PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin and space travel

Ted Eschliman
May-13-2013, 10:33am
Okay, it is a guitar, but I must say, this makes the ongoing past threads regarding flying with your mandolin seem trite in comparison.

KaOC9danxNo

Best David Bowie cover. Ever...

Alyx Hanson
May-13-2013, 10:37am
Chris Hadfield is kind of my hero for a number of reasons. This is one of them.

We should have sent Canadians into space ages ago. :)

neil argonaut
May-13-2013, 10:49am
A mandolin would make more sense for space travel, being that bit smaller.
It would also be a good chance to finally establish whether downstrokes are louder because of gravity or just wrist action ;)

JEStanek
May-13-2013, 11:42am
Great video!

OldSausage
May-13-2013, 12:32pm
Chris is the first real man in space.

Joe Mendel
May-13-2013, 1:36pm
Very cool and he does a great job of the song. I am also very glad to see that he has enough national pride to play a Canadian guitar. Those Larrivee parlors a great little guitars.

Pasha Alden
May-14-2013, 10:19am
An interesting point about down strokes Neal!
I would certainly do space travel with a mandolin - wondered how sensitive they are to air pressure?
But seriously I would like to know does anyone have tips and tricks for travelling with a mandolin? Almost took mine along to the North of our country by aeroplane, but something warned me not to do so. I did not know if the over head compartment can hold my mandolin without any injury. Was certainly not checking it in.

Ivan Kelsall
May-15-2013, 1:05am
I saw that on UK TV last night,along with a few of the incredible photographs that he'd taken while passing over the UK. A truly awesome guy !,

Ivan

journeybear
May-15-2013, 9:35am
Wonderful stuff! I have to say, that first shot of the guitar floating down the cabin was pretty scary. Then I realized that without the acceleration of gravity, its speed would not increase dangerously. Still ... use a strap. Please!

Until now, all I remember seeing connecting mandolins to the universe have been comparisons of the shapes of scrolls and spiral galaxies. This is something else altogether, a brave new world. Can we get David Grisman or Sam Bush up there, just to see what happens? They're kind of out there already, but to get them all the way there ...

BTW, if a string breaks in a vacuum, does it make a sound? The answer is, yes, you just can't hear it. ;)

OldSausage
May-15-2013, 9:40am
BTW, if a string breaks in a vacuum, does it make a sound? The answer is, yes, you just can't hear it. ;)

I got a string in a vacuum once, and the vacuum broke :(

journeybear
May-15-2013, 9:53am
I am shaking my head, :disbelief: rolling my eyes, :confused: and laughing my ass off. :)) Multitasking!

teleman73
May-16-2013, 8:44pm
I saw this this morning and almost posted it, looks like someone else beat me to it. Although it would be cool if he had brought that larrivee with him out of Canadian pride, that particular guitar has been in the space station for quite a few years. I saw a article shortly after I watched the video that stated that the fuel costs to bring a guitar into space are about $75,000. If just for this video I think its worth the investment. I don't even like David Bowie but this is still one of my favorite videos I've seen in a long time, its just SOOO cool.

John L
May-16-2013, 9:59pm
Chris Hadfield is kind of my hero for a number of reasons. This is one of them.

We should have sent Canadians into space ages ago. :)

You did, starting with Marc Garneau 25 years ago. There have been a whole bunch since - this is the third time for Hadfield.

Bertram Henze
May-17-2013, 1:38am
I wondered over the strap question, too. You'd need something stiffer than soft leather, because gravity won't be there to pull it straight. Also, if you lost your pick, you'd have got approx. 6 times more surface to search, except if you find it's inside the instrument body: good luck shaking it out. And when that is solved, we talk about that instrument stand you brought :whistling: