PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Hunters

mtucker
May-29-2013, 8:45pm
Recent vid of Mike and Steve...Steve's on a junior.
oJYgsANQsR4

sgarrity
May-29-2013, 9:20pm
Good stuff right there!

Cheryl Watson
May-29-2013, 9:49pm
Really exceptional fiddler too. Killin' lettle squirrels may be murder, but they sure did not murder that tune!

Bernie Daniel
May-29-2013, 10:33pm
Mike is better at getting that "fiddle sound" out of a mandolin than anyone on the planet I think. I just wonder why he is wearing three layers instead of just a shirt like the rest!

Pete Jenner
May-30-2013, 12:24pm
Good to see the Eureka flag as the backdrop.

Jim Garber
May-30-2013, 1:35pm
It is funny tho, on the youtube page there is no mention of Steve. This is Steve Gilchrist, right?

Pete Jenner
May-30-2013, 1:56pm
Yep.

mtucker
May-30-2013, 4:58pm
good stuff, here's another...
TnTb0xyXPso

Wilbur James
May-30-2013, 6:02pm
Thanks, The squirrel Hunters is one of my favorite songs to play, I really liked the tempo in the video, not to fast, Compton and everyone there is nuthin but good energy!

sgarrity
May-30-2013, 7:56pm
Maybe if I get a cool hat I'll be able to play that good! ;)

Mike Black
May-30-2013, 9:37pm
Really exceptional fiddler too. Killin' lettle squirrels may be murder, but they sure did not murder that tune!

My understanding of the tune is that it's not about squirrels. Squirrel Hunters were civilian men from Ohio who assisted the federal government in defending Cincinnati, Ohio from Confederate attack in 1862.

Great video by the way. :mandosmiley:

goose 2
May-30-2013, 9:41pm
Thanks for posting those. I love traditional bluegrass but you really can't beat the energy and vibe of good old time music. I love seeing Steve Gilchrist playing and old Gibson. I really like that one the best luthiers ever is a dedicated musician and lover of the music. My favorite tract on Tone Poets is the one he and Dawg did together. He ought to put out a cd. I would buy it. Thanks Steve Gilchrist for the music and the instruments!

Mike Bunting
May-30-2013, 10:17pm
My understanding of the tune is that it's not about squirrels. Squirrel Hunters were civilian men from Ohio who assisted the federal government in defending Cincinnati, Ohio from Confederate attack in 1862.

Great video by the way. :mandosmiley:

That's what my readings say too. They were a civilian militia in the Civil War.

mtucker
May-31-2013, 10:45pm
Travelin squirrel hunters

8_SBwrdiGWw

Mike Bunting
May-31-2013, 11:44pm
Hate to say it but I think this version is too hopped up. Maybe this what happens when an old time tune is 'grassified. I'm a huge fan of Ronnie McCoury of course and the band is terrific but this version just doesn't do it for me.

sgarrity
May-31-2013, 11:53pm
A couple versions I like:

20WIuHCVzwM

The one that probably started it all
gV98pfwsM3k

DMFcvoYnu7Q

Mike Bunting
Jun-01-2013, 12:39am
Yup.

usqebach
Jun-01-2013, 10:46am
Not sure who that is on fiddle with the McCourys, playing position looks like Jim Van Cleve, face looks like Gabe Witcher. At any rate, it does annoy the bajabbers out of me that he starts the first phrase on a downbow, then repeats it on an upbow.

Tommy Jarrell would be spinning in his grave!

Well, I see John Hartford does it as well.

I sit corrected!

Doesn't that Ellis in the Billy Bright Trio sound glorious!

And Gads! I never knew Mike Compton had a ponytail!