and I think you're on the right track. Mandolin sounds good too. Keep it up!

Edit: Also, I noticed that you had your left elbow resting on the arm of the chair during part of the video. You should really keep that unencumbered.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that post Jesse! That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. It gives me some stuff to be aware of and work on. Really appreciate it!
Bob

OldGus
Jun-29-2013, 11:25am
It's got a nice tone but it comes across kind of shrill, especially on the chop. I think it will mellow with time and playing. Perhaps it would benefit from a new bridge.

shortymack
Jun-29-2013, 1:19pm
It's got a nice tone but it comes across kind of shrill, especially on the chop.

I thought the same thing. I was expecting to hear a lot more of a woody tone as has been said the JB's have.

As far as technique goes, IMO when it comes down to it, there is no absolute right or wrong. I could never hold my pick like that but what works for me doesnt for someone else. I often see new players who are trying to emulate exactly what someone like MM says and cant help but think they are just wearing shoes that dont fit them. Good places to start? Sure! But there is no single end all do all method or technique. Keep it up!

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-29-2013, 4:58pm
It's got a nice tone but it comes across kind of shrill, especially on the chop. I think it will mellow with time and playing. Perhaps it would benefit from a new bridge.

Yeah, that might have more to do with my poor chop skills than the mandolin itself. I'd still love to try an upgraded bridge on it though. That's a good idea.

Denny Gies
Jun-29-2013, 5:11pm
For a "newbie", Bob, you are doing great. The mandolin sounds very nice, great sustain and ringing. Congrats.

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-29-2013, 5:44pm
For a "newbie", Bob, you are doing great. The mandolin sounds very nice, great sustain and ringing. Congrats.

Thanks for the kind words Denny!

DataNick
Jun-30-2013, 10:22am
Yeah, that might have more to do with my poor chop skills than the mandolin itself. I'd still love to try an upgraded bridge on it though. That's a good idea.

Bob,

Could be your choice of pick...I just switched from my regular pick of a "Pappas" MH (1.27) to Golden Gate and I am noticing the tone has increased in the "woody" characteristics with less clarity in the higher register strings/notes. I'm sure the bevel shaping is playing a part as well...so it could really have nothing to do with your skill level...just my 2 cents...also play around with your pick angle (as it strikes the strings)...

Bob Bledsoe
Jun-30-2013, 12:13pm
Bob,

Could be your choice of pick...I just switched from my regular pick of a "Pappas" MH (1.27) to Golden Gate and I am noticing the tone has increased in the "woody" characteristics with less clarity in the higher register strings/notes. I'm sure the bevel shaping is playing a part as well...so it could really have nothing to do with your skill level...just my 2 cents...also play around with your pick angle (as it strikes the strings)...

Thanks for the tip Nick! I had just switched to a Wegen 2.0 and I definitely am not always holding it at the right angle. It produces a really strong attack when it's held flat against the strings - so that would account for a lot of that tone in the higher strings. Once I have a better pick technique, I'll record and post something else. It will be interesting to see if that more shrill sound is due to "user error"...

DataNick
Jun-30-2013, 4:30pm
Thanks for the tip Nick! I had just switched to a Wegen 2.0 and I definitely am not always holding it at the right angle. It produces a really strong attack when it's held flat against the strings - so that would account for a lot of that tone in the higher strings. Once I have a better pick technique, I'll record and post something else. It will be interesting to see if that more shrill sound is due to "user error"...
Yeah, this pick thing is something that from time to time I'm re-adjusting, and have different levels of comforatability day to day even!
Never really experienced this with guitar before...