PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin purchase assistance/opinions

Eric C.
Jun-13-2013, 12:56pm
Hi folks,
I'm in a bit of a delema. I have plans of purchasing a KM900 here in a few weeks (at about $1,000).

Here's where it gets tricky. I've come across an extra 500 bucks that I "should" have free to put towards the mandolin purchase. I'm a bit confused when it comes to the KM900. Is it comparable to the KM1000, or the KM1500? Is the KM1000 worth the extra $400 over the KM900? It may be worth noting that I have no preference between A or F style, I jsut hear the KM900 is the best I can afford (new).

To make things a little more tricky, I've been eye-balling the JBovier A-5 priced at $500.

If you were in my shoes, and you were dead set on purchasing a Kentucky, would you:

A.) Buy the KM900 at $1,000 and pocket the $500 extra money that fell in your lap.
B.) Buy the KM900 and have the florida scooped for a total of about $1,100.
C.) Buy the KM900 and the Jbovier A-5 for a total of about $1,500.
D.) Buy the KM1000 for about $1,400.
E.) Buy the Jbovier A-5 for $500.

I've been saving for this for some time and I've held off buying a new mandolin about as long as I possibly can so saving "just a bit more" isn't an option I can consider.

What's your thoughts and thanks a bunch for the opinions on this!

Eric

edit: I will be purchasing the mandolin from Folk Musician, so the set-up will be amazing (from my personal experience).

Tobin
Jun-13-2013, 1:10pm
You haven't played any of these models? Regardless of where you buy one, you really should sit down and compare them before shelling out the cash for one, if you don't know which is better.

I haven't played a KM900 but I did sit for a while at a local shop and play a KM750 and a KM1000 (priced at $750 and $1000 respectively). Both were disappointing to me. It could have just been that I wasn't used to either of them. But after playing them, I crossed them off my list of mandolins I would consider purchasing. I'd have been fairly upset if I had bought one online, not ever having seen one or touched one in person, and ending up being disappointed.

Really, go find a shop that has them and evaluate them yourself. I know that's not possible with all models, but Kentucky brand mandolins are everywhere and you should be able to find them within driving range.

stevedenver
Jun-13-2013, 1:17pm
hold on
i think this is fairly simple

first and foremost, if you can,
buy one at a time , unless the price is so great, you cannot pass it up
dont let the money burn a hole in your pocket

second
play them all, and thats what you go by (go buy LOL)

imho, you are in such a close price range and quality, that you coud very well get lesser priced instrument in the same range or by the maker that outshines a higher priced one-happens sometimes with a martin D28 verus a D-41, or the like.....

otoh,
if there are certain aesthetic/cosmetic things that float your boat, like inlay, F or A, etc,
give this thought, as i believe these things carry some weight-in terms of your long term satisfaction-the other thing, is, i would certainly try to save money, buying like-new used -patience will almost always yeild what you are looking for at a good price and condition-

as for being in the situation that you cannot play one before you purchase,
or if they are from different sellers so that you cannot ask for an honest opinion from the seller (even if they have a pony in the race)
then
do your research and hope for the best, based on the reputation and info you gather

i urge you to set aside any overage $$$, should you have any, and give that new mando a month of yoru time
you may find that fewer may meet your needs
but more importantly
you will not have "new car" blinders on
buy one and put your head into it as far as how it sounds and plays
then
another later

i say this from experience-you will have better perspective and judgment as to not only your needs but the instrument itself, if you dont 'stack em up'

also, make sure you have a trial period and can return -sometimes it takes a day or so to let the excitement subside and your brain re-engage

i agree its worth getting you hands on these first if you possibly can-
if you cant, then its up to your confidence in the seller's guidance, opinion and integrity

Eric C.
Jun-13-2013, 1:21pm
You haven't played any of these models? Regardless of where you buy one, you really should sit down and compare them before shelling out the cash for one, if you don't know which is better.

