PDA

View Full Version : "New Primitive"

doc holiday
Jun-06-2013, 1:37pm
A new project just announced by Adam Steffey.....Great mando tunes....previews on Itunes
"New Primitive". The version of "Chinquapin Hunting" is a good 'un. Wondering who else plays on this project? Release date June 18. :mandosmiley:

Dennis Ladd
Jun-06-2013, 2:03pm
Hoo ha! Listen to samples here (Come on, July 16!): http://www.amazon.com/New-Primitive/dp/B00CVHIL38/ref=mb_oe_o

acinva
Jun-06-2013, 2:16pm
You can also hear Adam talking about this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkqUQkU2oOI

Alan

Scott Tichenor
Jun-06-2013, 2:45pm
We have a full length interview with Adam in the can about the new recording but are waiting until it is available on amazon.com to publish it. For some reason the powers handling it haven't been able to get pre-ordering in place for it there. Nice piece and good photos of the mandolins he used, etc.

doc holiday
Jun-06-2013, 2:48pm
ITunes says June 18 for release...I'll have to listen to all the previews & see if I can figure out who's who

Scott Tichenor
Jun-06-2013, 4:56pm
It's a remarkable recording and is getting plenty of airplay on my iTunes (advance copy). Mike Compton recently did a recording with a frailing banjo player and I really dig this combination of hard driving bluegrass style mandolin and frailing banjo. There's plenty of that on Adam's disc of course as his wife Tina is a great frailer. The fiddle playing and some of the guest singers are just wonderful. Really love this recording and am happy with how the interview turned out. Looking forward to the availability of the music so I can publish it.

Mike Romkey
Jun-06-2013, 5:14pm
Heard some of it early on. It's great stuff. Totally agree on the mandolin/frailing combination.

coletrickle
Jun-06-2013, 5:25pm
Great sound. I am sure the old time guard will point out this is not old time music but who cares...this is great music. Another good recording with clawhammer banjo and mando (not on every track) is Ivan Rosenberg's Clawhammer and Dobro album. It is a great sound (accentuated with dobro of course!).

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-07-2013, 12:35am
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this one Doc. It's got MUST HAVE written all over it !!,
Ivan

Adam Steffey
Jun-07-2013, 8:36am
Thanks so much, Doc! The musicians that appear on the New Primitive project are Zeb Snyder - Guitar, Tina Steffey - clawhammer banjo, Eddie Bond - fiddle and vocals, Samantha Snyder - fiddle and vocals, and Barry Bales - bass. As Scott mentioned, there is an in depth piece that he will soon be posting here that will include photos of the mandolins used on the album (Northfield's). The tune "Chinquapin Hunting" is a duet that I did with Zeb Snyder on guitar. Zeb plays guitar on the entire album and is an absolute monster of a player. And at 17 years old, he will be making great music for many years to come. Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy the album!!
Adam Steffey :mandosmiley:

A new project just announced by Adam Steffey.....Great mando tunes....previews on Itunes
"New Primitive". The version of "Chinquapin Hunting" is a good 'un. Wondering who else plays on this project? Release date June 18. :mandosmiley:

mandopete
Jun-07-2013, 12:06pm
Sounds like a great project - can't wait to hear it Adam!

woodwizard
Jun-07-2013, 1:15pm
Great sound. I am sure the old time guard will point out this is not old time music but who cares...this is great music. Another good recording with clawhammer banjo and mando (not on every track) is Ivan Rosenberg's Clawhammer and Dobro album. It is a great sound (accentuated with dobro of course!).

Yep! Kinda grassy OT... great stuff never the less

CollingsFever101
Jun-20-2013, 12:54pm
I downloaded New Primitive from iTunes, unfortunately iTunes did not include any of the composer information for each of the 13 tracks. Has anyone here purchased the physical album from a music store? If so, would you mind posting the names of the composers of the 13 tracks found in the CD liner notes? Thank you so much in advance!

sgarrity
Jun-20-2013, 10:29pm
They're pretty much all traditional tunes.

AlanN
Jun-21-2013, 6:17am
Very prompt delivery of the CD. In a word, wonderful. Good tunes, varied grooves, and Zeb is the man!

I love it.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-22-2013, 1:55am
Mine's on order since Wed.last. I've heard the iTunes clips & i can't wait to get this CD,
Ivan

Darren Bailey
Jun-22-2013, 4:26am
Listened through for the first time this mornign and enjoyed it evry much. The clawhammer banjo works extremely well with mandolin - I think I prefer it to a roll - and the quality of recording is superb. Al the instruments are clear - and there was one solo mandolin track where I could have sworn Mr Steffey was standing beside my armchair pickin' away.
This is my favourite of his solo projects (so far). Great that people are making exactly the kind of music I want to hear.

