PDA

View Full Version : The Brentrup F5c- July9 copy

Demetrius
Jun-03-2013, 10:51pm
I think this instrument just might be as close as you can get to a Loar, without it actually being a Loar.

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-04-2013, 9:05am
I like the look of the F5C. How does it sound? Got a clip?

Have you still got the DMM? How does the F5C compare?

Demetrius
Jun-04-2013, 9:25am
Hi there Olaf,

I actually sold the DMM... It was a great mandolin for sure.
I just felt the f5c had a lot more going on... ALOT! More.
I don't know how Hans did it but he really did something
under the hood to get "that sound".....

jmagill
Jun-04-2013, 1:28pm
What is the mandolin on the right?

Larry S Sherman
Jun-04-2013, 1:51pm
Amazing...beautiful!

What is the serial nbr? Can you post a pic of the inside label? Do I have it listed in the registry yet?

Best, Larry

billhay4
Jun-04-2013, 2:12pm
I'll second Jim's question.
Bill

Demetrius
Jun-04-2013, 2:36pm
The mandolin on the right is a Brunkalla.....
An amazing machine!

Demetrius
Jun-04-2013, 2:42pm
Label

Demetrius
Jun-04-2013, 2:49pm
More pics

Demetrius
Jun-04-2013, 3:01pm
Parts

dcoventry
Jun-04-2013, 8:27pm
Sound being a given for Hans, he can lay on a finish that is so beautiful as to make you cry. I regret giving up the Italian spruce A style I had briefly. It made my index finger hurt playing chords. Sad, that.

Jim Garber
Jun-04-2013, 8:43pm
The mandolin on the right is a Brunkalla.....
An amazing machine!

Wow, I remember his mandolins from many years ago. I think he was primarily a violin maker. Martin Brunkalla (http://brunkalla.com/MANDOLINS.html).

Demetrius
Jun-05-2013, 8:24am
More

Demetrius
Jun-05-2013, 8:51am
More

Demetrius
Jun-05-2013, 9:06am
More

stevedenver
Jun-05-2013, 9:10am
Hans does make an amazing instrument-
other than the side binding and the curlicus above and below "Brentrup" on the tailpiece-what are the differences between a F5c and PML

My PML, scooped, stripped neck, stainless frets, looks virtually identical but for the colored abalone flowers coming out of the flowerpot, and gold hardware

his finish is almost alive, vibrant yet delicate

theys a hoss

what strings are you using?

Demetrius
Jun-05-2013, 10:55am
Partssss

robert.najlis
Jun-05-2013, 11:18am
wow!

Cheryl Watson
Jun-05-2013, 11:51am
Superb looking mandolin!

Jim Garber
Jun-05-2013, 1:06pm
The last communication I had with Hans, he said he will continue to make mandolins when he can but Fs were too much strain on him. This makes this one all the more bittersweet. I am honored also to own one of his A4Cs.

jmagill
Jun-05-2013, 1:49pm
FYI, I inquired about Hans' mandolins, and on May 8, he sent me an email saying "I feel I can build a few again, and will be starting another shortly."

He also gave me his current prices (including F-styles, so I guess he will still build them), which he described as "high."

Demetrius
Jun-05-2013, 9:18pm
Hi Steve
I'm gonna answer those questions..... Just have to get some other things done tonight.
But I believe I can answer all of them...

Dem

Larry S Sherman
Jun-06-2013, 5:14am
I did find your mandolin in the registry (http://brentrupmandolinregistry.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/60809-f5-c/).

Here's a quote from Hans regarding this instrument:

“Interesting West Virginia red spruce top is way off quarter, and I ran the rift in opposite directions. Peghead, finally bought myself a set of Waverly’s for this one…broke the bank! Back…WOW, look at the voids!!! OMG look at that big void in the middle!

Well, you knew it wasn’t a void…Actually took a one piece back, sawed it in half, slipped the joint about 1/4″ and reglued it. Dovetailed bone point.

.040 SS frets I used SS frets because that’s all that’s available in .040 wire (as far as I know). Charlie had a bunch of it made in 18% and SS, but the 18% is all gone. Seems as though the SS is a plus though as the .040 is so narrow.
It is a flat F/B. I went from flat to radius back to flat as a personal preference. I build ‘em both ways though.”

I hope to have an F5C someday! Enjoy your Brentrup!

Best, Larry

stevedenver
Jun-06-2013, 9:38am
not sure why im posting this, other than for brentrup types
and im certainly not widely experienced in knowing many high end mandos

but last night, i was able to compare, from the listener's position, an 82 nugget A to my PML
played by a superb player-(winfield winner and judge)

breifly, the my brent PML really did sound, to my ear, very gibson/loar- like in overall sound character-hadnt been aware of this until the side by side

this was mightily apparent with the nugget-which i would crudely analogize, using and example of overall tone or character of something that many might be more familiar with, to the open woody sound of an ellis or collings, but different and 'better' to my ear, -a superb balance of mid, woody, sustain, resonance, and bright clear treble-not better, but significantly different-the type of sweet warm baalanced mando sound i really love the most about mando

the PML, is also great, just a little more focused, and oddly a bit more resonant in the lower mid and bass, with great projection, not unlike the difference between a flat top and an archtop guitar

just in case any one was wondering-it is rare to get the opportunitu to compare, at least in my world

maj34
Jun-06-2013, 9:55am
Steve asked about the major differences between the Brentrup F5C and the PML. I have a PML, which happened to be Hans' next-to-last F5 before his mandolin-building hiatus. The graduation/voicing are the same on the F5C and the PML, but from what I remember, there are lots of fit-and-finish differences. F5C and PML vary in the following ways: fancy flamed wood vs. moderately flamed wood, triple-bound vs. single bound, bone corner points vs. ivoroid points, engraved silver tailpiece vs. stamped nickel tailpiece, waverly tuners vs. elite tuners, mother-of-pearl nut vs. bone nut, more involved varnish process. I'm not sure if that is a definitive list of differences, though.

