PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Bluegrass Songs?

Ashville Picker
Feb-06-2005, 3:54pm
My church has asked me to play mandolin in it's first ever Bluegrass theme Sunday service. It also happens to be a Baptism Sunday. I would like to make some song recommendations, but can't think of any Bluegrass/Baptism tunes. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Larry

glauber
Feb-06-2005, 4:58pm
I bet Shall We Gather At The River sounds good.

There's always the Oh Brother Where Art Thou stuff, like their version of I'll Fly Away.

ShaneJ
Feb-06-2005, 5:49pm
Amazing Grace, Turn Your Radio On, This World Is Not My Home, Are You Washed In The Blood?, Where The Soul Never Dies, Hold To God's Unchanging Hand ..... some of my favorite old hymns that sound good bluegrassed up. A fitting newer song that's more Country than Bluegrass is Baptism by Randy Travis.

Feb-06-2005, 8:59pm
"Down to the River to Pray". It is one of that O Brother Disc. I don't know how it would sound with instruments though. I've only heard it done with vocals.

Ashville Picker
Feb-07-2005, 8:20am
Thanks. Down to the River to Pray was my first thought, until I re-played my Oh Brother CD to find it as an acappella tune. But, I figure someone has to have done it with instruments, right? Thanks to all for the suggestions. Larry

RichardMcc
Feb-07-2005, 12:00pm
There is a song on several Bluegrass Gospel CDs (The Stained Glass Hour (Ricky Skaggs), etc.) called "River of Jordan" that has a good mandolin/guitar/bass part. #Here are the lyrics...

http://www.bluegrasslyrics.com/louvin_song.cfm-recordID=s43915.htm

Mike Bullard
Feb-07-2005, 1:48pm
Another one is "The First Step To Heaven" by The Nashville Bluegrass Band or Ricky Skaggs and Ralph Stanley. The RS version is on the Ralph Stanley Sunday Morning CD. I have the words if you need them.

Ashville Picker
Feb-09-2005, 4:00pm
These recommendations have given me plenty to consider. Thanks. I actually have a few of the above mentioned songs in my humble collection of Bluegrass recordings. Thanks to all. Larry

csstanley
Feb-09-2005, 5:33pm
"Down to the River to Pray". It is one of that O Brother Disc. I don't know how it would sound with instruments though. I've only heard it done with vocals.
I've got it in "E" and it sounds pretty good on guitar. I really like that song.

got to: www.gospelmusic.org.uk/a-g/down_to_the_river_to_pray.htm

See what that gives ya.

Ashville Picker
Feb-09-2005, 7:10pm
Thanks. I will give it a try right now. Larry

All_Smiles_Tonight
Feb-09-2005, 8:57pm
I like the old song "50 Miles of Elbow Room" that Norman Blake does.

Ashville Picker
Feb-11-2005, 7:15am
I don't have any Norman Blake in my collection. I need to change that. Thanks, Larry

Bradley
Feb-12-2005, 9:53am
[QUOTE]I like the old song "50 Miles of Elbow Room" that Norman Blake does.

I guess that would be needed if were a bunch of my Pentecostal friends being baptized http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

BlueMt.
Feb-12-2005, 9:49pm
Todd Phillips "In The Pines" has a nice instrumental version of Down To The River to Pray ( Down in the valley to Pray) in the key of A. #There's a companion tab book available also.

Ashville Picker
Feb-13-2005, 6:37pm
Thanks. I had not heard ot Todd Phillips. I was able to find the CD on ebay, but can uncover no hint of a tab book. Is the CD worth $20? Thanks again, Larry

All_Smiles_Tonight
Feb-13-2005, 7:00pm
[QUOTE]I like the old song "50 Miles of Elbow Room" that Norman Blake does.

I guess that would be needed if were a bunch of my Pentecostal friends being baptized http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
The Carter Family dis it.

FIFTY MILES OF ELBOW ROOM
(F.W. McGee)
G C
Twelve hundred miles, its length and breadth
G D7 G
That four-square city stands
C
It's gem-set walls of jasper shine
G D7 G
They're not made by human hands
C G
One hundred miles its gates are wide
C G
Abundant entrance there
C G Em
With fifty miles of elbow room
G D7 G
On either side to spare.

(Chorus)
G
When the gates swing wide on the other side
C G
Just beyond the sunset sea
There'll be room to spare as we enter there
D7
There'll be room for you and room for me
G
For the gates are wide on the other side
C G
Where the fairest flowers bloom
C G Em
On the right hand and on the left hand
G D7 G
Fifty miles of elbow room.

G
Sometimes I'm cramped and I'm crowded here
D7 G
And I long for elbow room
I long to reach for altitude
D7 G
Where the fairest flowers bloom
C G C G
It won't be long before I pass into that city fair
C G Em
With fifty miles of elbow room
G D7 G
On either side to spare.

goldtopper
Feb-14-2005, 10:46am
We do "Down to the River to Pray" with instruments and it comes out great.
My favorite is "River Jordan" as done by the Louvin Brothers. Much better than Skaggs' version IMHO. Hands down the congregation's favorite too.

BlueMt.
Feb-14-2005, 6:17pm
Thanks. I had not heard ot Todd Phillips. I was able to find the CD on ebay, but can uncover no hint of a tab book. Is the CD worth $20? Thanks again, Larry
Janet Davis has the cd + book for $19.95. I've enjoyed the cd and learned some from the tab.

Moose
Feb-15-2005, 10:35am
Goldtopper: Beautiful song! - good to know "the Louvin Brothers still live" - Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Adam Tracksler
Feb-15-2005, 12:08pm
I always thought "Many Rivers to Cross" by Jimmy Cliff would kick some ### in a bluegrass version.. hey I should work on that....

csstanley
Feb-15-2005, 1:19pm
"Are you washed in the blood?" "Brethren we have met to worship." and maybe "When the Roll is Called up yonder" may be some other good ones. Got tabs to all of them if ya need 'em.