PDA

View Full Version : My New-To-Me Gypsy Nylon String

multidon
Jun-21-2013, 10:09pm
I am now the happy owner of a Gypsy Nylon String Mandolin. It was part of the big Bernunzio clearance sale. Got a killer price and just couldn't resist. I am almost certain it is the same exact instrument that was discussed in this thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?65709-Gypsy-s-nylon-string-mandolin&highlight=nylon+string+gypsy (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?65709-Gypsy-s-nylon-string mandolin&highlight=nylon+string+gypsy)

If I interpret the serial number correctly it shows a completion date of September 2010, same as the above thread. Mine has exactly the same combination of woods- walnut back, sides, and headstock overlay, spruce top, mahogany neck, maple binding, ebony board and bridge. How's it sound you ask? Great! To my ears it sounds like a cross between a mandolin and a miniature classical guitar. It's a natural for Bach. I might try it for some Celtic and Old Time too. It's a sweeter, gentler, more tame mandolin sound. Not a banjo killer, nor was it meant to be. Besides, I just think it's neat to own something that was the subject of a discussion thread here! A thread that I followed at the time and I remember thinking what a great idea it was.

pheffernan
Jun-21-2013, 10:31pm
Congratulations! I don't know if I should thank you for removing temptation or curse you for picking up the bargain, but I was eyeing that instrument long and hard on the Bernunzio sale but just couldn't justify another flattop. Like you, I think that the figuring on the walnut looks identical to the 2010 thread, which I hard unearthed as well. I'd love to hear some sound clips and updates if you ever change the strings, especially to the Aquila ones referenced.

Mandoviol
Jun-21-2013, 10:53pm
I put Aquila 5ths strings on a soprano uke and really liked it, so I bet you're digging playing nylon in courses! I love the feeling of nylon strings and the warmth that comes with the tone. Do let us know what the full-sized mandolin strings sound like!

bratsche
Jun-21-2013, 11:08pm
Congratulations, Don!

One of the projects I've had in my "wish list" would be to get hold of some kind of a larger ukulele (tenor?) and convert it to a 5ths tuning, as I love the warmth of nylon strings and classical guitars as well.

bratsche

multidon
Jun-22-2013, 5:24am
I have 2 sets of the Aquila strings on order from Elderly. I'm not sure whether the strings have ever been changed. I know in our discussions Walt said his set was cobbled together out of classical guitar and concert uke sets. It would be much easier if the Aquias work out. I will keep you posted and post a sound clip soon I hope.

cayuga red
Jun-22-2013, 7:36am
I have 2 sets of the Aquila strings on order from Elderly. I'm not sure whether the strings have ever been changed. I know in our discussions Walt said his set was cobbled together out of classical guitar and concert uke sets. It would be much easier if the Aquias work out. I will keep you posted and post a sound clip soon I hope.
Multi-Don: congrats. Walt makes a fine mando. Look forward to your clip.