I haven't played a KM900 but I did sit for a while at a local shop and play a KM750 and a KM1000 (priced at $750 and $1000 respectively). Both were disappointing to me. It could have just been that I wasn't used to either of them. But after playing them, I crossed them off my list of mandolins I would consider purchasing. I'd have been fairly upset if I had bought one online, not ever having seen one or touched one in person, and ending up being disappointed.

Really, go find a shop that has them and evaluate them yourself. I know that's not possible with all models, but Kentucky brand mandolins are everywhere and you should be able to find them within driving range.

Thank you for the advice Tobin. I'm in a little pocket of the world called Northeast Ohio, where the closest mandolin worth test driving is 4 hours one way for me, so I don't really have that option.

Honestly, I began thinking about purchasing the KM900 because of all of the praise it gets in this forum and from a lengthy phone conversation with Robert at folkmusician. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fret size on that mandolin. I was informed it has thinner frets than my current mandolin. I'm not too concerned about that though.

Thanks again Tobin!

Steve Ostrander
Jun-13-2013, 1:31pm
If you are not addicted to scroll, I would look at the km900. I own one, and it sounds better than any km1000 I have played, but I've only played a handful of km1000s. Mine is a 2008, and I've played it a lot, so it's sounding good.

shortymack
Jun-13-2013, 1:31pm
If you want bigger frets, wider nut, radiused and scooped board theres the KM950 instead. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9689

Eric C.
Jun-13-2013, 2:32pm
I wonder how they deem the KM950 more affordable than the KM900. It seems like there are a lot of "upgrades" on the KM950. I wonder if the 950 is made at the same location and the same department that the 900, 1000 and 1500 are produced?

If you want bigger frets, wider nut, radiused and scooped board theres the KM950 instead. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9689

Eric C.
Jun-13-2013, 2:34pm
Thank you Steve for your reply. From yours and Tobin's accounts, I'm gathering that the KM900 is "closer" on par with the 1500 and not the 1000?

If you are not addicted to scroll, I would look at the km900. I own one, and it sounds better than any km1000 I have played, but I've only played a handful of km1000s. Mine is a 2008, and I've played it a lot, so it's sounding good.

Grommet
Jun-13-2013, 2:49pm
If your budget for this purpose is going to be $1500 you have some great options in addition to the popular KM-900 or 950. Howard Morris from Irrigon Oregon crafts nice A models for about $1,000. His F models might be in range also. Well used Collings MTs, or Silverangel A-models appear in the Café classifieds now and then, occasionally close to your budget. There is a Rigel A+ in the classifieds today for less (barely) than $1500. I've played only one each of the KM 900 and KM1000. They were both nice. But, in my opinion, you could do much better buying a used mandolin.

Scott

houseworker
Jun-13-2013, 3:02pm
I wonder how they deem the KM950 more affordable than the KM900. It seems like there are a lot of "upgrades" on the KM950. I wonder if the 950 is made at the same location and the same department that the 900, 1000 and 1500 are produced?

Yes, they're from the same workshop and built to the same general (very high) standard. The "upgrades" on the x50 models simply reflect contemporary preferences, and cost no more to build than the traditionally set up versions. The pricing at any given moment between the KM900 and KM950 will depend on when the particular store bought their stock and how quickly it is shifting. Another month and you may find the 950 costing more than the 900, depending on supply and demand.

I'd suggest you choose between the KM900 and KM950 (it sounds as though the 950 is more to your taste) and hold on to the rest of your money. They're terrific instruments, and you'll not be needing another mando for a while!

J Mangio
Jun-13-2013, 3:59pm
I'd check out the '09 KM-1000 for 1K in the classifieds.

DataNick
Jun-13-2013, 4:55pm
JBovier rocks dude!

