PDA

View Full Version : McPherson Mando??

DamonIRB
Jun-11-2013, 2:27pm
Ran across this on YouTube. I've never seen a McPherson mandolin and I can't find anything about them on their website, other than this same video.

Anyone seen/played one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLx9WstbZGs

DamonIRB
Jun-11-2013, 3:39pm
Found this on the McPherson Guitar Facebook page, posted June 3rd...

"The Mandolin is a prototype made at the request of the Band Perry. Neil has several McPherson Mandolins and is doing some live performance testing for us. There have only been 5 made and we will have to wait and see what the future brings in the McPherson Mandolin world."

Guess that explains why I can't find anything about them. Given the quality of their guitars, this is very exciting!

Jim Garber
Jun-11-2013, 4:03pm
Hard to tell whether it is a flattop or a carved top instrument. In any case, it looks like it only has that one offset soundhole, like their guitars.

I would imagine that Mandolin Brothers would be among the first to get them. They seem to carry quite a few of the guitars.

Joelh
Jun-12-2013, 7:12am
Great link. Really enjoyed the music

Caleb
Jun-14-2013, 6:59am
If they're anything like the McPherson guitars, they'll be very pricey! Beautiful stuff though.

Jim Garber
Jun-14-2013, 9:13am
I wrote to McPherson for more info and got this reply from Larry Klenc, General Manager/Artist Relations:

We have built several McPherson custom guitars for The Band Perry and Neil Perry asked us if we would build him some mandolins for their concerts. We tried several versions and came up with one that he is happy with. At this time there are only 3 made and they are all for The Band Perry. We do not intend to manufacture them at this time.

mrmando
Jun-14-2013, 3:00pm
Well, it's a pleasant-sounding enough instrument, but not terribly distinctive. The guitar is the superior axe in those videos. If Caleb's right in thinking a McPherson mandolin would be very expensive, I think the price would be mostly about the brand name rather than any inherent qualities of the mandolin.

Jim Garber
Jun-14-2013, 3:24pm
I asked Larry Klenc and he told me that the top was handcarved. I agree, Martin and not sure what would distinguish it from any other mandolin. He didn't really seem all that interested in promoting it. It is funny, tho, since at those prices for the guitars (~$6,000 and up) I would consider this practically a boutique guitar shop and not necessarily a factory but they do not seem to want to get into making mandolins. There are really plenty of excellent makers out there in that range.