PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM 405

chuckh55
Jun-25-2013, 7:29pm
Found a used KM 405, A model, but can't find the model mentioned any where, I suppose that might be a sign of a bad thing. Would anyone here be able to tell me anything about them. I'm a beginner and saving for something better to start with and I know you pay for what you get. Would like to find out about them...
Thanks!
Chuck

chuckh55
Jun-26-2013, 2:19pm
Found a used KM 405, A model, but can't find the model mentioned any where, I suppose that might be a sign of a bad thing. Would anyone here be able to tell me anything about them. I'm a beginner and saving for something better to start with and I know you pay for what you get. Would like to find out about them...
Thanks!
Chuck

Guess I answered my own question. For those interested there is no model KM405. I spoke with Tom at Saga and he said they have never had a model 405 the seller said he saw it on a label he removed from inside the instrument. The price is now out of the realm of bargain anymore, but it was interesting to research it.

rgray
Jun-26-2013, 6:14pm
I was sitting back to see if anyone had ever heard of a 405 something I never have. With the label off the seller might be calling it anything to a novice who might get taken for a ride. Keep looking and something you like will turn up. Good luck.

Capt. E
Jun-28-2013, 9:24am
Do you think he mis-remembered the number? Could it be KM-505? If so, it is one of the best beginner's mandolins. If the top is solid I don't think you could go wrong spending up to $300 or so on it. (If you can see the grain continue on the edges of the ff holes it is a solid top). Even better would be to have someone who knows mandolins take a look at it.

Jim
Jun-29-2013, 4:38pm
the seller said he saw it on a label he removed from inside the instrument Why would anyone do that except to mislead?

Gerard Dick
Jun-29-2013, 5:16pm
Why would anyone do that except to mislead?

Exactly

bjewell
Jul-02-2013, 8:25am
The mandolin (I've seen it) is being offered by a charity concern and the people who put it up for sale obviously don't know what it is. There is no intent to defraud here...

Capt. E
Jul-03-2013, 9:37am
A solid or laminate top will tell you a lot. If solid, it is at least a KM505. You may be able to tell the model from the decorations and other details. Then again, if it sells for say $200, you're probably safe buying and getting your money back if you later sell.

Bill Snyder
Jul-04-2013, 8:38pm
Bjewell I guess this thread is about the one that was for sale by shopgoodwill.com I emailed them and asked them to check the label and they never got back to me.

RKL
Jul-18-2013, 8:44pm
The KM 505 is all solid. Spruce over maple. Great mandolin for the money.

Keith
Charlotte, NC