The A5 Special for $499 http://www.themandoshop.com/pages-jbovier/J-A5-AV-G-11090059-599.html

The F5 Special for $1099 http://www.themandoshop.com/pages-jbovier/J-F5-Special-K71205-1439.html

Can't go wrong with either...

Eric C.
Jun-14-2013, 1:12pm
I'm really leaning towards that KM950. I just wish my favorite store (folkmusican) carried that model. Aren't Jacobson mandolins in this price range also?

Michael Bridges
Jun-14-2013, 4:43pm
Definitely check with Marty Jacobson. At $1500 price range, he might just be able to put you into a lot more mando than the others you've mentioned (although those are some nice ones). Add to that that you'd be looking at an original, that was BUILT FOR YOU, and the fact that Marty's instruments play and sound fantastic, and they become even more attractive. He's a super guy to deal with, or just talk mandolins with. I highly suggest giving him a shout. Check all the threads from folks who bought out his spring line, and see what they say!

eastman_315
Jun-14-2013, 5:17pm
If your budget for this purpose is going to be $1500 you have some great options in addition to the popular KM-900 or 950. Howard Morris from Irrigon Oregon crafts nice A models for about $1,000. His F models might be in range also. Well used Collings MTs, or Silverangel A-models appear in the Café classifieds now and then, occasionally close to your budget. There is a Rigel A+ in the classifieds today for less (barely) than $1500. I've played only one each of the KM 900 and KM1000. They were both nice. But, in my opinion, you could do much better buying a used mandolin.

Scott
What he said.

I had a <$1K budget & ended up spending a bit more. If I had a $1500 budget, I'd certainly keep an I on the cafe classifieds. I'm just sayin'. I suspect that'll be my next mando purchase, if there is a next mando purchase. :-)

Frank

Mandobar
Jun-14-2013, 10:42pm
there was a KM900 used in the classifieds for around $600.

houseworker
Jun-14-2013, 10:58pm
there was a KM900 used in the classifieds for around $600.

We need a link.

houseworker
Jun-14-2013, 11:02pm
I'm really leaning towards that KM950. I just wish my favorite store (folkmusican) carried that model.

Give them a call and ask.

eastman_315
Jun-15-2013, 6:48am
I'm really leaning towards that KM950. I just wish my favorite store (folkmusican) carried that model
Not your favorite store, but The Mandolin Store has a couple. My experience with TMS was super! The setup on my eastman md-315 was great. I can't say enough good things about them.

Frank

Eric C.
Jul-03-2013, 12:01pm
Yes, they're from the same workshop and built to the same general (very high) standard. The "upgrades" on the x50 models simply reflect contemporary preferences, and cost no more to build than the traditionally set up versions. The pricing at any given moment between the KM900 and KM950 will depend on when the particular store bought their stock and how quickly it is shifting. Another month and you may find the 950 costing more than the 900, depending on supply and demand.

I'd suggest you choose between the KM900 and KM950 (it sounds as though the 950 is more to your taste) and hold on to the rest of your money. They're terrific instruments, and you'll not be needing another mando for a while!

Update: I just pulled the trigger on the KM950 from the Mandolin Store. How cool is that? When I decided on the Kentucky models originally, I was 100% certain I was going to purchase one from Folkmusician. Then I heard of the new km950's and decided in the end to go with that instead. I don't feel "too" guilty about not going through Robert at folkmusician because I'm eyeballing oval hole mandolins for the inevitable next mandolin and he has a lot of fine looking instruments with an oval hole in the top!

Thanks to everyone for their advice in this thread!

Eric

Just wanted to add that I spoke briefly with Brian at TMS this morning and he was really helpful, even telling me which of the 2 he liked better, and that's the one I'm getting. Upon ordering, I got a thank you email from Kathy which was also really nice. I'll tell you, I have done direct business now with 3 mandolin cafe sponsors (Elderly, Folkmusician, and The Mandolin Store) and all three are as top notch as you can get. How many other sponsors can I do business with? This community is great.