PDA

View Full Version : McCartney and Sound City

johnmarkva
Jun-03-2013, 2:30pm
I searched and couldn't find that this has been posted. Saw the documentary "Sound City" the other day and thought the song Paul McCartney did was cool with a very unique mandolin. Even did some slide work on it. Anyone know much about that thing? Here's a clip of him playing it that isn't from the documentary.

http://youtu.be/s5bU7NNiabQ

jaycat
Jun-03-2013, 7:16pm
If Bo Diddley played the mandolin, that would be the one he would play.

Gottliver
Jun-04-2013, 6:20am
R u sure that is not a cigar box tenor ukulele?

johnmarkva
Jun-04-2013, 9:12am
Good question. That just might be it.

journeybear
Jun-04-2013, 11:41am
This has been previously identified as a tenor guitar (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?91007-), furst noted in the Hurricane Sandy Relief Concert on 12/12/12. I defer to Ed Goist and his studious reportage on this matter. ;) I saw "Sound City" too, but somehow failed to mention this. :redface: Guess I was less surprised this time. The movie is a must-see for rock fans, recording tech aficionados, and gear heads of all ages.

johnmarkva
Jun-04-2013, 1:52pm
I would never argue with Mr. Goist who I have had the pleasure of meeting and doing business with. I also agree with you about the documentary.

Pete Counter
Jun-04-2013, 4:21pm
R u sure that is not a cigar box tenor ukulele?

Might as well be....

Dave Hanson
Jun-05-2013, 2:01am
Whatever it is sounds awful.

Dave H

journeybear
Jun-05-2013, 12:35pm
The overall sound is pretty sludgy, all right. I don't think the instrument itself is the cause of it all. You know, you stretch a wire over a magnet and run the signal through a bunch of electronics and you get what you get. You can be playing a cigar box tenor guitar, a mandolin, a Les Paul, or a Squier, the main difference, other than the quality of the gear, is the tuning., Well, the way it's played, too. :whistling:

jaycat
Jun-05-2013, 1:58pm
"I've got blistahs on me fingahs!!" (and eardrums too!)

(Thanks, Don.)

johnmarkva
Jun-05-2013, 2:46pm
I have to give a nod to a legend like Mr. McCartney rocking out and getting creative with the instruments he plays. This particular performance and overall sound wasn't nearly as good imho as the one in the documentary. It sure looked like a fun thing to play for rock or blues.

journeybear
Jun-12-2013, 7:46am
BTW & FWIW: Sir Paul is the guest on The Colbert Reprt tonight. Whether he will play this during his performance segment is anyone's guess. But between Colbert's off-the-wall interviewing style and McCartney's glibness, the interview should be a hoot!