PDA

View Full Version : another Ebay Gibson

neal
Feb-04-2005, 5:37pm
I think this fella thinks it's really a Gibson (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3780663653&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)
But at least the "ask seller a question" link works now.

Jack Roberts
Feb-04-2005, 5:43pm
Didn't Gibson make a mickey mouse eared model at one time? It looks like this could be one of those.

I'd see if I couldn't get a picture of the label.

Jack

Tom C
Feb-04-2005, 5:46pm
i sent him an email...
FYI> That is no way a Gibson. Body shape all wrong, fretboard wood and shape are wrong. Body scroll pathetic. Headstock all wrong -Shape,color. F-holes,bridge tailpiece are all wrong. I could go on.

Jack Roberts
Feb-04-2005, 5:55pm
Tom C: I hear you, but why would anybody copy a mickey-mouse eared gibson?

neal
Feb-04-2005, 6:03pm
No, not a mickey mouse ear. Look close, you'll see that it's a flat-top/back. Too-large body, not gracefull at all. Cheap import/Gibson decal, and the music store that appraised it should be taken out back and whipped.

jim simpson
Feb-04-2005, 6:05pm
If you look closely at the poor quality pictures, you can see that it is a scroll not the "lump". Yeah, it's a scroll but not a "Gibson" scroll. I thought this went away. I guess the seller did not believe the info that was emailed to him before as it is still being represented as a "Gibson". The bid amount at the last time of listing certainly didn't give me the impression anyone really believed it was what was being represented (or misrepresented).

neal
Feb-04-2005, 6:08pm
What's sad is that it's up past 150.00. Lots with no feedback, either uninformed, or perhaps, gasp, a shill?!?!?

Philip Halcomb
Feb-04-2005, 8:17pm
Gibson did make a wierd shaped body like that at one point. I always point to the tone poems collection because D. Grisman documents a lot of rare instruments in there. He played an F-5 with that body shape, although it didn't have the Mickey Mouse ear on it. However the wood on the back definitely does not look characteristic of Gibson, and even in their worst years they would never put that #### hardware on them.

Rob Powell
Feb-04-2005, 9:23pm
Sure wish Charlie of Big Joe would wiegh in on this...

f5loar
Feb-05-2005, 12:50am
I told him twice it was not a real Gibson and finally heard back from him. I told him best dump that guitar shop appraisal and get someone like Gruhn or Mandolin Bros who know mandolins to take a look since it looks like this guy won't take our expertise on it. Forget the Mickey Mouse 70's thing, nowhere close to that. And not a prewar bell shaped like the one Grisman used on tone poems. It's a homemade piece of junk someone had to put "Gibson" at the top. Why not "The Gibson" if you are copying a prewar Loar F5? Well that speaks the nationality of it's maker and my bet is his neck was real red.

jim simpson
Feb-07-2005, 10:34pm
I emailed the seller to ask if the music store that appraised it told him what year it was made. He responded that they said somewhere in the 80's.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Feb-07-2005, 10:42pm
No wonder Gibson had a hard time selling mandolins in the eighties!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

TommyK
Feb-08-2005, 2:16pm
He excuses:
"EBAY RELIST!! Ebay pulled the auctions earlier because they thought some high jacked my account and was using it illegally. I now have got the matter resolved and ready to sell these items once again. Good Luck"

What would lead EBay to believe his account was hijacked? I thought they pulled it because some estute mandolincafe users blew his cover.

And--- what with all the free expert advice f5loar was giving him, you'd think he'd get the hint if he genuinely thinks he came across a 'Vintage' Gibby.

Hey f5loar!,
since you've estabished a 'business relationship' with this guy, ask him the name of that local Kentuky mandolin shop which made that professional appraisal. Maybe someone else here does business with them and can ask 'em about it when they're down-town (if they exist). Or, maybe they'd care to defend thier apprasal (or honor).

f5loar
Feb-08-2005, 10:54pm
Most up front and honest sellers will post the questions you ask of an item. Notice this seller does not. All we can say at this point is a fool and their money shall soon part!

Bill Snyder
Feb-10-2005, 10:07pm
It is now up to $420.00 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

fatt-dad
Feb-10-2005, 11:13pm
And the winning bid is. . . .$550.00!