PDA

View Full Version : orpheum mandolin

john boyd
May-20-2013, 11:02pm
102315Bought this mando as a StradOLin,but believe it to be an Orpheum ,name on headstock illegible,looks to be very similar to a Strad. Were they made by same maker? F holes identical,maple ply back spruce top,

MikeEdgerton
May-21-2013, 9:18am
What you have is a Strad-O-Lin genre 2 pointer that was labeled Orpheum. I've had two of the same with the exception that mine were straight A shape and not 2 pointers. Nice snag, I'd love to have one of those. Post some pictures of it in the Strad-O-Lin social group.

These mandolins were built by an as of yet unidentified builder and many were built for the trade to be labeled with other manufacturers names.

usqebach
May-21-2013, 9:23am
John,

That's neat-o! Could you post more pics, please?

Thanks,

Jim Sims

MikeEdgerton
May-21-2013, 9:48am
There are several pictures of Strad-O-Lin genre two pointers in the Strad-O-Lin social group including pictures of Orpheum branded models like this.

JeffD
May-21-2013, 11:39am
Isn't that a sweetie. How does it sound?

bmac
May-21-2013, 2:31pm
Stradolins generally sound quite good. the points shouldn't alter the sound at all compared with a standard f hole Stradolin. You can often find original cloud tailpieces on eBay or clamshell tailpieces... Check the Stradolin photos to find which was normally used on these. Lucky guy....