PDA

View Full Version : epiphone MM50-E

Orkun Hiçyılmaz
May-13-2013, 3:49am

I am happy with this mandolin what do you think about it?

sbarnes
May-13-2013, 12:57pm

I am happy with this mandolin what do you think about it?

i have a regular (non electric) mm50.....
they don't get a lot of respect on this board but i like mine a lot....
when i first got it used i hated it....almost immediately re-listed it for sale
but i had the mando voodoo and a good set up and i like it....plays great and sounds pretty good....not as good as my eastman but not bad either....
only thing i don't like about it is the fretboard extension...i can't seem to play it w/o the pick clicks.....otherwise i think it fills a niche

Orkun Hiçyılmaz
May-29-2013, 10:23am
there is no mando voodoo here in turkey i will take it to a violin makek to see if he can diz

Dr.Jeff
May-04-2014, 7:15am
I got mine from GC when they had them on sale with an additional 15% off. My price was $425. I then had it set up by a luthier. I have been getting personal lessons in town and also doing video lessons from Mike Marshall (albeit one way). I find that playing it so far is easy and pleasant. I tried a professional grade instrument that a musician had that I met, and I liked the action on my epi better. I like the sound on it so far also. I must admit that I am a complete novice on any kind of stringed instrument and that my background is forty years playing drums and percussion. I think that the issue of instruments is like most things; you can find something that you can afford and that makes you happy and that really is the bottom line. My plan is to enjoy my instrument until my skill level demands better (if that day ever comes); and then worry about considering an upgrade. My philosophy in life is to not worry about a problem until it actually becomes a problem; not while it is only a theoretical one. So, my advice to you: If you like your Epi, enjoy the heck out of it and don't look for one that is better until you decide that you need one; not because folks told you that you do, but because you feel that you have outgrown the one you have.

David Lewis
May-04-2014, 10:16am
I've had mine four days. Haven't had time to do much. But I don't know why they get so much hate and distrust. Sounds good, plays well.

kkmm
May-04-2014, 10:22am
I think it has to do with the sound, Kentucky mandolins have really good sound (at least to my ears). I own neither of these, but have tried them in the stores.

CES
May-04-2014, 10:42am
One appears in the Rend Collective video, "My Lighthouse," which our youth praise band is working on..wonder if that's the mando used in studio, or if they just used it in the video because it
was filmed on a boat ;)

Sounds fine, btw, for what they're using it for...get yours set up well and play it, play it, play it!!

Bobby Marshall
May-04-2014, 1:44pm
If it sounds good, it is good.

If it has adequate intonation and holds tuning, the rest is up to the player - picking, touch, timing, and your ear for music.

Orkun Hiçyılmaz
May-04-2014, 2:00pm
Well the violin luthier here said he cannot set up my mandolin because he has never done it before. Maybe I can tell him what to do for seting it up. But can some one here help me? What should I ask him to fix or setup?

pheffernan
May-04-2014, 2:23pm
PM robster, board regular Rob Meldrum, for his mandolin setup guide.

CES
May-04-2014, 2:45pm
Check out frets.com as well. It's not the easiest site to navigate, but there's some great info in there!