PDA

View Full Version : Now taking my F2 to the showers......

pefjr
Jun-09-2013, 12:24pm
Out here in the desert you have to be innovative. The tiny crack along the back and the points was starting to spread. I put a clamp on the top point and put a mando stand in the bathroom. Now I take it into the bathroom when I shower, it picks up a little moisture and maybe(keeping my fingers crossed), it will stop the creeping cracks. One on these days I will have to build a music room with humidity controls. Oh,.... I also discovered the throne room has great acoustics.

Astro
Jun-09-2013, 12:27pm
Better to buy a cheap humidifier from Wallmart for your bedroom and keep the humidity constant at 45%. The shift back and forth can be problematic too.

shortymack
Jun-09-2013, 12:39pm
Im in the desert too. I found in our climate is to always keep it cased with a humidifier. Dont leave it out or on the wall even with a room humidifier. Its a constant battle not only with the climate but the AC and heat. How bad are the cracks? The best thing to do is stabilize them then have them repaired/glued. Im not sure the shower is going to do it. A good trick is putting the mando in a garbage bag sealed with a humidifier to get them swelled shut. Then go from there. The down side is no mando if its your only one.

allenhopkins
Jun-09-2013, 12:55pm
In-case humidifier. With the humidifier (let's say for the sake of argument it's a Dampit) inside the instrument, then a plastic bag around the instrument, then inside the case.

And a hygrometer to measure the ambient humidity. An in-case one would be even better, if you could squeeze one into the F-2 case (problematical).

A ten-minute daily dose of higher bathroom humidity won't do the trick, IMHO. The wood shrinkage indicated by the widening cracks is a wake-up call.