Demetrius
Jun-07-2013, 10:34am
I'll try to post a video in the next couple of days...

stevedenver
Jun-21-2013, 5:05pm
Steve asked about the major differences between the Brentrup F5C and the PML. I have a PML, which happened to be Hans' next-to-last F5 before his mandolin-building hiatus. The graduation/voicing are the same on the F5C and the PML, but from what I remember, there are lots of fit-and-finish differences. F5C and PML vary in the following ways: fancy flamed wood vs. moderately flamed wood, triple-bound vs. single bound, bone corner points vs. ivoroid points, engraved silver tailpiece vs. stamped nickel tailpiece, waverly tuners vs. elite tuners, mother-of-pearl nut vs. bone nut, more involved varnish process. I'm not sure if that is a definitive list of differences, though.

just confirmed with Hans, varnish finish is identical

and fwiw , my PML tp is engraved name only, it is not stamped, im certain, as there is nothing on the back side showing deflection from stamping.

im familiar with hand engraving, it always has a certain free hand look no matter how superb,
but the tailpieces ive examined , including mine, at least the Brentrup name, is not likely hand engraved, but machine engraved id venture, but beautifully and seamlessly among the lettering

FWIW im not trying to be nit picky, but in the interest of future Brentrup enthusiasts trying to determine features, ie as a resource thread.

Brandon Flynn
Jun-21-2013, 5:35pm
I always had my eye toward the PML, but alas, I could never afford one being in college. That is a fine instrument you got there, congrats.

f5joe
Jun-21-2013, 10:21pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/66981

Mandobar
Jun-22-2013, 6:47am
Is this the mandolin for sale in the classifieds?

f5joe
Jun-22-2013, 7:27am
Is this the mandolin for sale in the classifieds?

It appears so to me.

Mandobar
Jun-22-2013, 8:58am
this is the second, "best thing since sliced bread" thread I've seen lately, and then suddenly they are for sale....mmmm

stevedenver
Jun-22-2013, 1:19pm
conspiracys abound ........LOL

all i can say, if youre lucky enough to be able to get a Brentrup, you shant be disappointed
ive got no pony in this race
there have been a few recently, and i tried to get a second, but it seeemd to get sold despite my interest and inquiry

Mandobar
Jun-22-2013, 2:29pm
no, but the clandestine endorsements get a bit wearing. it detracts the attention from the mandolins themselves.

f5joe
Jun-22-2013, 2:49pm
Hans work is fabulous. Just noticed the puffing up thread followed by the for sale thread. Great mando though.

Demetrius
Jun-23-2013, 8:28am
I wouldn't read into it too much... When we buy mandolins we purchase them cause we like them... Then, we play them and get to know them more. We either realize it completely suits our style or it doesn't. Doesnt mean its not a great mandolin. I've played loars that didn't give me exactly what I was looking for. So what... Its what we do, We buy them and sell them and try something else... Till we find one that you just don't want to let go of. Hans is a great builder who really nailed down a terrific mandolin, so I just wanted to share pics with people who may care. That's all.....
Then I just found an a style that so far I love and suits me a little more. So I decided to let this one go, and maybe whoever buys it will consider it the one they won't want to let go of. Maybe I'll regret it, maybe I won't. But that's how it goes. God bless

Demetrius
Jun-23-2013, 10:30am
P.s. but to be honest, I just went and picked up the Brentrup and without doubt it's one of the greatest mandolins I've played.
Yes It is for sale, if it sells, it sells, if it doesn't, it doesn't... I put it up for sale that day,cause I was feeling completely satisfied with my A that day. I fully admit, when it comes to this stuff I change like the weather.
:)

f5joe
Jun-23-2013, 12:29pm
I fully admit, when it comes to this stuff I change like the weather.
:)

You are not alone! Good luck.

stevedenver
Jun-23-2013, 2:59pm
this is the second, "best thing since sliced bread" thread I've seen lately, and then suddenly they are for sale....mmmm

you know, i hadnt realized this
and i now fully understand and appreciate your comment
guess im a bit slow to pick things up

i thought it was someone who had recently purchased and was showing off his new baby

doesnt change how i feel about Hans' work, at least based onmine, but i now see your point

Mandobar
Jun-23-2013, 7:04pm
My comment had nothing to do with Hans' work for sure.

Larry S Sherman
Oct-25-2013, 6:06pm
...maybe whoever buys it will consider it the one they won't want to let go of.

I think it has found a permanent home!

Larry