PDA

View Full Version : VINTAGE ORIGINAL DOBRO RESONATOR 8 STRING MANDOLIN on Ebay

davidb1
May-25-2013, 12:59am
Anyone have any idea on the age and value of this item .thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190839784902

houseworker
May-25-2013, 11:53am
It looks to be a Regal made instrument (they built them under license), which places it between 1929-41. I'm guessing somewhat that it's a model 210, available 1939-41. Hopefully someone with more expertise in this area will be along soon.

What's it worth? Given that it's a seven day listing with no reserve, we're about to get a pretty accurate market price. I'd hazard a guess that it'll finish reasonably close to $1000 dollars.

It's a business seller with a clear return policy, so the worst you'd be out is the return shipping. It's not a good time at the moment, or I'd be bidding on this myself.

Chief
May-25-2013, 3:22pm
I've got one just like that that I traded some cheaper mandos and $$ for the aprox. value of $1000. If you could get one for anything under $500, it would be a steal. Just know that they often need neck resets that cost a couple hundred bucks. They're sweet little mandos. That one appears to be aprox. 1935.

allenhopkins
May-25-2013, 11:46pm
When I bought mine 15+ years ago, you could find 'em for $300 or less. Check and see if it's marked "National Dobro Co.," which would place it after the National/Dobro merger (c. 1934).

Agree with Chief about the probability of neck joint problems. Mine needed a re-set; Dobro/Regal were notorious for using less-than-top-grade wood for parts like neck blocks. Not a deal killer, IMHO.

Vernon Hughes
May-26-2013, 7:21am
I restored one of those a while back-theres a thread here somewhere with pictures..The tailblock had compressed and the neck had lifted but nothing had broken or separated.It was a time consuming bear to say the least. The head and tail blocks appeared to be basswood,too soft for the intended purpose but I got her up and running again.I'd make sure it's not suffering either of those ills before i'd take a stab at it.Luckily I did the work myself as a restoration project (I only paid 125.00 for it),I don't know what a bonified luthier would charge for that kind of work.

Grommet
May-26-2013, 9:28am
Last couple of years, I've seen several of these Dobro mandos change hands for around $650. In that range I think it would be a good score.

Scott

j. condino
May-26-2013, 10:54am
Last couple of years, I've seen several of these Dobro mandos change hands for around $650. In that range I think it would be a good score.

Scott

That is waht I sold mine for a few years back. Keep in mind that they can be one hell of a jam buster in the wrong hands!

j.
www.condino.com

houseworker
May-27-2013, 2:11am
Went for $785. Feels like a fair price.