PDA

View Full Version : Weber Gallatin Mandolins

brian2
Feb-25-2004, 12:13pm
What does everyone think about Weber Gallatin Mandolins? They look like really nice ones to me.

"I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent." #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Zimm
Feb-25-2004, 12:57pm
Hi Brian,

I have only played a couple of Gallatins a couple of times, but here is my take on them: I really enjoyed the tone. The bass especially was nice, and it had a wooden sound to it. I guess neither was as deep as some others, but if I had the money I would have bought either of them. As a disclaimer, I am partial to Webers, having loved every one that I have played.

-John.

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-25-2004, 1:12pm
I own the mandola version, I picked it up used, Once I played it, couldn't leave mandolin bros without it.
cheers

Feb-25-2004, 1:13pm
This applies to any mandolin to some degree: play them. #I went a shop and they had four Gallatins with combinations of glossy vs satin finish and mahogony vs. maple backs. # Most retailers that I've seen order them with some upgrades so make sure your are comparing the same product. #

The best description that I can come up with in moving from my import to a Gallatin was that I felt like I was working with the Gallatin where I felt I was working against the import. #Of course, increasing experience level was a factor there also. #That would probably apply to any mandolins of those general categories.

ShaneJ
Feb-25-2004, 1:36pm
I had a Hyalite (A style version of the Gallatin, pretty much), and I wish I'd kept it. Other than sliding out of my lap due to the lack of points on the body, it was a great mandolin. Excellent tone, stayed in tune, played like a dream (although I do prefer a radiused fretboard to the flat one it had), and VERY well made. Being new to mandolin, I thought I needed a scroll, maple back and glossy finish. Well, I do prefer the looks of an F-style body, but I like the natural finish better than glossy. I think it doesn't hinder the tone the way extra finish on the wood sometimes can. I like the warmer sound of mahogany too. I'm playing my 3rd mandolin now, after buying my first one about 1 year ago. (Hyalite was my 2nd) I'll likely go to natural finish mahogany or rosewood back next time, in an F-style. I hope to build my next one.

Just my $0.02!

Walter Newton
Feb-25-2004, 3:59pm
They're certainly nice, just don't expect the mahogany ones to sound like a typical (maple) F-style; if you've ever played a mahogany Mid-Mo, for example, it's got more of that sound which I think of as almost guitar-like. Nothing necessarily wrong with that (I used to have a MidMo) if that's what you want, just don't be confused by the scroll into thinking it's a BG mando.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-25-2004, 4:14pm
" ... a mahogany Mid-Mo, for example, it's got more of that sound which I think of as almost guitar-like."

I always considered the Mid-mo's 'guitar-like' tonality came more from the flat-top / flat-back construction and the round soundhole, as oppsed to the arch-top / arch-back F-holed Bluegrass style.

But then again, in a recent Weber thread we discussed some fo the tonal dif's between Mahogany backs and Maple, so surely the back and side wood is a factor in the tone.

- Benignus

Oh, I almost forgot ... Go Mid-mo!

Walter Newton
Feb-25-2004, 4:28pm
"I always considered the Mid-mo's 'guitar-like' tonality came more from the flat-top / flat-back construction and the round soundhole, as oppsed to the arch-top / arch-back F-holed Bluegrass style."

You could be right. I do remember, though, that when I got a chance to play a mahagony Gallatin I owned both a round-hole, flat mahogany Mid-Mo and an F-hole, arched maple Weber, and I thought it sounded more like the former than the latter.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-25-2004, 4:30pm
Well alrighy then ... that's very interesting. I'll just have to check out a Mahogany backed Weber some day.

PCypert
Feb-26-2004, 11:35am
I'd have to agree on the mahog Webers. I'm a big fan of the mahogany sound. Only play mahog guitars and up until a week ago only had a mahog mandolin. I love the smooth sound of mahog, but a mahog mandolin sounds to me more "guitar like". The Webers I've played certainly fit in to that as well. As did some other mahog Mandolins I've played. I don't know if two people using that term to describe something are even saying the same thing. But that's been my experience. I kind of liked it. Helped add flavor to my little folk ensemble. But now I'm wanting and the bands wanting more of a distinct mandolin voice. Switched to maple, different brand, and have a more predictable mandolin sound. I could be really wrong here, but it's what I've noticed so I'm just sharing that much.

Lee
Feb-26-2004, 3:11pm
There's a Gallatin on the classifieds right now with a radiussed fretboard.
(I'm not gaining anything...)

Michael H Geimer
Feb-26-2004, 10:26pm
PCypert,
Interesting stuff. I also play in a little folk ensemble, but I was switching between an all mahogany Mid-mo and a maple/spruce Weber. I hear the same tonal distinctions, but it always seemed natural to credit the arching, and F-holes for most of the difference in tone.

There is certainly a huge difference between my all mahogany Martin, and my spruce / mahogany Larrivee. Neither one ' wins ', mind you ... they're just too different to compete against each other.

I've wondered if a Gallatin upgraded to maple back and side, and with a radioused fingerboard might not be the best deal in town ... great body, nice playable neck ... and pretty much nothing else.

Of course, that's just my idea of a good buy.

- Benig

vedauwoorocks
Feb-28-2004, 9:45pm
I think the mahogany Webers are in a class by themselves. With different strings, you can pull a little harder tone out of them. They sound very different with Thomastiks, for example.
Pcypert--This is off topic, but what kind of guitars do you like? I tend to be leaning more and more towards mahogany in guitars. Haven't really warmed up to rosewood, but I have a Koa that I like.
--Fred