PDA

View Full Version : Loar With Offset Tailpiece

9lbShellhamer
Jun-26-2013, 12:49pm
So I always keep an eye on the "What we're watching" ebay links here on the homepage of the cafe, and I often see these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310693689486

The above link is for a Loar and the tailpiece always seems to be offset, and was replaced, therefore making it a factory blem which is being sold at deep discount.

I'm a newbie at best, and currently I play a Kentucky KM160 that sounds ok. I purchased it from a Mando cafe advertiser and it was set up well, etc.

My question is this: Does anyone have experience with these The Loar models which have had their tailpieces reset, and are being sold as seconds? Are you happy with it? Since the sellers on ebay are usually doing a full set up when they repair the tailpiece it seems like they should be good to go upon recieving...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

f5loar
Jun-26-2013, 4:39pm
I've not seen a real Loar this way but have seen a few of the imports of most any brand come in this way. I would think a pro set up would fix this minor problem.

vegas
Jun-29-2013, 12:29am
This eBay seller is selling the Loars that The Mandolin Store or Folkmusician send back because they didn't pass inspection. She promises an in store setup but sends you the mandolin exactly as it is sent to her from the factory. Every single one of her listings is worded the same way with the "offset tailpiece" story.

testore
Jun-29-2013, 7:08pm
Moving a tailpiece is only an easy fix if the neck isn't crooked. Maybe the tailpiece is in the right place but the neck set isn't! Throw it out. I wouldn't gamble on it.

eastoregonian
Jun-29-2013, 7:32pm
I took a chance with this seller and was satisfied. The tailpiece is centered and there is no visible sign of it being moved. The instrument had not been through a full set up and had some action and intonation issues which were easily corrected using Mel Drum's set up instructions (his e-book). The price was right and the seller communicated well and was very responsive. It's a second but plays well and has very few blemishes only noticeable under very close inspection. All in all a good value for a starter. As always, "Buyer Beware", especially on the internet.

PhillipeTaylor
Jul-01-2013, 6:35am
I bought my Breedlove from this seller a year ago. It was used with tuner upgrades and a tail piece upgrade. It was a hell of a deal! it was set up just right too. I was going to buy one of the loars, but when I told her what I was looking for she directed me to the breedlove. Can't speak about the Loars but I had a great experience with the seller. funny I bought the 520 later from a shop in town. glad I got the Breedlove.

Barry Wilson
Jul-01-2013, 8:15am
I bought my loar from her. she responded to questions etc. mine had a bad nut and she carved a new one from bone

9lbShellhamer
Jul-01-2013, 2:12pm
Thanks for the replies folks! It doesn't sound like the Loar with offset tailpiece is worth it to me since I'm happy enough with the Kentucky KM 160 for now...

The Loar just doesn't sound like its a big enough bump up from the KM160 I currently have to jusitfy the gamble...

Guess I'll just keep saving to eventually get one that I really enjoyed while playing, the Breedlove FF or OF, (or even the K).

Thanks!

vegas
Jul-03-2013, 2:58am
I took a chance with this seller and was satisfied. The tailpiece is centered and there is no visible sign of it being moved. The instrument had not been through a full set up and had some action and intonation issues which were easily corrected using Mel Drum's set up instructions (his e-book). The price was right and the seller communicated well and was very responsive. It's a second but plays well and has very few blemishes only noticeable under very close inspection. All in all a good value for a starter. As always, "Buyer Beware", especially on the internet.

Your experience only supports any claim of this eBay seller's cupidity. I noticed all her eBay listings about the "misplaced tailpiece" were removed after I posted on this thread. Before I posted about my own unfortunate experience with this eBay seller, the "misplaced tailpiece" story which was originally at the center of all her eBay listings. Since starting this thread, it has been removed.

I specifically asked her about whether or not her business did an "in shop" set up. She assured me she did. When my mandolin arrived, one of the E strings snapped when I tried to tune her up. I brought it to a local music store in order to have it properly set up and the guy who helped me out LOL at the state of the mandolin I presented him. It now works, but not that well.

The point I was trying to make here is that I actually contacted this seller on eBay and she assured me I would get a custom, in-store set up if I bought my Loar 400 from her. I got an instrument which HAD NOT been set up. Maybe others have been able to take what she sells to the proper luthier for improvements, but if you are not somebody willing to take that time, DO NOT make a purchase from this seller.

Carolina Rookie
Jul-03-2013, 7:09am
She sure has alot of positive feedbacks though. Either alot of newbies like me buying mandolins from her or she actually delivers what she promises. Just a thought.

vegas
Jul-03-2013, 9:47am
She sure has alot of positive feedbacks though. Either alot of newbies like me buying mandolins from her or she actually delivers what she promises. Just a thought.

It is entirely possible I was the exception because I also noticed her positive feedbacks. My feeling is she was not candid with me because I specifically asked about her in store set up and purchased from her on that basis. When all her listings talked about having an "offset tailpiece," and the tailpiece had not been moved when it arrived, I had to conclude this was her sales pitch and the lower prices she charged compared to our board sponsors was because she was buying seconds from the distributer. Many people will buy a mandolin that is second rate because they are first time buyers and can't tell the difference. The fact they get what they want for a better price is all it takes to make them happy. I suspect that is the case here. Anyway, I felt I should share my experience and find it amusing the "offset tailpiece" story that was in almost every one of her Loar listings has disappeared since I first posted about her on this board.