PDA

View Full Version : My 1922 Gibson A-2 recording of Kentucky Mandolin.

Vernon Hughes
May-13-2013, 8:32pm
Just for a hoot I audio recorded my '22 sheraton brown gibson A-2. I use J-75 strings and a cumberland acoustic bridge...I used very little reverb enhancment and the EQ was set flat.. I played the lead and harmony parts,also the guitar break.. but i'm no guitar player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPve5q1dVMo&feature=youtu.be

usqebach
May-13-2013, 8:47pm
Nice playing. Your A-2 has the striking highs it's known for.

I just got a '23 that's in the shop for a setup. Hope it turns out as well!

Vernon Hughes
May-13-2013, 8:58pm
I've found that the wide grain topped sheraton browns are the best sounding of the gibson oval A's..in my opinion..

Jim Garber
May-13-2013, 9:15pm
Fantastic!! Pretty impressive guitar playing for someone is isn't a guitar player. :)

Steve-o
May-13-2013, 9:30pm
Yes, very nice picking. I wish I could play my '22 Gibson like that.

almeriastrings
May-13-2013, 10:34pm
Very nice picking. Not heard a harmony part for that tune done like that before. It works!

sgarrity
May-13-2013, 10:36pm
Sounds great!

Ron McMillan
May-14-2013, 12:43am
This is just depressing. I don't have a hope of ever playing so well as that :(

Dave Hanson
May-14-2013, 1:59am
Nice picking.

Dave H

Bill Snyder
May-14-2013, 10:38am
Only 47 views of the video (audio). That is not enough. This is too good for that so here it is embedded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPve5q1dVMo&feature=youtu.be

fatt-dad
May-14-2013, 12:29pm
Vernon,

That was just a great recording. To those that want to give up, just bear in mind, 25 years ago when I moved to Richmond, Vernon was teaching mandolin lessons. So, he seems to have kept his talent. (I know this 'cause I had a lesson, but at that time in my life, I just couldn't commit to taking more lessons.)

f-d

AlanN
May-14-2013, 12:40pm
Yes, lovely playing there.

He has been a force for decades. I bought a Heights of Grass record (CMH label) back in the day - 1980 or so - on which Vernon played mandolin. His take on Alabama Jubilee still thrills.

You wanna talk leisure suits?!

Denny Gies
May-14-2013, 12:55pm
For a minute there I thought it was Bill. Nice job.

houseworker
May-14-2013, 1:17pm
Great performance, really terrific.

billhay4
May-14-2013, 1:20pm
Nice!
Bill

terzinator
May-14-2013, 1:27pm
Brilliant. Love that tune. We do it, too. (But I'm not gonna post a recording! eeek!)

Vernon's great playing aside, it just goes to show you don't need to have a specific type of mandolin to play bluegrass. An A-style oval-hole works just fine, apparently.

mandotool
May-14-2013, 3:10pm
[QUOTE=vhughes2000;1164704]I've found that the wide grain topped sheraton browns are the best sounding of the gibson oval A's..in my opinion..[/QUOT
Plenty of tight grain snakeheads that will blow your hair back too...
I favor Maple backed oval A's (my 2 cents)

mandotool
May-14-2013, 3:21pm
Yes, Thanks much for the tune... nice to hear those Dawg licks tossed in...very tasty..

loess
May-14-2013, 4:22pm
That snake puts just the right amount of haunt in there, especially once those harmonies kick in.

Chip Booth
May-14-2013, 5:35pm
That's great stuff! I love hearing members play, it really gives me a better picture of who they are.

I'll have to try putting some J74s on my snake, it has silk and steel on it now and it doesn't sound anything like that.

Vernon Hughes
May-14-2013, 7:10pm
Mines not a snake,just a plain ol' A-2..and AlanN,lets not go back to the leisure suit days.. Has it been that long?..Dang i'm old!

ajr
May-15-2013, 12:08am
Just for a hoot I audio recorded my '22 sheraton brown gibson A-2. I use J-75 strings and a cumberland acoustic bridge...I used very little reverb enhancment and the EQ was set flat.. I played the lead and harmony parts,also the guitar break.. but i'm no guitar player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPve5q1dVMo&feature=youtu.be

Great playing Vernon, including your Guitar playing.

I guess if you've been playing for as long as F D suggests, you're going to strike a few lucky notes here and there.

BTW your Hughes A5 is looking good as well if anyone hasn't seen it.

I'm still looking for a Gibson Pineapple Tailpiece without a Mando attached if you find one.

All the best

Vernon Hughes
May-15-2013, 4:50am
I hope to buff out the A-5 late this week or sometime next week and get her strung up..I'll post a vid when it's done.

ajr
May-16-2013, 8:45am
I hope to buff out the A-5 late this week or sometime next week and get her strung up..I'll post a vid when it's done.

I look forward to seeing it Vernon
All the best