CollingsFever101
Jun-23-2013, 8:32pm
They're pretty much all traditional tunes.

All the same, would you mind posting the composers' names?

Mike Bunting
Jun-23-2013, 9:48pm
All the same, would you mind posting the composers' names?

I imagine that since most of them are traditional tunes, no one knows the authors. That's what traditional means.

CollingsFever101
Jun-23-2013, 10:58pm
I imagine that since most of them are traditional tunes, no one knows the authors. That's what traditional means.

I understand that, Mike, but not all of them can be traditional tunes. I know most of them are, but I would just like to know which ones are traditional and which ones aren't and by whom they were composed. If most of them are traditional then it shouldn't take any time at all to indicate which ones were written by a composer.

I'm not as familiar with this old-time music as some may be since I have focused more on bluegrass music. I would appreciate the help if anyone is willing.

Mike Bunting
Jun-24-2013, 12:23am
Of the 13 tunes there are only 2 that may be composed. I found that Ways of the World is apparently a Kentucky tune.
Fun Times at Our House may be an Indiana tune called Fine Times at our house. Those are the 2 tunes that I wasn't sure of, so I'd say that they are all traditional. I would be happy to be corrected though

Anglocelt
Jun-24-2013, 2:39am
Most may be traditional but 'Who (now) will sing me lullabies?' is composed by the great folk singer Kate Rusby from Yorkshire England. It is one of many fine songs she has written and this one appeared on her 2001 album Little Lights, one of my all time favourites

Kevin

Goodness
Jun-24-2013, 12:30pm
I just listened to New Primitive in it's entirety on Spotify and I loved it. In fact, so much so that it prompted me to listen to the One More For The Road album (which is playing as I type this). Great! Just GREAT!

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-26-2013, 12:38am
From Kevin - "... from Yorkshire England.". Eeee,by 'eck,i remember Yorkshire lad. :- http://youtu.be/wPjJFv1NDBg
Gareth Hale & Norman Pace from their UK TV series. Geoff 'Boycott',the surname of the pilot,was a well know & notoriously blunt & outspoken cricketer. Yorkshire's a fabulous county & the setting for the novels "Wuthering Heights" & "Jane Eyre",
Ivan

Michael Bridges
Jun-29-2013, 5:55am
Finally broke down last night and bought New Primitive. Wow. Just some great,great music. I totally agree that the clawhammer banjo/mandolin combo works so well with these tunes, Tina is just excellent on the whole CD. Adam's sound is so big. Don't know any other way to describe it, and I don't mean loud (I hate it when my adjectives fail me), but it's the closest thing I've heard yet to my "ideal" mando sound. All-in-all, a wonderful album. Thanks, Adam!

woodwizard
Jul-15-2013, 1:55am
Of the 13 tunes there are only 2 that may be composed. I found that Ways of the World is apparently a Kentucky tune.
Fun Times at Our House may be an Indiana tune called Fine Times at our house. Those are the 2 tunes that I wasn't sure of, so I'd say that they are all traditional. I would be happy to be corrected though

Kentucky tune is correct for Ways of the World ...
written by old-time fiddler William Stepp

Stephen Porter
Jul-22-2013, 1:11pm
Thought I would chime in with a couple of comments and a question.

I downloaded the CD and gave it a couple of cursory listens and then listened to the whole thing and really started enjoying it. The tunes are great and the arrangements and musicianship are superb. One of my favorites for sure.

As to my question, is there a .PDF file with the liner notes, etc. available? I think I downloaded this from Adam's website and I seem to have just gotten the songs. If there is a .PDF available, I like to get it too.

STP

Scott Tichenor
Jul-22-2013, 1:26pm
I have a PDF version of the entire project cover, liner notes, etc. but it's of the size that I believe it's ready for the printer. Before I share something like that I'd want to get the label's permission and have sent Adam a note requesting permission or a better option. My concern is someone could start making pretty darn good bootleg versions of the entire project with that file. Unlikely, but better I ask before posting it. As soon as I hear I'll let you know.

Scott Tichenor
Jul-22-2013, 2:06pm
Here's a response from Organic:

Right now we are getting our designer to format them for itunes so that you can download them as part of a purchase, I am also planning to ad them to the Organic site for djs. I can let you know when that is done and forward the files to you and you can make sure that person knows they are available.

CollingsFever101
Jul-22-2013, 4:44pm
Oh, man! I would so appreciate having that since I purchased the album from iTunes as well. :D