PDA

View Full Version : Nava Black Walnut Mandolin (Standard V)

GarY Nava
May-18-2013, 10:23am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-zer4Z09bg
Hi Guys,
I thought that you might like to see my latest Standard Mandolin that I’ve just completed. This is number 5 of my austerity special model. Here’s the spec, some photos and a video too! Hope that you like it.
Cheers Gary

American Black Walnut back & sides with maple bindings,
European Spruce soundboard with a bound soundhole,
American Black Walnut neck with maple lamination and carbon-fibre reinforcement strips,
Rosewood, compound radius fingerboard with MoP dots &side markers, and wide gold evo frets,
Burr Walnut head overlay with Golden Age tuners,
Solid bridge with removable saddle,
Open-pour shellac satin finish.

Marty Jacobson
May-18-2013, 10:46am
Sounds great, looks perfect.

Ron McMillan
May-18-2013, 10:54am
Sounds great, looks perfect.

That about sums it up!

Daniel Nestlerode
May-18-2013, 11:39am
Really need to get up to Norfolk some time soon!

Daniel :)

Pete Jenner
May-18-2013, 2:21pm
As usual, a lovely piece of work Gary. I think your playing has improved - we must have the same teacher. ;)

GarY Nava
May-19-2013, 12:12pm
As usual, a lovely piece of work Gary. I think your playing has improved - we must have the same teacher. ;)
Thanks Pete- you should have seen/heard the out takes!!
Cheers Gary

JEStanek
May-19-2013, 2:11pm
Very Nice. That's a favorite wood combination for me.

Jamie

Shelagh Moore
May-19-2013, 4:26pm
Nice.. as always!

rb3868
May-19-2013, 6:26pm
i love the sapwood and maple binding

Ivan Kelsall
May-20-2013, 3:10am
Gary - To call that an 'austerity' model does it a disservice. It's very lovely indeed. OK,not quite as 'posh' as your other instruments,but it still has that look of quality about it & the sound is first class,wonderfully open & resonant,
Ivan

Joe Mendel
May-20-2013, 8:33am
That is beautiful, black walnut is one of my favorite woods. I think it is extremely under-rated as a tone wood. Great job, Gary.

JeffD
May-20-2013, 9:47am
Very nice instrument. I don't want to give you any ideas, but that instrument has features and tone quality of many a more expensive instrument.

billhay4
May-20-2013, 10:26am
Nice! as always, Gary.
Bill

GarY Nava
May-20-2013, 10:42am
Very nice instrument. I don't want to give you any ideas, but that instrument has features and tone quality of many a more expensive instrument.
I know that, you know that; I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up;)
Thanks for the great comment- cheers Gary