PDA

View Full Version : Chord progressions using either 3rd minor or 3rd dom 7th chords

Jon Hall
Jun-02-2013, 10:09am
I teach a mandolin student that is trying to learn to hear the chord changes that include chords other than the I, IV and V dominant. I know plenty of songs that use the relative minor (vi chord) and VI dominant and a lot of songs using the ii and II dominant chords but I'm having difficulty finding songs that use the iii minor or III dominant chords. For example the Bm or B7 in the key of G.

My student is primarily interested in gospel songs but is not opposed to bluegrass and country if they have positive content.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Markus
Jun-02-2013, 10:24am
Old Home Place uses it.

Bruce Clausen
Jun-02-2013, 10:41am
A few from long ago:

I-III-IV in Stand by your man (and The old home place).
I-III7-vi in Georgia on my mind and many others.
I-iii-IV in tunes like The Weight and Lay Lady Lay (not exactly gospel material though).

Michael H Geimer
Jun-02-2013, 10:59am
I-iii-IV in tunes like The Weight and Lay Lady Lay (not exactly gospel material though).

Along the same line, Wild Horses and Ol'55.

Willie Poole
Jun-02-2013, 11:21am
Make Me A Pallet On The Floor....In C, goes to an E-7th just before the F chord...

allenhopkins
Jun-02-2013, 11:52am
Tennessee Waltz goes I-III-IV. Several of Elizbeth "Libba" Cotten's songs, such as Freight Train and Oh Babe, It Ain't No Lie, played out of C position, use the E or E7 chords. Some of the variants of the Railroad Bill/White House Blues/Cannonball Blues tune do the same. The country song Abilene is another, as is the blues Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out.

Pete Martin
Jun-02-2013, 6:55pm
Norman Blake's version of White House Blues uses the III7. Many waltzes use the IIIm.

jaycat
Jun-03-2013, 7:17pm
Tupelo Honey.

doc holiday
Jun-03-2013, 10:15pm
Dixie Hoedown has the B minor in the B part & is a great tune.