PDA

View Full Version : Adam Steffey - New Primitive Interview

NewsFetcher
Jun-18-2013, 7:30am
The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
Adam Steffey - New Primitive Interview (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001537.shtml)

Adam Steffey is out with a spectacular new project that blends progressive bluegrass mandolin with old time music. In this feature interview with Adam we learned more about his choice of mandolins and the motivation behind the new recording entitled New Primitive.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/uploads/adamsteffey-newprimite.jpg (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001537.shtml)

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.

Perry
Jun-18-2013, 9:22am
Right up my alley...ordering now! If you need More Adam...his playing on Kenny Smith's last album is really great too.

Russ Jordan
Jun-18-2013, 9:38am
I ordered a copy this morning from adamsteffey.com

AlanN
Jun-18-2013, 10:39am
Did the same, looks to be very great.

doc holiday
Jun-18-2013, 1:52pm
me too!!! Adam's 'Chinkapin Hunting' is already a favorite............... & Emory Lester's "At Dusk"..... his version of "Going Across The Sea' is cool

David Horovitz
Jun-18-2013, 3:20pm
These tracks sound great. It's interesting that Adam Steffey and John Reischman have each put out mandolin-centric solo albums around the same time that meld bluegrass and old-time. Just a coincidence? Whatever it is, it's all good!

almeriastrings
Jun-18-2013, 10:53pm
Interesting to hear about Adam's MAS for a 1 3/16" Big Mon - because that's exactly what I have. It was a custom order with a neck width based on the Gibson Sam Bush model, and pretty wide frets. So, they have done this before, mine is number 127. Not sure if it is the only one made like that so far, but doubtless they could do another. It too is a great mandolin with a lot of character. The mix of old-time influences and bluegrass works extremely well in my opinion. Monroe continued to be highly influenced by old-time fiddle tunes in particular, especially later in his life. Just listen to what is going on in tunes such as "The Old Mountaineer", "Tanyards" and "Lonesome Old Farmer" - you can almost hear clawhammer rhythms in there. Very 'Ancient Tones'. Great job with this new project!

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Jun-19-2013, 7:19am
Great interview....so he's using Northfield mandolins?

coletrickle
Jun-19-2013, 1:48pm
What an awesome recording! I love the arrangements of these tunes...much like Adam Hurt's albums that he cites...original and driving. I love the version of Squirrel Hunters. It is refreshing to hear these tunes with breaks. So many of my recordings of these tunes are more traditional old time without variation. I like the traditional approach and I like this approach. Room for both!

SincereCorgi
Jun-19-2013, 3:44pm
I listened to it on Spotify this morning. A lot of the playing's great, wonderful solos, but the sound is just too polished for me, something about the way it's mixed or mic'd or something. It made me want to hear a little bit more dirt in the sound. I am undecided about how well the idea of mixing bluegrass soloing with old time worked for Steffey. My personal gold standard for that kind of blending is the kids on Patuxent, and I feel like this fell a little short by comparison.

mandomedic
Jun-19-2013, 4:36pm
Just bought a copy from Amazon and downloaded and will feature it on my community radio station tomorrow morning (June 20) ... What a well done album this is. I predict this will be a classic for years. Thanks Adam.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-20-2013, 1:28am
I ordered my copy direct from Adam's site yesterday. His continued endorsement of the Northfield mandolins makes me only more frustrated that nobody in the UK has them.However i'm eagerly awaiting to hear Adam playing his along with Tina's Frailing banjo - what a combo !!.
From David Horovitz - "...mandolin-centric solo albums around the same time that meld bluegrass and old-time.". Maybe both players have the same idea that i have,in that it's often worth while returning to the roots of the music you play - a bit like having a drink of cool,clear, refreshing water,
Ivan;)

Mandoe
Jun-21-2013, 8:10am
Picked up New Primitive and am really enjoying it...for me, this may be Adam's best...I can't remember Adam playing with more energy and joy and drive...wonderful!

John Duncan
Jun-21-2013, 9:00am
Chinquapin Hunting has such a deep groove. I think I stomped a hole in my floor.

Russ Jordan
Jun-21-2013, 10:26am
Ordered on Adam's website Tuesday, and it was in my mailbox Thursday. Wonderful playing by all. Congratulations Adam, on a great job. Would love to see a live performance!!

OldSausage
Jun-21-2013, 9:11pm
Yes, this is a wonderful CD - Chinquapin Hunting is the standout track for me so far, that's the one I was waiting for, but they're all really good.

CollingsFever101
Jun-23-2013, 6:20pm
Interesting to hear about Adam's MAS for a 1 3/16" Big Mon - because that's exactly what I have. It was a custom order with a neck width based on the Gibson Sam Bush model, and pretty wide frets. So, they have done this before, mine is number 127. Not sure if it is the only one made like that so far, but doubtless they could do another. It too is a great mandolin with a lot of character. The mix of old-time influences and bluegrass works extremely well in my opinion. Monroe continued to be highly influenced by old-time fiddle tunes in particular, especially later in his life. Just listen to what is going on in tunes such as "The Old Mountaineer", "Tanyards" and "Lonesome Old Farmer" - you can almost hear clawhammer rhythms in there. Very 'Ancient Tones'. Great job with this new project!

Would you consider posting a video demonstration of your custom Northfield, almeriastrings? I'd love to hear it. :)

almeriastrings
Jun-24-2013, 3:17am
Check this thread... ;)

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?96346-Upcoming-audio-comparison

Plectrosaurus
Jun-24-2013, 10:44pm
Purchased this on ITunes over the weekend and have been wearing it out. Love the 'old time' sound as well as true Bluegrass. The mixture of tunes is very much to my liking!!!

Great job Adam. Waiting on the next one.

Mandolin Cafe
Jun-18-2018, 6:56am
Noting the anniversary of this interview with one of the all-time great mandolinists.

Mandolin Cafe
Jun-18-2020, 10:00am
Noting the anniversary of this interview. One of our very favorite albums, this one.

Mandolin Cafe
Jun-18-2021, 6:38am
Noting today's anniversary of this interview.