PDA

View Full Version : First "JUNE" archtop

juneman
Jun-07-2013, 9:31am
Here is a pic of my first archtop with the 3rd coat of finish.

stevedenver
Jun-07-2013, 9:33am
more pics please-top neck headstock-looks mighty sexy from your pic
what is the center strip wood please?
what is lower bout width?

juneman
Jun-07-2013, 10:09am
hi steve, here are the specs and some additional pics. top is german spruce. back flame maple with center strip of cocobolo laminated between two pieces of zebrawood. neck is flame maple with same laminations. they run the length of the guitar and up the side under the endpin jack. body depth is 3 1/4. width is 11 1/2 upper bout and 16 lower. paralell bracing on the top. ebony peghead overlay. it will have gold hardware and my own design tailpiece,very similar to a Benedetto style but with strings coming out the front inside of the tailpiece. I am still not sure of the pickguard. when I strung it in the white ,I made a cocobolo for it. its been thru some changes,since it is my first archtop. I may make a ebony pickguard for it. you can check out the build on my facebook page. thanks walter johnson

billhay4
Jun-07-2013, 1:20pm
Nice job, Walter.
Bill

Pete Jenner
Jun-07-2013, 2:03pm
Cool.

fatt-dad
Jun-07-2013, 4:08pm
Really great! How's the weight? I'm just guessing for your first it's hard to know carving and such.

f-d

juneman
Jun-09-2013, 3:45pm
fatt-dad not really sure of the actual weight or what it should actually be. I have had the wood for the archtop for about 7 or 8 years. I picked an old archtop copy at a flea mkt for about 30 bucks and took it apart. between that and Benedettos book and my ideas that's what I started with. it was to big for my mando plate duplicator so I rough carved it with a Lancelot on my grinder. then regular grinder with 24 up to 80 grit then finger planes etc. I had the old arch top plates to go by even though the were pressed and not carved. that Lancelot is one wicked tool!! walter johnson