PDA

View Full Version : Instructional material

Feb-25-2004, 8:49am
I'm trying to decide between an octave mandolin and a mandocello. #One aspect of the decision is what will I do when I get it and start trying to learn to play it. #Any recommendations for beginner level material. #Admittedly it was a quick search but the Octave instruction at Folk of the Wood was the only thing I came up with on my first shot.

Thank you,

Jim M.
Feb-25-2004, 11:40am
John McGann, who posts here, has a good book on octave mandolin method. I believe you can get it from his website, at www.johnmcgann.com

Zan Macleod has an instructional video, available from Homespun, that is supposed to be good.

Chris Smith has a book call Celtic Back-up that is good. I know Elderly has it but there are probably other places.

I don't know of any mandocello instruction books, but I think there may be some that are classically oriented. You might want to post that question in the classical section.

Steve L
Feb-25-2004, 3:58pm
Mad For Trad has a bouzouki tutorial CD from by Gerry McKee that is very good. #There's also a book/tape combo called "Exploring the (Irish?) Bouzouki" by Jim Cowdery that may or may not still be in print.

All things considered, I think the octave will take you to more practical places than the mandocello, but i'd love to own a mandocello as well one day.

Dolamon
Feb-25-2004, 4:42pm
I have the Gerry McKee tutorial and the John McGann Book. McGann's is a much more thorough and complete introduction to the potential in the instrument, rather than McKee's "Do it this way" approach.

The exercises and thought process John McGann used in putting this book together is remarkable. It definately is worth having on your book shelf. It isn't the easiest book but ... it is professional and will take a while to work through. The incremental steps you pick up as your explorations of each individual bar are enlightening.

As an aside ... John McGann is also offering a really remarkable improvisation book, "Developing Melodic Variations on Fiddle Tunes - Mandolin Edition" which is an eye opener whether you're applying it to mandolin or O/M class instruments. This particular book has about 16 tunes written out five ways - on one page (Due to the format, some of the tunes can take between, five and nine pages to present). It starts with learning the melody, then explores sylistic variations from slides and slurs to syncopation - to counter melody ... each variation done on its own line. This is a great book for virtually anyone who wants to push their envelope - O/M, Mandolin or Mandola.

I think MidContinent, Elderly and John all have these books for sale.

Apr-06-2004, 6:51am
I bought John McGann's book, still waiting for my Octave to be delivered (late April, early May from Freshwater). #Since I don't have the instrument yet, I haven't tried to actually use the book but just looking at it, I thought it a little short on absolute beginner stuff. #I downloaded/printed the beginning Octave pages from Folk of the Wood and it seems too complement the McGann book nicely. #

Link to Octave Lessons (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page3.htm#octavelessons)

jmcgann
Apr-07-2004, 6:45pm
Thanks y'all.The transcribed material in my book is geared toward the intermediate/advanced player, although the technique stuff (all the text) is very important from out of the gate. Glad to hear it is useful!

There's not a lot out there for mandocello per se, but if you read notation, you can have a blast playing stuff like the Bach cello suites. About 15 years ago, I borrowed a mandola and mandocello and a 4 track machine, and recorded a bunch of classical stuff, much of it piano music arranged for those instruments (plus guitar). The mandocello parts were a blast, if strectchy, to play!

Dolamon
Apr-08-2004, 6:22am
Tim - I'd read, explore, experiment and reread the introduction to John's O/M book - several times. There is a TON of material and concepts in there which take a while to absorb. Then - choose JUST one tune which fits your interests and work on it barre by barre. I found that when I limited my choices in this book (especially) I could learn both the tune and the stylistic mechanisms - and apply it to other tunes I already knew.

But, you're right, there is a big lump to the learning curve in this book - but it's worth the work. Use the Cochran ideas until your comfortable with them - then move on. John is in an entirely different league and I wonder ... when will he be putting on workshops? (hint - hint)

Mandobar
Apr-08-2004, 9:41am
john and david surette have sponsored a mandolin festival/workshop for 2 years now in concord, nh.

jmcgann
Apr-11-2004, 8:36am
Come to Boston for a private seminar! We can work all day, you can record it and go home with tons of stuff to work on... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

harmon
Apr-17-2004, 2:13pm
I really enjoy John McGann's book and find it extremely useful and I would also recommend Tim O'Brien's new DVD on Homespun Tapes. It compares Mandolin and Bouzouki techniques and would be very useful for someone who already plays mando.